imagelogin
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: What Epipen looks like when it's gone bad  (Read 2737 times)

Description: With pictures

Offline SilverLining

What Epipen looks like when it's gone bad
« on: November 12, 2014, 09:58:59 PM »
With starlight's permission I copied this post from our old home.

we were speculating on what the "discoloration" would look like when the epi has gone bad. I found some epi's that had an expiration date of Dec. 07, so they were about 4 years old. They weren't discolored yet (so obviously, using the color to determine if an epi is still good is not recommended). I put one of the epi's on my north-facing windowsill (SCIENCE!!  ). I don't keep my A/C on when I'm at work. Two days later, I got discoloration - I'm assuming it happened this quickly because they were so old and it's hotter than hades here. The old and the new epi looked pretty close in color, I could not tell the difference between the two colors unless I held it up to the sunlight. I repeat, I could not tell the difference between the two colors unless I held it up to the sunlight.

I took off the labels so there wasn't any uncertainty, the old epi's have a yellow sticker behind the window so it was hard to tell if it was really discolored or just the sticker reflecting.

Exposed to heat and sun on the right (the one on the left is from the same pack, unexposed to heat/sun):

Exposed to heat and sun on the left, next to new epi:

« Last Edit: November 12, 2014, 10:10:02 PM by SilverLining »