login
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Ozzie's Good Eats -- restaurant  (Read 5294 times)

Description: Fairfax, Virginia

Offline ajasfolks2

• Global Moderator
  • Committee Member Firebird
Ozzie's Good Eats -- restaurant
« on: June 09, 2014, 01:59:20 PM »
Anyone have firsthand experience here?

Saw a post on Facebook that family with PA/TNA had good experience there . . . just wondering if others here might corroborate?

« Last Edit: June 09, 2014, 02:05:41 PM by ajasfolks2 »
Is this where I blame iPhone and cuss like an old fighter pilot's wife?

**(&%@@&%$^%$#^%$#$*&      LOL!!   

Offline ajasfolks2

• Global Moderator
Re: Ozzie's restaurant
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2014, 02:00:30 PM »
pdf menu -- I do see mention of pine nuts and pecans as ingredients so far (in salads) . . .
ETA -- also see hazelnut in a dessert.

https://www.greatamericanrestaurants.com/garcms/Content/Uploads/MenuPdf/Ozzie's_Dinner.pdf

Offline maeve

Re: Ozzie's Good Eats -- restaurant
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2014, 06:07:45 PM »
It's a Great American Restaurant? We've eaten at other restaurants in the chain, and they've been quite knowledgeable of food allergies. We've eaten at the Coastal Flats in Tysons several times and at the Sweetwater in Sterling (many years ago).

DH and I used to go to Carlyle often before DD was born.

I consider the chain on par with Clyde's when dealing with food allergies. The ozzie rolls are the bomb, BTW.
"Oh, I'm such an unholy mess of a girl."

USA-Virginia
DD allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, and egg; OAS to cantaloupe and cucumber

Offline ajasfolks2

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2014, 09:15:14 PM »
Yes, part of that chain!  Cool to know all that and thank you!

This will give us some special-occasion options and maybe something really nice for next year early and a family celebration.

Offline maeve

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2014, 11:00:56 AM »
Yes, part of that chain!  Cool to know all that and thank you!

This will give us some special-occasion options and maybe something really nice for next year early and a family celebration.

I'd also recommend Clyde's Willow Creek Farm and Reston locations as well. If you are not dealing with shellfish allergy Ford's Fish Shack in Ashburn has handled DD's allergies well (ask for the manager, Wayne, when you go in).

For a more fast casual place, we just ate at Zoe's Kitchen at One Loudoun. They do not use peanuts or nuts at all there. It's Mediterranean based cuisine so it would not be good for shellfish allergy. DD safely had a grilled chicken breast with roast veggies (carrots and broccoli) and hummus & pita as an appetizer. We then went to the Alamo to see a movie and DD safely has the popcorn and Sour Patch Kids (you comfort zone may not go for the SPK because they're not in the original package but rather come out in a Chinese food carton).

Avoid Bar Louie at One Loudoun. They did not seem allergy friendly and we walked out.  Also for really casual food, we like both the Windy City Red Hots (Chicago style hot dogs, Italian beef, and Italian sausage sandwiches) locations (sit down in Leesburg and food truck in Ashburn [off Rte. 7 in the Meadows Nursery parking lot]).

USA-Virginia

Offline bleh

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2014, 01:13:38 PM »
I'll be near Tysons Corner this weekend so I might have to check some of these places out. Has anyone been to Chantel's bakery in Sterling or gotten any candy from www.simplynutfree.com ? Apparently simplynutfree sells chocolates at a farmers markets in Leesburg / Brambleton on the weekends. I was tempted to drive 30 minutes to check them out.

Edit: Looks like the bakery is just allergen free for special orders as they have items with nuts. Might still have to check out the farmers market for chocolates.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2014, 03:23:44 PM by bleh »
DD: PA/TNA/EA (baked eggs are okay)

Offline maeve

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2014, 06:32:22 PM »
I would not order from Chantel's. A member of a local allergy support group ordered from there several years ago, and what they ordered ended up having the allergen in it. They make items with nuts, dairy, and egg. I just would not trust the risk of cross-contamination in such a bakery situation.

We routinely buy chocolate from Simply Nut Free. They are at our local farmer's market (Brambleton) most Sundays (until it gets too hot). She wasn't at Brambleton last week because it's gotten too hot. I know the owner. The chocolates are great. She also makes a yummy pretzel bark and soft caramels. It's definitely worth ordering online.

There's also a Clyde's in Tyson's. We have also eaten safely at BGR at Tyson's Corner Mall. DD just gets her burger without a bun if she gets a full-size burger. If she orders sliders, she gets the bun; it's a Martin's potato roll bun for the sliders.

If you're in Brambleton, the Blue Ridge Grill is good and has been fine for DD's allergies. The owners used to work in the Great American chain (as did the owners of Ford's Fish Shack).

BTW, Brambleton isn't 30 minutes from Tysons. As if you couldn't tell, I live in Brambleton. :)
« Last Edit: June 12, 2014, 06:39:33 PM by maeve »

USA-Virginia

Offline bleh

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2014, 10:34:42 AM »
Yeah, Chantel's doesn't look safe at all. I took them off my list once I was able to go to their website. Hopefully she will be at the farmer's market on Sunday. I will see if she posts anything on facebook. If not I'll just skip driving up there. Thanks for all the info!
DD: PA/TNA/EA (baked eggs are okay)

Offline maeve

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2014, 06:39:02 PM »
I messaged Simply Nut Free Chocolates today and here's the reply: "Yes, it will be the last market until September."  So, she will be at the Brambleton market on Sunday. I didn't ask about Leesburg. If you go to the Brambleton market, it's at the Brambleton Town Center in the parking lot adjacent to the Sport & Health. It's open until 1 pm but some vendors pack up a little early, so don't wait until the last minute.  Also, SNF can run out of items, so earlier is better.

USA-Virginia

Offline maeve

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2014, 02:42:46 PM »
I have been warned that Simply Nut Free is low on inventory after the Leesburg market, so plan on going to the Brambleton market early.

USA-Virginia