FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Need Breading!  (Read 5222 times)

Description:

Offline cammiec

• Oklahoma Rain Photography
Need Breading!
« on: April 18, 2014, 08:54:24 AM »
I am allergic to wheat, buckwheat, flax, rye, and oats.  (And a list of other things. Lol) I would love to find a breading I could use to make chicken nuggets and things like that.  I know they make chicken nuggets that are gluten free, but they are seasoned with garlic which I also cannot have.
wheat, buckwheat, rye, oats, flax, plum, kiwi, watermelon, honeydew melon, squash, garlic, pinenuts, pistachio
And now severely lactose intolerant

Offline SilverLining

Re: Need Breading!
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2014, 09:08:24 AM »
An long time ago, I used to make a breading for chicken balls. The main ingredient was baby pablum.  It was more a batter than a breading, and after dipping the chicken pieces in it, it was deep fried.  The original recipe I had involved chopping up the chicken, mixing ingredients and forming balls. Personally, I preferred using chunks of chicken.

Sorry I can't remember more, but, maybe you can try some experiments, flavouring with stuff safe for you,

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2014, 09:50:49 AM »
Corn meal. I've never had chicken that way, but I've had plenty of fish that way. And hush puppies. Blue corn, yellow corn--each has a bit different flavor. I don't know if you can find it free from your allergens, though.
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2014, 09:51:32 AM »
What is baby pablum actually?

Offline SilverLining

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2014, 11:32:28 AM »
What is baby pablum actually?

I know Pablum was invented in Toronto at Sick Kids, but you don't have it in the US?

It's a baby cereal.  Kind of flaked.  You add liquid (water, milk, or juice) and mix to the consistency appropriate for your baby's age.  It starts with rice, and then there are different kids, oats, etc.  personally, loved the mixed fruit.  (It was a major breakfast treat to my brother and I when we were way beyond baby food stage. Lol)

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2014, 12:14:34 PM »
We call that cereal. :)

I have heard the term, and it's either used as a derogatory term or refers to something babies eat, but it's an old fashioned term for that. It wasn't in use when DS was little where I was--or in the parenting mags and books I read.

Offline SilverLining

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2014, 01:00:26 PM »

I have heard the term, and it's either used as a derogatory term or refers to something babies eat, but it's an old fashioned term for that. It wasn't in use when DS was little where I was--or in the parenting mags and books I read.

And all pop is cola?

We distinguish between baby cereal and other cereal with the name Pablum.

Offline SilverLining

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2014, 01:05:52 PM »
Cammiec, are you able to eat Corn Flakes?  I use Corn Flake crumbs to bread chicken pieces, drum sticks, thighs, whatever.

There are some recipes on their site I think, and on YouTube.  I soak the pieces in Italian salad dressing, then coat in the crumbs and bake,

Offline cammiec

• Oklahoma Rain Photography
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2014, 01:11:41 PM »
That sounds delicious!  I actually eat frosted flakes, which is one of the three cereals I can have.  Can't do Italian dressing though, garlic =( I wonder if it would soak in balsamic vinegar?  I cook with that sometimes.

I'd never heard of Pablum!  Maybe it is similar to malt-o-meal?
wheat, buckwheat, rye, oats, flax, plum, kiwi, watermelon, honeydew melon, squash, garlic, pinenuts, pistachio
And now severely lactose intolerant

Offline hedgehog

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2014, 01:38:09 PM »
Italian dressing is just oil, vinegar, and herbs and spices.  You can mix up your own oil and vinegar with whatever seasonings you like and can have.  It works just as well as the bottled stuff, and tastes even better.
USA

Offline SilverLining

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2014, 01:57:39 PM »
Here's a slightly different recipe.

http://spoonful.com/recipes/crunchy-cornflake-chicken

You can buy cornflake crumbs, or put regular flakes in a bag and crush them with a rolling pin. 

Some of these recipes will also work with Rice Krispie cereal.  (I'm not sure they are safe for you though.  Seems to me someone here that can't eat wheat buys a gluten free rice cereal.)

Offline SilverLining

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2014, 02:00:04 PM »

A derogatory term?  I can't figure it out.

Offline hedgehog

« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2014, 02:34:30 PM »

A derogatory term?  I can't figure it out.

Trite, naive, simplistic, dumbed down. More regarding ideas than people (although by extension it does say something about the person/people behind the idea).
USA

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2014, 03:44:02 PM »
SL I'll respond to your pop/cola question in the Gray Duck thread. :)

Offline SilverLining

« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2014, 05:05:45 PM »
SL I'll respond to your pop/cola question in the Gray Duck thread. :)

:)