pretty nasty eye/eyeball swelling

Started by eragon, May 29, 2014, 07:32:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

eragon

just that really.

daughter went on sleepover, and her cat allergy was kicking in big time. had to pick her up early and her whole eye really swollen. gave a load of antihistamine and its better now. But when I first saw her I nearly drove her straight to the hospital.

and now am wondering if I should have done? can you get permanent eye damage from a severe allergic reaction in your eye?

<have never liked cats and now REALLY aren't keen on them>
Its OK to have dreams:one day my kids will be legal adults & have the skills to pick up a bath towel.

Macabre

Idk, but I wash laundry twice if it has cat dander on it. Wipe down with a cleansing wipe everything that can't be washed. Including cell phone. Otherwise it can come back.
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Mookie86

ds' eyes swell like that every bad pollen year at least once.  Dr. said it's fine to do double dose of antihistamine for a few days.  Otherwise, a wet cloth across the eyes has provided a little relief from the uncomfortableness.

I'm sorry that happened! 

momma2boys

I've had that many times. Allergy eye drops help and so does a cold cloth or ice. I wouldn't think it would do any damage to the eye but I'm no expert.
peanut, treenut, sesame
Northeast, US

rebekahc

That happens to me from cats, too.  My eyes will swell almost shut and I will have fluid-filled "hives" on my sclera.  No permanent eye damage for me.  A shower and cold/wet compresses on the eyes help.
TX - USA
DS - peanut, tree nut, milk, eggs, corn, soy, several meds, many environmentals. Finally back on Xolair!
DD - mystery anaphylaxis, shellfish.
DH - banana/avocado, aspirin.  Asthma.
Me - peanut, tree nut, shellfish, banana/avocado/latex,  some meds.

Janelle205

I have pretty nasty allergy eye symptoms normally, but cats really send it into overdrive as well.  I have had both eyes completely swell shut from cat exposure before. 

For eye symptoms, I tend not to worry that much because luckily the symptoms are generally pretty reactive to treatment - benadryl, cold compresses, and antihistamine drops if I can pry them open.  If they stayed really swollen for a long time and didn't respond to meds I would get it checked out, but I have luckily not had that issue.

Macabre

Oh cats me, too. Yeah, that swollen, watery, bulgy sclera--all the time as a kid.
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 365 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Spell the answer to 6 + 7 =:
Three blonde, blue-eyed siblings are named Suzy, Jack and Bill.  What color hair does the sister have?:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview