FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: What's in Gluten Free Beer?  (Read 3794 times)

Description:

Offline cammiec

• Oklahoma Rain Photography
What's in Gluten Free Beer?
« on: April 25, 2014, 02:56:46 PM »
I've always wondered what gluten free beer is made of.  I'd like to try it, but I'm also allergic to other things that alcoholic beverages are made of.  I wish ingredients were listed.
wheat, buckwheat, rye, oats, flax, plum, kiwi, watermelon, honeydew melon, squash, garlic, pinenuts, pistachio
And now severely lactose intolerant

twinturbo

Re: What's in Gluten Free Beer?
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2014, 03:28:29 PM »
Hops.

Offline hedgehog

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2014, 03:42:17 PM »
Hops only add flavor.  Beer is, by definition grain-based, but it can be made from a variety of grains.  So I would think if you have kind of grain allergy that either beer is not your drink, or maybe if you call manufacturers you might be able to find one that is safe. 
USA

Offline rebekahc

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2014, 04:55:20 PM »
I like cider way better than beer - it might be an option for you.
TX - USA
DS - peanut, tree nut, milk, eggs, corn, soy, several meds, many environmentals. Finally back on Xolair!
DD - mystery anaphylaxis, shellfish.
DH - banana/avocado, aspirin.  Asthma.
Me - peanut, tree nut, shellfish, banana/avocado/latex,  some meds.

Offline krasota

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2014, 09:37:06 AM »
Generally rice or sorghum malt.  Sometimes millet and other gluten-free options.

Thing is, there are a couple beers that claim to be de-glutened.  Omission and Estrella Damm's Daura are both made with barley malt.  There is some concern over this.  I avoid. Harvester Fresh IPA uses oat and other stuff.

I can drink Green's Dubbel Dark Ale--it's close to what I liked pre-GF.  Almost dark enough.  For cooking, I just buy Trader Joe's NGB or whatever it's called.  And I buy cider for drinking.  Or wine.

I'd like to try Sprecher's Shakparo.

http://www.bonappetit.com/drinks/beer/article/10-gluten-free-beers-that-actually-taste-good
--
DS (04/07) eggs (baked okay now!)
DD (03/12) eggs (small dose baked), stevia
DH histamine intolerance
Me?  Some days it seems like everything.

Offline krasota

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2014, 09:37:31 AM »
--hit quote instead of edit.
--
DS (04/07) eggs (baked okay now!)
DD (03/12) eggs (small dose baked), stevia
DH histamine intolerance
Me?  Some days it seems like everything.

twinturbo

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2014, 02:10:01 PM »
Thing is, there are a couple beers that claim to be de-glutened.  Omission and Estrella Damm's Daura are both made with barley malt.

Those might actually work for OP. No barley listed so maybe not avoiding.

Offline cammiec

• Oklahoma Rain Photography
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2014, 02:03:08 PM »
Thanks everyone!

I actually used to really like Woodchuck cider, and its label says gluten free.  I've just been hesitant to try it without any other ingredient listings.
wheat, buckwheat, rye, oats, flax, plum, kiwi, watermelon, honeydew melon, squash, garlic, pinenuts, pistachio
And now severely lactose intolerant

twinturbo

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2014, 02:24:16 PM »
Wait, is it gluten you're avoiding as an intolerance or some of the grains produce IgE-mediated symptoms? For IgE-mediated it is not only the gluten proteins that are allergens, there are more proteins than gluten. See related threads on barley and many of the problems in calls to manufacturers members have had because barley is not covered under FALCPA and for a gluten free certification it merely needs to meet a PPM for gluten only, which also will not include any testing for the presence of oats.

Additionally, I see you do not have barley listed as an allergen. This does happen in IgE-mediated allergy. There were a couple of members who had to avoid barley but not wheat because they dis not have cross-reactivity. Buckwheat does not have gluten but barley does... where that leaves you I'm not sure because I have no idea what you're avoiding and why based on the list and requests you've made.

The largest single population that I know of with IgE-mediated allergy to buckwheat is Korean but that could be somewhat attributed to prevelance of buckwheat in native diet. Barley is very closely related to wheat and rye. Oats is further out botanically but still related. Buckwheat is related to rhubarb. It is often used in gluten free products as it does not contain gluten. It is also not required to be listed under FALCPA. Extra caution would be needed.

Not being allergic to barley would open up a lot but as it contains gluten it won't be labeled gluten free. So it sounds like you might have a silver lining there.

The other health related reason to tease out the conflation of IgE allergy to wheat, barley, rye (and oat where it presents) from Celiac is the two require different management and treatment from two different types of doctors. IgE reactions may be outgrown but Celiac will not.