FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Lala's DS-- passing a peanut challenge and REDEVELOPING the allergy  (Read 44409 times)

Description: **passed challenge with allergy**

Offline Mookie86

Re: Lala's DS-- passing a peanut challenge and REDEVELOPING the allergy
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2012, 01:45:10 PM »
I was told that odds of recurrence go down with more time that has passed.  ds2 passed his PN challenge four years ago.  I'm still nervous sometimes that it could reappear.

Offline cmf

We should also keep in mind that many people do outgrow food allergies & they never come back. 

Agree! My son has out grown egg, sesame, anchovy, soy, hazelnut , walnut and barley. The only one that has resurfaced is peanut....You just  need to be on the alert...just in case-it can happen but not always.

Offline ejmm

I was formerly known as "lala" on the previous site.  I had problems transfering my account over, so here I am if anyone has any questions.

It's funny- I didn't even read this over again because I didn't want to re-live it.  It was such a horrible experience for our family.

:Hi.  Have recently joined the site.  I really feel for you.  We are all trying to do the best for our kids and it is difficult because science does not know the right way, yet.  Our son was very allergic to egg and dairy (outgrown egg but still contact reactive dairy).  Never had a peanut reaction or positive RAST or postive SPT.  Turns three.  Wait till 5?  More research saying start younger?  So we took the middle approach and started at 3.  Full body hives.  Argghhhh....and the guilt.  Anyway, Rast peaked at 4 and went to <.3 before bumping up to .65.  Going for SPT and ara h2 and then considering challenge.  I am curious, did you have skin prick tests done or just the RAST prior to challenge and was ara h2 available?

I hope you are feeling ok.  Time heals a lot.

K

« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2012, 02:57:37 PM »
Lala/Justme,

I just want to thank you again for sharing your story.  My dd passed a food challenge a couple of days ago, even though she had some hives on her face.  The allergist told me skin reactivity can be one of the last things to be outgrown.  The allergist was no longer going to support keeping Epi's at our new school (1st day in Sept.) since she passed the challenge.

However, partly thinking of you, I asked them to reconsider and they are now going to allow me to keep them at school during this transition period.  I am hoping that she has truly outgrown, but I will keep a close eye on things.

K

Offline classicsmom

Hi I am new here. My kid just "passed" a food challenge for peanuts. Are there any links to the previous thread? I am wondering since ds unfortunately did not tell us till afterwards about very slight uncomfortable stomach. I have tried full does of peanuts multiple times since and he has had very slight tongue itching and/or very slight stomach discomfort with no distress at all. I plan on calling doc Monday. I appreciate any info.

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
The link is in the very
Pray for ds- peanut challenge tomorrow: I can't believe this day is finally here

lala's DS peanut challenge, and the subsequent redevelopment (?) of the peanut allergy.

This is a thread that parents SHOULD read when undertaking a food challenge of any kind.

Welcome!

The link is in the first post of the thread, quoted above.
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline Gray

Welcome classicsmom.  I'd probably hold off on giving him more until you touch base with the doctor.  I'd also suggest that you continue to have epinephrine available for him at all times for at least the next year.
DD passed an IOFC but is now on a small maintenance dose since she started having mild reactions at home.  This is allergist supervised - do NOT try this without allergist approval - there is a risk of anaphylaxis.

Offline justme

« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2013, 12:01:44 PM »
oops lol
« Last Edit: May 13, 2014, 01:44:07 PM by justme »

Offline LinksEtc

« Last Edit: June 03, 2014, 09:56:51 PM by LinksEtc »

Offline LinksEtc

« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2014, 08:02:35 AM »
justme ... I hope you don't mind ... I'm not trying to take over this thread ... it just seemed like the right place to ask these questions.  I can start a new thread if you prefer.

--------------------------------------------

Do you think it would be helpful if FA educational materials were updated to include more info on the rare cases of "false passes" and/or "allergy recurrence"? 

http://www.foodallergy.org/diagnosis-and-testing/oral-food-challenge
If you have no symptoms, food allergy can be ruled out.

http://www.kidswithfoodallergies.org/docs/Demystifying-Food-Challenges-for-Food-Allergy.pdf?pdf=Oral-Food-Challenges

http://allergynotes.blogspot.com/2014/04/food-allergy-and-may-contain-labels.html?utm_content=bufferd8997&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer
OFC "100% accurate"

etc.

Do you think patients should carry epi for a while after a passed challenge?

Do you think there should be certain protocols in place for post-challenge care in cases where the pass was not completely "clean" (minor and/or questionable symptoms)?

Related link:

http://allergicliving.com/2013/09/20/how-do-you-know-if-an-allergy-is-truly-gone/

My question: as allergic reactions aren’t consistent, if she doesn’t react or has only minor symptoms on the day of the oral challenge, can we be certain this allergy is truly gone? Would you continue to carry epinephrine, at least for a while?

