imagelogin
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Going away to college with LTFA  (Read 33157 times)

Description:

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
Re: Going away to college with LTFA
« Reply #30 on: July 11, 2014, 09:52:36 AM »
That kind of cluelessness might be worth transferring over. Yikes.
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
« Reply #31 on: July 11, 2014, 12:00:42 PM »
... or at least an exemption from purchasing a meal plan that you absolutely cannot use.   :-/

BeachGirl's experience is exactly what those screen shots are pointing out-- it's evidence of an underlying lack of understanding.  I'm also deeply suspicious that food allergy is grouped together with Kosher, Halal, and Vegan "needs."  It's not that I don't think that food services ought to be providing that info-- it's just that for someone with food allergy, their life is on the line with a single bite.  That ought to warrant a bit more concern and care, IMO, than the others.  Grouping them together implies that they aren't given that additional care.

This is a big reason why we can't really consider DD living in the dorms.  Because they'd NEED to exempt her and allow her to have dedicated food-preparation materiel in her (single) room, and that's probably a precedent they don't want to make.   The only thing that she'd be permitted to have is a micro-fridge combo.  The answer that housing has indicated is that she can "meet with a dietician" or that some dorms have (communal) kitchen facilities.   :-[

Again-- the details REALLY matter.  We'd have thought, based on some of the things that they told us at orientation/visitation, that this school was "excellent" in terms of awareness and management-- and then I looked closer.  My DD might not have noticed some of those gaps/lapses, but I knew what they signified right away.    If they are missing the OBVIOUS stuff, then you can bet that they don't understand co-processing issues worth a darn, either.
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Offline ajasfolks2

• Global Moderator
  • Committee Member Firebird
« Reply #32 on: July 11, 2014, 02:11:28 PM »
We found so much variation in the level of awareness of the schools.  UC San Diego is fabulous with food allergies.  They want to be the gold standard in the U.S. for how colleges handle food allergies.  UCLA, by comparison, still doesn`t realize that margarine, mayonaise, tortillas, and pancake mix are not ingredients, no matter how many times I tell them that.  They think if tuna salad lists "tuna, mayonaise, pickle relish, celery, and eggs", that is an ingredient list.  It is pretty pathetic that they are so clueless.  I end up having to avoid foods that might be safe if only they would provide accurate information.

Thank you for the additional details.

Is this where I blame iPhone and cuss like an old fighter pilot's wife?

**(&%@@&%$^%$#^%$#$*&      LOL!!   

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #33 on: July 12, 2014, 01:05:32 AM »
I'm thinking, though, that the allergen may mAke a huge difference here. Just peanut is so incredibly different than eggs, peanut and some treenuts. DS has eaten out widely with peanut--all his life--and frankly, it's so much easiest for him than for me (with shellfish and sesame). Now, for the last year he has actually ImmunoCAP tested positive for shrimp. Surprise! Biu the kid of course would never eat shrimp. NQ he won't even allow them in his SLIT drops, and I want that so he'll have a tolerance.  Anyway, he's never had a reaction to shrimp, and he eats tortilla chips that I won't when we go out to eat. 

So I'm saying "just peanut."

I digressed so much.

But--I think (all things considered) just peanut is a different ball game than MFA--especially if that contains milk, egg, wheat or soy.

I think this would be very similar to a restaurant experience (and ds has eaten in a couple of college cafeterias at least 10 times). And he eats in many restaurants.

Offline GingerPye

« Reply #34 on: July 12, 2014, 12:17:44 PM »
DD had a safe lunch yesterday at her orientation, prepared specially for her.  So glad that it worked out for her.  She had taken her own lunch in case it didn't work out.
DD, 25 - MA/EA/PA/env./eczema/asthma
DS, 22 - MA/EA/PA/env.
DH - adult-onset asthma
me - env. allergies, exhaustion, & mental collapse ...

Offline nonuteen

« Reply #35 on: July 24, 2014, 09:34:50 AM »
Gingerpye-  That's awesome!  So glad you had a great orientation experience!

At our orientation last month, we already knew DD would not be able to eat the food and it was the first time I think she realized how hard this might be for her.  The college SAYS it labels well and I see may contains signs on everything that actually contains an allergen.  Unfortunately, they have so many student workers in their kitchen that they say they are unable to be sure about cross contamination and there are MANY nut containing items in their dining hall including a nut bar and a stir fry with peanut sauce.  They are getting there with labeling, just not there yet, so we don't feel comfortable with dd eating there. 

