login
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Costco Food Court allergen menu?  (Read 35956 times)

Description: anywhere? online or in store?

twinturbo

Costco Food Court allergen menu?
« on: April 01, 2014, 10:57:33 AM »
I cannot find a Costco food court allergen/ingredient list anywhere but one old one on Pinterest and Pinterest for me is about as useful as putting my hand in a blender. I'm going in store today and will ask but would like to look before going in.

Peanut we can't handle even in small amounts of XC.
XC with tree nuts & egg is fine to our knowledge.

Mainly looking at DS1 able to eat a slice of pizza and the soft serve yogurt. I'd wipe down the area with a Clorox wipe before we eat since they sample peanut items, or take it out to the car.

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
Re: Costco Food Court allergen menu?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2014, 10:59:50 AM »
Uhhhhh-- they DO have nuts in the area-- I wouldn't, but that is me.
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

twinturbo

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2014, 11:32:19 AM »
Peanuts? Tree nuts are NKA. It could change at anytime but the history w/tree nuts is shared lines and food prep area. Test results are negative as well. The only thing left are IOFC. Some we have clearance to introduce at home.

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2014, 02:30:46 PM »
Gotcha-- but the nut mix is a course grind/chunks-- not sure that I would bet that it doesn't contain peanuts.  Trying to recall if there's a warning sign there.  Thinking that there isn't.  Guess you'd have to ask.

Western U.S.

Offline maeve

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2014, 03:31:55 PM »
They have loose nuts that the spoon over a sundae and sometimes the spoons they give you for the frozen yogurt are right next to it. A stray nut can easily get into the spoon container (it's happened to us).
"Oh, I'm such an unholy mess of a girl."

USA-Virginia
DD allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, and egg; OAS to cantaloupe and cucumber

twinturbo

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2014, 03:54:40 PM »
 ok, if I understand correctly the sundae is a regular menu item with loose mixed nut combo that includes peanut? I wish they'd post something online the only chart I could find mentioned almonds and pistachio. Of course this was some crazy Pinterest chart with emoticons standing in for allergens.

twinturbo

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2014, 04:05:34 PM »
Just called my local Costco food court. They checked w/everyone including manager three times: they don't serve any nuts in their food court although they know there's nuts all over Costco in the floor area for sale. They did volunteer they didn't know about all their separate ingredients manufacturing process but no nuts and no nut products in the food court. Once upon a time they had an almond covered ice cream bar but they stopped serving that a while back. Only sundae topping they offer is strawberries in a raspberry base.

Next I'll go in person and ask. I may ask to see their yogurt base label and dough to look for egg.

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2014, 07:29:20 PM »
Wow-- that's GREAT news.

I know that we've used their polish sausage hotdogs at home-- so those should be okay, at least.  DD loves them.

The other things that I can think of which might pose XC risk for egg/tn-- pesto on Turkey provolone sandwiches (which are awesome, just fyi) and the chicken bacon things-- melt?  Stick?  Bake?  Yeah-- "bake" I think it is.

Also-- chocolate syrup used for mocha freeze-- never seen the label, not sure if it's Hershey's or Ghiradelli-- the latter has TN xc risk, as per Burgerville supply sheets.

Western U.S.

twinturbo

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2014, 07:57:31 PM »
Before I get excited I'm going in for some surprise checks to see if they're ramming down some trail mix samples or peanut M&Ms while making pizza KWIM. That's what's awesome about life with food allergies grilling complete strangers about their snack habits and hygiene.

Offline tigerlily

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2014, 08:54:18 PM »
Burgerville!!!! I know this adds nothing to the thread. No Costcos to visit in our area but learned new info. I will meanwhile count down the days until we are in the land of Burgerville.....
DS1-PA, TNA, SFA
DS2-NKA

Offline becca

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2014, 07:18:56 AM »
I have never seen loose nuts at our Costco(where they serve the cafe food, that is), and our dd has had the frozen yogurt a few times.  I admit, it is a bit of a risk, but I our Costco only serves pizza, the chicken/dough thing, hot dogs, the yogurt and a berry smoothie.  It is a small area, not at all what  I would call a food court.  So, maybe others are larger and serve more selections?  Space is quite a premium, and simply not to be had around here, so we tend ot have smaller versions of the big stores.   
dd with peanut, tree nut and raw egg allergy

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2014, 09:56:04 AM »
They are pretty standard, I think, Becca.  Ours has much more seating than some I've seen-- but the menu is very much the same, so far as I have seen on the west coast.

Western U.S.

twinturbo

« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2014, 11:04:06 AM »
@tigerlily Unbridled enthusiasm is always welcome.

I'm computing the choices between McFlurry hands capping a shake, peanut toothpaste hands capping a Frosty, and Nutty Landmine Costco's nut free food hut. Burgerville is the best choice but not always convenient.

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2014, 11:45:29 AM »
I really, really want one of those provolone pesto sandwiches now.    :hiding:

Western U.S.

Offline maeve

« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2014, 11:53:39 AM »
They are pretty standard, I think, Becca.  Ours has much more seating than some I've seen-- but the menu is very much the same, so far as I have seen on the west coast.

The menu can vary it does at the 3 Costcos I can shop at that are all within a 15 mile radius of my house. One Costco serves french fries among its offerings, the one I usually shop at had the nut topping.  It's been a while since we've gotten a snack at one and the last two times DD was not with me; I made a quick trip near closing to get what I needed.  At one point, the vanilla frozen yogurt had egg in it; we haven't gotten it since then. DD usually gets the chocolate. DD has also had the hot dog and pizza but it's been a while for that as well.  The food courts used to carry a Caesar salad with the dressing in a separate packet.
"Oh, I'm such an unholy mess of a girl."

USA-Virginia
DD allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, and egg; OAS to cantaloupe and cucumber