FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Specific Food Allergies > Peanut/Tree Nut Allergy

Lala's DS-- passing a peanut challenge and REDEVELOPING the allergy

(1/14) > >>

AdminCM:
Pray for ds- peanut challenge tomorrow: I can't believe this day is finally here

lala's DS peanut challenge, and the subsequent redevelopment (?) of the peanut allergy.

This is a thread that parents SHOULD read when undertaking a food challenge of any kind.

Macabre:
I think about this a lot.  And with the reaction symptoms that kids doing baked milk and baked egg routinely get--that are acceptable--it makes me wonder about this.

CMdeux:
Me, too. 

It *really* freaks me out in some ways, in fact...

and it's the top reason why we've proceeded SO cautiously in ramping up the dose with milk and egg both.

Carefulmom:
This is a big reason I have not put dd in a peanut desensitization study.  I think it is great that some on this board have had such good results, but I don`t think there are any long term studies, so there is no way to know if they are going to be allergic in the future.  Dd is doing great on baked milk, really great.  She has no symptoms now when eating pizza.  However, the difference is that in baking the milk, the protein is broken down.  As some of you know, dd "passed" a milk challenge two years ago by drinking a few tablespoons of milk and then four days later had a reaction at home.  The peanut desensitization isn`t baked.  I wonder what would happen if they tried studies with baked peanut such as pb cookies.  They should do a study on that.

CMdeux:
It doesn't change the recognition site enough, apparently, Carefulmom.

It's not that it isn't a good idea-- it's just that some proteins types are heat-labile, and some are not.

Egg and milk proteins are in the former category, and seed storage proteins of ALL types very definitely are not-- if anything, heating tends to increase allergenicity (perhaps by removing/altering masking portions of the protein and allowing for even better recognition by IgE).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version