FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Discussion Boards > Teens and Food Allergies

Going away to college with LTFA

<< < (2/14) > >>

twinturbo:
In our case, no even to the magnetic stand-alone. IMMV. It had to do with the described activity of cooking being prohibited, I think. Much like they aren't supposed to have cots in office to sleep or use it as some sort of occupancy but that's for offices to prevent faculty from squatting.

CMdeux:
Silly me-- I thought it was to prevent faculty from SLEEPING.  At all.  ;)

Mac's point is a really good one-- if she has a 504, take a copy of it with you to disability services.  She should qualify for one in higher-ed, too. 

rebekahc:
At DS's college they are not allowed to have anything with open heat source like toaster, hot plate, etc. but they are allowed to have closed heat sources like George Foreman grills, crock pots, electric kettles, etc.  I wonder if they'd be able to work a compromise with you on that?  You'd be surprised what all you can cook on the George Foreman!

That being said, IMO, if your DD can successfully eat in restaurants she may be able to eat in the dining hall.  I have a very low threshold for peanut (both contact and airborne reactive) and was able to do it.  Granted, I didn't eat a lot of variety, but I was able to find food.  The schools I attended where I dined in the dining hall had various stations like grill, pasta, pizza, hot entree, wok, etc.  The grill, pizza and pasta stations were always safe.  Plus the baked potato bar.  I wiped my table when I sat down, kept my food on the tray and avoided anyone eating nuts/peanuts.  Breakfast was the worst with pb on toast/waffles/bagels, but I'm not really a breakfast eater, so I just didn't go.  If I was hungry I grabbed a snack in my room.  DS, with a slightly better threshold than mine, has been able to eat in the dining hall, also.  His university posts all the menus online and you can filter them by allergen.  He uses that to see what to avoid and even if he should avoid a particular dining hall (like the vegetarian one).

FWIW, DS and I both live(d) in doubles.  We haven't had a problem with our roommates being unwilling to keep nuts/peanuts out of the room.

Obviously, if our egg or milk allergies were very low threshold the dining hall would have not been an option.

nonuteen:
Sorry it took me so long to respond.  It's been a stressful, busy few weeks!! 

To follow up with some of your ?'s.  No, she does not have a 504 but Yes, we have spoken with special services and they said she does qualify for an ADA medical room.  The cost is higher but it will provide her with a larger single and her own sink etc to help reduce risk and cross contamination issues that will come with a roomate. 

DD is worried.  She is very social.  She is worried she is going to feel isolated and get depressed and I understand that concern also.  CMDeux-  I agree that sometimes (esp for our FA kids) being mature enough to realize what they need to keep them safe vs what they think is "normal" is absolutely essential.  It was heartbreaking to watch the moment she really realized how tough this was going to be for her vs her peers.  I think staying home and going to the local college would have been much safer and easier for her (and me! ) but she also really wants some independence and is really looking forward to the college experience.  I am hoping we can find a safe balance where she is able to go but with proper precautions.  She is very responsible and has worked hard but has always had our safe home environment where I do all the grocery shopping/meal planning.  She CAN do these things but is unbelievably busy in high school.  My point is, she does have a decent head on her shoulders and always carries her Epi.

Ideas on how she is going to be able to safely eat and get through her freshman year without the meal plan or a full kitchen??  She will have a larger fridge, access to a grocery store, and they will allow her to have a George Foreman in her room.

Aside from all the scary thoughts running through my head, I also worry about her surviving on Enjoy life bars for a full year!!  That can't be healthy!:) There is also a Chipotle, Dominos and Wendys nearby so that will help also.

chase:
My son is a Freshman in college and is PA only.  My son has done well in the dinning hall like Rebekanc's son.
He is also in a double room.  His roommate has no problem with not bringing any food that was not safe into the room.  His roommate had classmates all through school with food allergies.  Most teens know someone with allergies.

If your daughter is not on a food plan she can still go in and socialize with others while they are eating. Our kids (mine anyway) has had many social events where food is served and he just doesn't eat.

Most dorms have a communal kitchen.  She can keep safe cooking pans/etc in her room. Students get pretty tired of eating dorm food and I'm sure would love to share a meal she cooks in the dorm kitchen.  If a communal kitchen is not safe ask if she can bring a hot plate/toaster oven into the communal kitchen.  Also my son has a microwave and refrigerator in his room.

I hope she has a great Freshman experience!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version