Paparenttoo-  Awesome!!  We are in Ohio.  Maybe we should have looked into Michigan:)

Rebekahc-  I would love to hear your George Foreman ideas!  Looks like she might be using it ALOT!!

Offline rebekahc

• Global Moderator
« Reply #36 on: July 24, 2014, 10:11:35 AM »
This is the model we have.  http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000A7W4Z2/ref=wms_ohs_product?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It has different removable plates - waffle, grill and flat griddle.  Between those three, there's so much you can cook on it.  The flat griddle can be used like a skillet and can even be used to bake cookies.  It doesn't look like this particular model is available any more, but maybe you can find a similar one?
TX - USA
DS - peanut, tree nut, milk, eggs, corn, soy, several meds, many environmentals. Finally back on Xolair!
DD - mystery anaphylaxis, shellfish.
DH - banana/avocado, aspirin.  Asthma.
Me - peanut, tree nut, shellfish, banana/avocado/latex,  some meds.

Offline nonuteen

« Reply #37 on: August 06, 2014, 09:14:41 AM »
Can't find the George Foremen with multiple plates:(  We can find the one with one set of removable but not the extra...boo!  We also just bought the hamilton beach egg sandwich maker which  she is excited about.  Hope it works!

Only 2 weeks til move in!  Letting go is SO hard.  Staring to feel a bit anxious...

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #38 on: August 06, 2014, 09:54:36 AM »
Ours is The Griddler by Cuisinart. It has two removable plates, one side flat and the other for grilling. It opens up flat. We love it. We had a smaller one for about five years and got this one last Christmas. I didn't mention it because based in pictures, the Foreman seems to. Have a slimmer profile.

Ours has settings for both panini and griddle.

Offline rebekahc

• Global Moderator
« Reply #39 on: August 06, 2014, 10:32:27 AM »
What we like about the one we have is the griddle has a raised edge so it works as a shallow skillet, too, and that's the feature we use the most.  Here's one that has an even deeper edge that looks pretty good.  http://www.amazon.com/George-Foreman-GRP4EP-Platinum-Deep-Dish/dp/B003U4UUBC/ref=sr_1_23?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1407338833&sr=1-23&keywords=indoor+grill+with+removable+plates
TX - USA
DS - peanut, tree nut, milk, eggs, corn, soy, several meds, many environmentals. Finally back on Xolair!
DD - mystery anaphylaxis, shellfish.
DH - banana/avocado, aspirin.  Asthma.
Me - peanut, tree nut, shellfish, banana/avocado/latex,  some meds.

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
« Reply #40 on: August 06, 2014, 03:06:41 PM »
Oh, man, that DOES look like an awesome tool, rebekah.  THANK you.
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #41 on: August 06, 2014, 06:08:59 PM »
DS is moving off campus this year, and I am deeply concerned about the shared kitchen.  He leaves in less than 3 weeks.  *Sigh*

I've started cooking and freezing so we can stock the freezer when we take him up to school.
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

Offline nonuteen

« Reply #42 on: August 06, 2014, 07:09:00 PM »
GoingNuts-  This is probably going to be our situation after this year so would love to hear how it goes.  Is he going to have his own labeled pans?  (That is what we were assuming our daughter might do) 
Great idea about stocking the freezer.  I would love to do that but our drive is close to 3 hours so not sure if food will keep temp? and I am worried there will be a problem and her fridge won't be delivered yet or something...

Rebekah-  Thank you and Macabre-  Thank you!  They look awesome and should really help her make some decent food in her room!  Going to research and order one asap.

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #43 on: August 06, 2014, 07:42:19 PM »
Our drive is over 6 hours.  It will be fine in a cooler.

I'll talk to him about labelled pans and dishes.  He gets really annoyed with me when I start speaking allergy. ~)
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

Offline nonuteen

« Reply #44 on: August 06, 2014, 08:09:25 PM »
Our drive is over 6 hours.  It will be fine in a cooler.

I'll talk to him about labelled pans and dishes.  He gets really annoyed with me when I start speaking allergy. ~)
[/quote
Glad to know my child isn't the only one!! :)