FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: visiting Hershey, PA  (Read 3678 times)

Description: are the tours safe?

Offline brownie

visiting Hershey, PA
« on: April 29, 2012, 06:25:45 PM »
We are going to be in Harrisburg for 1 day.  I need to keep the 9 and 7 year olds busy while the oldest and daddy do an activity for the day.  I am wondering if either the Hershey Trolley tour or the chocolate world tour are safe with peanut/treenut allergies.  I know the samples would be off limits.  Has anyone been there?  Or is it just safer to hit the zoo?  Brownie
2 ds's with PA, TNA and avoiding all seafood

Offline hedgehog

Re: visiting Hershey, PA
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2012, 05:26:19 AM »
WE went to Hershey, I think it was 2 years ago.  BUt all we did was the park (lots of good rides there).  We did not do the tour or trolley.
USA

Offline CookieMomster

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2012, 04:46:25 PM »
We've never done the trolley tour, but have visited chocolate world too many times to count.  The chocolate factory tour is a ride that travels through a simulated factory, showing how cocoa beans are harvested and how chocolate bars are made.  It's pretty campy, with signing anamatronic cows at the beginning of the ride.  They do hand out samples at the end of the ride... like a hersheys miniature or something like that.  My ds said, "No thank you, I'm allergic." and they handed him a twizzler instead.

The ride unloads into a gigantic gift shop area where you can buy Hersheypark merchandise and of course Hershey candy.  There is also a food court that sells pizza, sandwiches, milkshakes, bakery items. etc.

Aside from the small free (wrapped) samples they hand out at the end, the only real allergy risk I can see is the potential of cross-contamination from table surfaces in the food court, handrails, etc. 

The zoo is not very large, and you could probaby visit the chocolate factory, zoo and trolley tour all in one day.

Here's another idea of someplace in Harrisburg you could visit:  http://www.whitakercenter.org/harsco-science-center  This science center is pretty cool and has several levels of activites as well as an Imax theater.
DS (16) - NKA
DS (12) - milk, eggs, peanuts, tree nuts, sesame, cherries, and watermelon.  (Outgrew corn, wheat, soy, peas, and green beans.)
Environmental allergies to mold, trees and grasses. 
OAS to almost all fresh fruit and vegetables except citrus and grapes

Offline cindy2

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2012, 04:07:38 PM »
We have visited Hershey several times and always had a good experience.  Our last trip was 2 summers ago and we did do the trolley tour again.  The first time we did it I wasn't sure what to expect and DD was very young but, on this last trip I called before we went and also spoke to them when I purchased the tickets.  They hand out candy during stops on the tour and were planning to give our peanut butter cups.  I waited on line at the trolley stop early so that I could speak to the actors before our tour and ask to wipe down the seats.  They were more than cooperative and very happy to let me on to clean the seats!  They also refrained from handing out the peanut butter cups until the people were off of the trolley so DD never came near them.  They gave out other candies during the tour ( I think kisses and mini kit kats).  We had a good experience but I wouldn't go unless I got to speak to someone and get reassurance.
DD-peanut/tree nut, lentils & legumes

Offline ajasfolks2

• Global Moderator
  • Committee Member Firebird
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2014, 07:40:44 AM »
Wanting to bump up and ask for input from anyone who has been to Hershey Park recently.

Not planning to go as a family.

This is the place our middle school goes for 8th grade end-of-year field trip.  (UGH.)

Here is their current page for folks with allergies:

http://www.hersheypark.com/food/allergens.php

Is this where I blame iPhone and cuss like an old fighter pilot's wife?

**(&%@@&%$^%$#^%$#$*&      LOL!!   

Offline yelloww

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2014, 08:42:10 PM »
We've never been. Mac's ds went there with his class trip a few years ago.

Ds' sleepover camp goes there in the Saturday during the day with the kiddos who stay for two weeks. Ds is staying for 2 weeks this year, but we are picking him up on the Saturday to bring him to another event and then back to camp on Sunday morning.

Sorry I can't be of more help!

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2014, 01:27:53 AM »
Yeah, actually it was a band trip--there is a band festival there. I wasn't going to go but did because the teacher was nervous.

This was in 2011. Spring.

DS ate at the park. I don't remember what. I believe I detailed it in a thread at the previous site. By that point, Rita's had started to use peanuts, but the Rita's at Hershey Park had not. So my group of boys got Rita's. :)

We found divvies cookies and Caramel corn there.

DS went to the Hershey store and there is a lot of PB stuff there, but we found safe stuff where they also did bit have as much on stuff.

Since I went, I took DFS, who was living with a different family by that point. Instead of heading home T 10:00 pm with the band, we got a hotel there and drive to Philly the next day so DFS could see the Liberty Bell, Insependence Hall and Betsy Ross' house.

The director had been worried kids would eat their haul on the way home. But they left so late I don't know that it would have been problem. Still, I saw it as an opportunity to go to Philly.
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline Mookie86

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2014, 07:59:14 AM »
If they also go to Chocolate World, each person gets a sample at the end of the ride. If you tell the person your allergies, you will get something you can eat. I do not know if they know more than top 8 allergens, and obviously be familiar with the products to decide for yourself what is safe.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2014, 09:29:00 AM by Mookie86 »

Offline PurpleCat

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2014, 03:25:47 PM »
Wanting to bump up and ask for input from anyone who has been to Hershey Park recently.

Not planning to go as a family.

This is the place our middle school goes for 8th grade end-of-year field trip.  (UGH.)

Here is their current page for folks with allergies:

http://www.hersheypark.com/food/allergens.php

I have not been around much, this is one of the busiest summers yet.  If I'm not too late to chime in:  Two years ago we went to Hershey Park and had an awesome day in the park!  DD ate lunch at a burger joint (bunless burger, fries, lemonade) and pizza for dinner.  I don't remember the names of where we ate.  I called ahead.  The food service manager could not have been nicer.  We worked out the safest places for her to eat and at the pizza place they were prepared to make her a safe pizza upon our arrival.  DD has multiple food allergies including garlic.  There was a safe soft serve ice cream.  The staff knew we were coming, the food was good, DD had a blast and they made it very easy for me.  We went on the Chocolate Tour and avoided the samples as they were almond covered candies.