It’s important to note that the children whose peanut allergy resurfaced generally are those who avoided peanut for a prolonged time following their oral food challenge, or they only consumed products with trace amounts, and then experienced symptoms when concentrated peanut (peanuts, peanut butter) was finally eaten.

"Diagnostic evaluation of food-related allergic diseases"
http://www.aacijournal.com/content/5/1/2
False-negative open challenges occur 1-3% of the time

« Last Edit: April 23, 2014, 03:26:32 PM by LinksEtc »

Offline justme

We should also keep in mind that many people do outgrow food allergies & they never come back. 

Agree! My son has out grown egg, sesame, anchovy, soy, hazelnut , walnut and barley. The only one that has resurfaced is peanut....You just  need to be on the alert...just in case-it can happen but not always.

Yep. This one we are talking about outgrew allergies to gluten, egg and dairy prior to the peanut fiasco. Dairy had the highest numbers; MUCH higher than peanut. I was told this was a good sign for the peanut challenge.  I was told that his low numbers for peanut was a good sign. All signs pointed in the right direction. But alas, not the case for us.

Offline justme

Lala/Justme,

I just want to thank you again for sharing your story.  My dd passed a food challenge a couple of days ago, even though she had some hives on her face.  The allergist told me skin reactivity can be one of the last things to be outgrown.  The allergist was no longer going to support keeping Epi's at our new school (1st day in Sept.) since she passed the challenge.

However, partly thinking of you, I asked them to reconsider and they are now going to allow me to keep them at school during this transition period.  I am hoping that she has truly outgrown, but I will keep a close eye on things.

K

Thanks for that. It's the reason I posted. I just didn't want any other child to go through what mine went through. I'm not saying people shouldn't challenge, but just to make others aware of things that could happen.

Offline justme

I was formerly known as "lala" on the previous site.  I had problems transfering my account over, so here I am if anyone has any questions.

It's funny- I didn't even read this over again because I didn't want to re-live it.  It was such a horrible experience for our family.

:Hi.  Have recently joined the site.  I really feel for you.  We are all trying to do the best for our kids and it is difficult because science does not know the right way, yet.  Our son was very allergic to egg and dairy (outgrown egg but still contact reactive dairy).  Never had a peanut reaction or positive RAST or postive SPT.  Turns three.  Wait till 5?  More research saying start younger?  So we took the middle approach and started at 3.  Full body hives.  Argghhhh....and the guilt.  Anyway, Rast peaked at 4 and went to <.3 before bumping up to .65.  Going for SPT and ara h2 and then considering challenge.  I am curious, did you have skin prick tests done or just the RAST prior to challenge and was ara h2 available?

I hope you are feeling ok.  Time heals a lot.

Just RAST. Ara h2 was not available at the time of his test. They opted not to skin test because they said that often times kiddos with skin issues (ds has eczema) could show hives and it not be a true reaction.

Offline justme

Didn't want to quote the entire post, but.....

"It’s important to note that the children whose peanut allergy resurfaced generally are those who avoided peanut for a prolonged time following their oral food challenge, or they only consumed products with trace amounts, and then experienced symptoms when concentrated peanut (peanuts, peanut butter) was finally eaten."

Obviously my child was not one the ones they consider under the "generally" category. We did not avoid for a prolonged time following the challenge.

Offline Gray

Didn't want to quote the entire post, but.....

"It’s important to note that the children whose peanut allergy resurfaced generally are those who avoided peanut for a prolonged time following their oral food challenge, or they only consumed products with trace amounts, and then experienced symptoms when concentrated peanut (peanuts, peanut butter) was finally eaten."

Obviously my child was not one the ones they consider under the "generally" category. We did not avoid for a prolonged time following the challenge.

Justme,

This also was not our situation.  Dd had very minor symptoms during the challenge (a couple of hives), but she was able to eat a lot.  I was told that I didn't need to worry, that it was a pass. 

Two days later, I fed her the same form of the food as was used in the challenge.  Her symptoms that day included eye swelling, hives, and itchy tongue.  The symptoms were worse than what happened at the challenge.

The allergist felt the remaining symptoms would probably resolve within a few weeks and did not think that dd needed to carry an epi (we continued to carry the epi).  I was skeptical (because I knew about your story), but I gave it a chance because I am not an expert and I was hoping that the doctor was right.

The symptoms did not resolve.  The allergist thought that I was an extremely anxious mother.  My dh agreed with the allergist.  If I had not known about your story, I might not have had the mental strength to safely get through that situation until we got another allergist.

:heart:

Many thanks to you for sharing your story.

« Last Edit: May 15, 2014, 06:13:39 AM by Gray »
DD passed an IOFC but is now on a small maintenance dose since she started having mild reactions at home.  This is allergist supervised - do NOT try this without allergist approval - there is a risk of anaphylaxis.