FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Discussion Boards > Adults with Food Allergies

How Should I Try New Foods???

<< < (2/2)

cammiec:
I'm sorry, I meant false negative.  Is a false negative possible?

I know false positives are possible, I reacted positively to the control in venom testing. Lol

rebekahc:
False negatives are rare.  I've heard 90% accuracy on negative results.

cammiec:
Then that means that I am continually developing new allergies =( Its been very scary.  Did not start happening until I quit taking an awful medication, always wondered if there was a relation.

Haven't had a chance to contact my doctor yet, but I decided to forgo the quinoa.  I read several different opinions of it, but one said not to try it if allergic to other grains.  So pooh =( Lol

CMdeux:
Well, quinoa is very definitely NOT a grain-- and it's not in the same family as grasses, which give rise to things like rice, wheat, etc.

It's actually a great choice (usually) for those with multiple food allergies because it is unrelated (and therefore not likely to be cross-reactive) with so many other seeds/grains.  The only thing in your list that even seems (to me) to be a possible concern is flax.  I do not know how closely related flax and quinoa are-- that would be one to check on.

If you're concerned about nutrition in light of your lengthy allergen list, it makes sense to have a protocol for trying new things, though--  definitely ask your doctor!

rewgs:

--- Quote from: cammiec on June 20, 2014, 01:32:45 PM ---Then that means that I am continually developing new allergies =( Its been very scary.  Did not start happening until I quit taking an awful medication, always wondered if there was a relation.

--- End quote ---

Sorry to bump such an old thread, but I'm doing some research and this is the first time I've come across someone with a situation similar to mine: food allergies appearing after ceasing a medication, and new allergies continuing to develop.

What was the medication you were taking?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version