Buttermints recipe?

Started by GingerPye, March 24, 2014, 12:34:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GingerPye

Well.  I have found several buttermint recipes to try --- most of them are pretty similar.  So I tried making them yesterday. 

Ummm, does NOT work without milk or butter.  I used my milk free margarine and rice milk.  Only 2 T of rice milk, but apparently the milk protein does have something to do with the consistency.  I had an oooey goooey mess on my counter yesterday.  No way no how was I going to get anything resembling mints out of that mess.

I have not found a "vegan" recipe yet.  I'm thinking it is something like pudding --- another food I have not been able to replicate without cow's milk.
DD, 25 - MA/EA/PA/env./eczema/asthma
DS, 22 - MA/EA/PA/env.
DH - adult-onset asthma
me - env. allergies, exhaustion, & mental collapse ...

becca

Yeah, I do not think it is a common item to do homemade.  They are a candy so readily available, if you do not have allergies, so maybe not too many people trying to make them out there.  I was going to suggest coconut oil, but it would be soft above certain temps and a liquid mess as well.  Did your grandmother make hers on her own? 
dd with peanut, tree nut and raw egg allergy

GingerPye

no, I'm sure she bought her buttermints.  Common thing to buy back in the 60s and 70s, as I recall.  But I did find several recipes, and if we didn't have milk allergy, I would make them.  Looks easy enough.  And they are so yummy.
DS, 22 - MA/EA/PA/env.
DH - adult-onset asthma

becca

The milk ones also use cream cheese, right?  That gives the texture and thickness.  Well, maybe some do not use cream cheese, but I have seen them with.
dd with peanut, tree nut and raw egg allergy

GingerPye

yes, some of the recipes I found had cream cheese., but I had found some without.
DS, 22 - MA/EA/PA/env.
DH - adult-onset asthma

rebekahc

I saw a big bag of those mints just the other day at Sam's Club.  No milk on the ingredients.  It listed cream of tartar, so you might search recipes with that.  Here's one http://www.cooks.com/recipe/ay50a66s/after-dinner-mints.html.  It seems like a lot of work, it's probably worth finding out the brand of the Sam's ones and checking for safety - I think it was Richardson's brand, but I'm not positive.
TX - USA
DS - peanut, tree nut, milk, eggs, corn, soy, several meds, many environmentals. Finally back on Xolair!
DD - mystery anaphylaxis, shellfish.
DH - banana/avocado, aspirin.  Asthma.
Me - peanut, tree nut, shellfish, banana/avocado/latex,  some meds.

GingerPye

Huh.  That recipe looks something like taffy. 
DS, 22 - MA/EA/PA/env.
DH - adult-onset asthma

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 365 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Spell the answer to 6 + 7 =:
Please spell spammer backwards:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview