imagelogin
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: How Should I Try New Foods???  (Read 5132 times)

Description:

Offline cammiec

• Oklahoma Rain Photography
How Should I Try New Foods???
« on: June 18, 2014, 11:32:59 AM »
My allergies began becoming severe about a year ago, and I'm developing new allergies.  People keep suggesting I try eating Quinoa, which I have never had.  With the other foods I am allergic too (listed below) do you think I would be allergic to Quinoa?  How do you try out new foods?
wheat, buckwheat, rye, oats, flax, plum, kiwi, watermelon, honeydew melon, squash, garlic, pinenuts, pistachio
And now severely lactose intolerant

Offline rebekahc

• Global Moderator
Re: How Should I Try New Foods???
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2014, 02:11:20 PM »
What has your doctor said about trying new foods?  Since (s)he's most familiar with your allergies and how they've been rapidly developing, it might be best to ask there.

For my family, when DS was little, we introduced new foods in the typical fashion.  However, we were extra careful with foods related to those he was allergic to.  You can research which foods are related to your allergens, too.
TX - USA
DS - peanut, tree nut, milk, eggs, corn, soy, several meds, many environmentals. Finally back on Xolair!
DD - mystery anaphylaxis, shellfish.
DH - banana/avocado, aspirin.  Asthma.
Me - peanut, tree nut, shellfish, banana/avocado/latex,  some meds.

Offline lakeswimr

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2014, 06:32:24 PM »
Have you had reactions to all the foods in your sig line?  What type of reaction? 

It is very unusual to develop a bunch of new food allergies. People can develop them at any age but the chance of an adult developing a lot of them is very, very low.  I would discuss this with your allergist.

Offline cammiec

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2014, 09:02:29 AM »
Now that I understand, I know I have had allergies since I was a child.  I never had an anaphylactic reaction, however, until last year.  I have reacted to everything in that list, as well as had positive test results.  After my first set of testing, I also developed a new severe reaction to pistachios (which was later backed up by a new positive test.)  To me, and minor reaction involves burning lips and mouth, indigestion, and sometimes minor skin itching.  A major reaction (anaphylaxis) involves throat closing and a trip to the ER.

I guess I should ask my doctor how to try things.  Reading about quinoa, it doesn't seem like it is in family of any of my allergens.

Is there such a thing as a false positive with skin and/or blood testing?
wheat, buckwheat, rye, oats, flax, plum, kiwi, watermelon, honeydew melon, squash, garlic, pinenuts, pistachio

Offline rebekahc

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2014, 10:39:06 AM »
Yes, with both skin and blood testing the false positive rate is greater than 50%.  Recent data suggests it could be as high as 80-90%.
TX - USA
DS - peanut, tree nut, milk, eggs, corn, soy, several meds, many environmentals. Finally back on Xolair!

Offline cammiec

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2014, 02:02:26 PM »
I'm sorry, I meant false negative.  Is a false negative possible?

I know false positives are possible, I reacted positively to the control in venom testing. Lol

Offline rebekahc

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2014, 03:03:17 PM »
False negatives are rare.  I've heard 90% accuracy on negative results.
TX - USA

Offline cammiec

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2014, 01:32:45 PM »
Then that means that I am continually developing new allergies =( Its been very scary.  Did not start happening until I quit taking an awful medication, always wondered if there was a relation.

Haven't had a chance to contact my doctor yet, but I decided to forgo the quinoa.  I read several different opinions of it, but one said not to try it if allergic to other grains.  So pooh =( Lol

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2014, 01:59:12 PM »
Well, quinoa is very definitely NOT a grain-- and it's not in the same family as grasses, which give rise to things like rice, wheat, etc.

It's actually a great choice (usually) for those with multiple food allergies because it is unrelated (and therefore not likely to be cross-reactive) with so many other seeds/grains.  The only thing in your list that even seems (to me) to be a possible concern is flax.  I do not know how closely related flax and quinoa are-- that would be one to check on.

If you're concerned about nutrition in light of your lengthy allergen list, it makes sense to have a protocol for trying new things, though--  definitely ask your doctor!
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Offline rewgs

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2021, 10:00:20 PM »
Then that means that I am continually developing new allergies =( Its been very scary.  Did not start happening until I quit taking an awful medication, always wondered if there was a relation.

Sorry to bump such an old thread, but I'm doing some research and this is the first time I've come across someone with a situation similar to mine: food allergies appearing after ceasing a medication, and new allergies continuing to develop.

What was the medication you were taking?