imagelogin
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: I'm new here  (Read 2558 times)

Description:

Lana

I'm new here
« on: April 25, 2014, 11:01:35 PM »
Hello. Today my two year old daughter was diagnosed with tree nut allergies. She broke out in hives on Monday after possibly eating a nut from a trail mix. I didn't actually see her eat it, but when I noticed hives around her face and neck, I had my suspicions. Today, we went to see an allergist. He performed a skin test. It was awful; she cried hard for the entire 15 minutes. The pistachio spot was pretty inflamed. It looked like a nasty mosquito bite. The hazelnut spot was a tiny bit swollen also. Everything else was normal. It confused me because the trail miss didn't contain either of those nuts. My daughter had also eaten peanuts and almonds and countless bakery items in the past without a problem. The allergist didn't really take the time to explain much other than when I should give her Benadryl and when the Auvi-Q would be necessary. He just referred me to the internet. I'm glad that I found this board. I feel more informed already after reading just a few recent posts. There is an allergist that is well known in my area who I can probably see in the next 3 months. I'm debating about wether I should get a second opinion and/or some blood work for my daughter. I really don't want to put her through the skin test again in 3 months, but I also don't have much trust in the allergist I saw today.

Offline SilverLining

Re: I'm new here
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2014, 06:45:48 AM »
Hi, sorry you and your daughter had to go through this.

It is possible the mixed nuts were cross contaminated with residue of the nuts she's allergic to.

I don't recall the scratch test actually hurting.  But, at two, being forced to sit still that long can be enough to cause her to cry.  Maybe other parents here might have suggestions on how to make it less stressful for her.  My kids were older, so it was a lot easier to talk to them...until the wheals started to develop, then their own coping mechanisms kind of kicked it.

Offline PurpleCat

Re: I'm new here
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2014, 06:49:09 AM »
Hi!  and Welcome!  Your instincts are spot on!  It is worth finding an allergist the first of all has experience with children and food allergies and second of all, will give you the time of day to explain things.  It is a disservice to you to send you to the internet.

Having said that, you've found a great group of people here who unfortunately have a lot of experiences to share as both parents and patients.  Some of us have been chatting since our kids were young, and now those same kiddos are in High School or off to college!

It is possible your child is only allergic to drupes and not actual tree nuts or seeds.  And drupes are related to some pollen allergens such as birch.  So if your child has pollen allergies, she may be more sensitive at this time of the year to foods that have not bothered her before.  Or as we have experienced, my DD has added allergies over the years as her tree pollen allergy cup got too full and her body said NO MORE!

An easy to read explanation of what a nut and what a drupe are is here:  http://www.seriouseats.com/2010/04/what-are-the-differences-between-nuts-and-drupes.html

One of my favorite web pages for nuts is:    http://waynesword.palomar.edu/ecoph8.htm

But you really need to know specifically what your child is allergic to and only avoid foods she is allergic too.  And it sounds like it is possible the trail mix might not be the culprit. 

But do know, trail mix is notorious for cross contamination from other nuts and dried fruits that could potentially be in the manufacturing plant.  Nuts and seeds can be caught in equipment and get loose when another batch is mixed and packaged.

When children with food allergies are so young, they can not really tell you what they are feeling and you will be guessing to fill in the blanks.  Better to know for certain what allergens you are dealing with so you can make the best choices for your daughter.

It's a interesting road and you can navigate it.  Information and knowledge give you the upper hand.