FYI on "SAFE" Cadbury Eggs from the UK, sold at PFP and elsewhere ...

Started by ctmartin, April 03, 2014, 01:22:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ctmartin

I recently got it in my head that I wanted to buy a Cadbury Creme egg for my PA daughter for Easter this year and remembered hearing that the ones from the UK were considered "safe."  After perusing the PFP website and seeing their extortionist pricing, I decided to check out the British import shop down the street.  They had all kinds of Cadbury eggs, but all of them had "may contain" warnings.  He assured me these were imported, but I figured maybe there was some slight difference in packaging that I was missing.  So, I decided to contact Cadbury directly, and this is the response I received:

Thank you for your recent enquiry about Cadbury's Crème egg.

I am only able to provide information concerning eggs sourced from the UK, for a response on the Us sourced eggs please contact the Hershey Company:

http://www.thehersheycompany.com/brands/cadbury/dairy-milk-chocolate-bar.aspx

As a caring company and one that realize the trust our consumers have in our products, as well as declaring on the wrapper products that contain nuts we feel it is correct to bring to everyone's attention a product that might contain even the remotest traces. A number of products that do not contain nuts in their recipes are manufactured on the same production line as products that contain nuts. The machinery is flushed and cleaned throughout after nut products are produced. Even though the risk of cross contamination is extremely small it is nevertheless a possibility we cannot ignore.

Thank you for taking the time to contact us.

Kind regards

Kealan Corr

Consumer Relations Team

I am extremely angry at PFP for marketing this product as "nut absent" or "without the risk of cross-contamination,"  when I am not sure they have anything to back this up, nor does the packaging reflect this.  Is the risk minimal?  Sure, but I think their wording is EXTREMELY misleading, and might just cause someone to purchase an egg at the exorbitant price of $2.50 per egg, not counting the $8.99 shipping, and think they are getting a risk free product (or, I should say, a product that is "without the risk of cross contamination")  Of course when I e-mailed  them as much, I got a response providing me the ingredient list ... really helpful!  :rant:

Jessica

If it helps there is a girl from the UK on one of the allergy support groups on facebook and she recently contacted them and was told by Cadbury UK that the cream eggs are made in a nut free facility.
USA
DD18-PA/TNA
DD16 and DS14-NKA

Jessica

btw I believe PFP has to pay full retail for these eggs (not like the Canadian food they get) plus shipping so I'm not sure I'd call it "extortionist pricing".
USA
DD18-PA/TNA
DD16 and DS14-NKA

ctmartin

Seeing as "British Delights" is selling a 6 pack on Amazon for $12.95 (plus free shipping), I would say $2.50 an egg is still pretty ridiculous!  Again, price isn't necessarily the issue ... it's the wording that these are "without the risk of cross contamination" that bothers me.  If they had some evidence of this fact, I would assume a company would follow through and supply that information, at least in the form of an e-mail saying, "hey, this is what we heard and why our website states this ... "  Instead I get a copy of the ingredients in response.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 365 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Three blonde, blue-eyed siblings are named Suzy, Jack and Bill.  What color hair does the sister have?:
Please spell spammer backwards:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview