Upcoming food challenges for my teenagers

Started by GingerPye, April 11, 2014, 10:02:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GingerPye

Hi all, I just want to share the discussion I had with our allergist yesterday about my two teens and their food allergies. 

She and I discussed the newer research indicating that false positives seem to be more prevalent than previously thought; that the higher SPT and RAST numbers don't necessarily mean we cannot do a food challenge.  Unfortunately, I don't understand the science behind it all, but I'm happy to report that our allergist has agreed, finally, to do more food challenges with my children. 

We're concentrating on DD this summer, because she's off to college in the fall.  Really, I should have pursued this before this year; we did do a pecan challenge last summer in a first attempt to find out false positives.  Better late than never.  DD has been a busy girl.  We have done food challenges when the kids were much younger, but hopefully things have changed.

DD's most recent SPT to egg is a 22 mm wheal.  Her RAST/IGE is 28/Class 4.
Milk numbers I don't have in front of me, but they are similar to egg.

We're starting with baked egg for DD this summer.  We also may try to squeeze a baked milk challenge in this summer as well.  After 6-12 months of eating a baked egg or baked milk item 3 times a week, we'll evaluate and then see about going on to an egg challenge and/or milk challenge.  After that, peanut may be an option, but that one is trickier.

For DS, we're doing more testing this summer.  He passed a baked milk challenge two years ago but has refused in the past to eat anything more with baked milk.  Now, he says he is ready to try it.  Six months of eating baked milk, and he'll be ready for a regular milk challenge.

Just so excited!!

editing to add class #
DD, 25 - MA/EA/PA/env./eczema/asthma
DS, 22 - MA/EA/PA/env.
DH - adult-onset asthma
me - env. allergies, exhaustion, & mental collapse ...

CMdeux

:crossed: here, too!!

It would be SO awesome to have a way to get a milk/egg threshold a bit higher with a college student.   :heart:
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

PurpleCat

Sounds like a great plan!  I hope for lots of passes!  Good luck!

booandbrimom

That's excellent, Ginger! I wish you guys the best of luck with it all!
What doesn't kill you makes you bitter.

Come commiserate with me: foodallergybitch.blogspot.com

GoingNuts

"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

Mfamom

When People Show You Who They Are, Believe Them.  The First Time.

Committee Member Hermes

joanna5

I will be watching and crossing my fingers for you!  It would be great to see successful challenges for your guys- and would give me a lot of hope!
David (10/04): Allergic to milk, eggs, peanuts, tree nuts, and mustard
Allison (9/06): NKA
Ryan (3/11): Allergic to milk and eggs

becca

dd with peanut, tree nut and raw egg allergy

twinturbo

Tagging on DS1's baked egg challenge and wishing us all good odds.

Macabre

Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

twinturbo

Talked to allergist yesterday. Looking at June. It will be great for DS1 to get back. However, I'm at a loss to make it safely with wheat based recipes given younger boy's history of ana. Also unknown how safe he'll be in an environment with egg. June gives me a month to figure out those logistics.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 365 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Please spell spammer backwards:
Spell the answer to 6 + 7 =:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview