FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Discussion Boards > Adults with Food Allergies

How Should I Try New Foods???

(1/2) > >>

cammiec:
My allergies began becoming severe about a year ago, and I'm developing new allergies.  People keep suggesting I try eating Quinoa, which I have never had.  With the other foods I am allergic too (listed below) do you think I would be allergic to Quinoa?  How do you try out new foods?

rebekahc:
What has your doctor said about trying new foods?  Since (s)he's most familiar with your allergies and how they've been rapidly developing, it might be best to ask there.

For my family, when DS was little, we introduced new foods in the typical fashion.  However, we were extra careful with foods related to those he was allergic to.  You can research which foods are related to your allergens, too.

lakeswimr:
Have you had reactions to all the foods in your sig line?  What type of reaction? 

It is very unusual to develop a bunch of new food allergies. People can develop them at any age but the chance of an adult developing a lot of them is very, very low.  I would discuss this with your allergist.

cammiec:
Now that I understand, I know I have had allergies since I was a child.  I never had an anaphylactic reaction, however, until last year.  I have reacted to everything in that list, as well as had positive test results.  After my first set of testing, I also developed a new severe reaction to pistachios (which was later backed up by a new positive test.)  To me, and minor reaction involves burning lips and mouth, indigestion, and sometimes minor skin itching.  A major reaction (anaphylaxis) involves throat closing and a trip to the ER.

I guess I should ask my doctor how to try things.  Reading about quinoa, it doesn't seem like it is in family of any of my allergens.

Is there such a thing as a false positive with skin and/or blood testing?

rebekahc:
Yes, with both skin and blood testing the false positive rate is greater than 50%.  Recent data suggests it could be as high as 80-90%.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version