imagelogin
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: fennel bulb  (Read 3000 times)

Description:

Offline becca

• Global Moderator
fennel bulb
« on: May 23, 2014, 08:58:36 AM »
I have never used it myself, but njoyed the flavor in a salad of some sort before.  Now I forget what it exactly was. 

I bought one today.  I figured if nothing else, it may work as an addition to my close slaw i will make sometime this weekend.  What else do you do with it?  Any good recipes or ideas?  I am thinking raw, but anything is fine. 
dd with peanut, tree nut and raw egg allergy

Offline hedgehog

Re: fennel bulb
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2014, 02:08:51 PM »
:heart: fennel!  I do all kinds of things with it.  I have used it in a slaw before.  I shave it on a mandolin to add to salads (particularly good with arugula and citrus ). I cut into wedges or smaller chunks, depending on desired cooking time, toss sigh olive oil salt and pepper and roast it.  I cut into wedges and coat with oo, s, & p and grill it.  I shave it and sauté. I have used as an aromatic in a variety of recipes (I don't eat onion, so sometimes I will sub fennel).  I have sliced it up to serve raw with other veggies and dip.  It is soooo yummy!
USA

Offline becca

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2014, 02:18:15 PM »
Thanks, hedgie! 

This looks good:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/melissa-darabian/fennel-and-cabbage-slaw-recipe.html

I also bought green and red cabbage, scallions and carrots.  Seems it is very versatile. 

Offline becca

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2014, 11:43:47 AM »
So, I used in my slaw, along with red and green cabbage, carrot and green onion, with an orange vinnegrette dressing.  The slaw is very good, nice with a non-mayo dressing for a change, but i am not tasting the fennel very much(I am sick too, so maybe not th ebest time to evaluate).  But it is good.  next time, i will do something with the fennel on its own, or where it is more the star of the dish. 

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2014, 12:43:49 PM »
We used fennel a lot--on it's own, in things and as a sub for raw celery, which DS is allergic to.

I love to slice it, squeeze line juice and our grated parm on it and roast it. I coat the baking sheet with a little olive oil. Hmm. I guess I cook one side first, turn over, THEN pout the line and parm on before rotating that side.
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts