What age to self carry?

Started by Kelley2522, June 22, 2014, 08:49:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Macabre

We never sought "permission" from a doctor. DS self-carried in fourth grade. He should have done it sooner. He list the Epi bag that he carried from class to class a few times. Given his personality, we should have strapped it to him in first grade.

When I gave myself an Epi when he was in second grade, I wanted him there to watch (and I had him doubt for me).

I probably expected him to self administer sometime in Middle School.
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

LinksEtc

Quote from: Macabre on September 02, 2014, 07:23:59 AM
We never sought "permission" from a doctor. DS self-carried in fourth grade. He should have done it sooner. He list the Epi bag that he carried from class to class a few times. Given his personality, we should have strapped it to him in first grade.

When I gave myself an Epi when he was in second grade, I wanted him there to watch (and I had him doubt for me).

I probably expected him to self administer sometime in Middle School.

I'm sure our school would want the written doc's ok on the forms ... without that, kids/parents at our school could get in big trouble for self-carry/self-admin.

Also, I forget who, but the child of an FASer self-admin epi outside school environment & medical professionals were giving the mom a hard time about the importance of keeping meds out of the reach of children.  The mom had been given the ok by the allergist and could fall back on that medical opinion.

Frankly, I think my FA dd is ready to start the shift ... she is extremely responsible, allergy educated, & non-needle afraid for her age ... I am not just saying that because she is my dd.  My other dd is completely different and if she had been the FA one, there is no way she would have been ready until much older.

My opinion is that it is generally best for families to work with their allergist regarding this issue.  Anyway, for this year, dd won't self-carry/self-admin.  There have been times that I have disagreed with an allergist's suggested plan ... and the thing with me is that I will tell them openly that I disagree if I have a problem with something  :hiding: ... but once I agree to a plan with a doc, I stick to it until we decide to change it together.

Macabre

Well, self carry was written into ds' 504 in fifth grade, but he carried in 4th. Our doctor wasn't really notified. I'm not sure why a doctor would play a role in self-carry. Like a doctor doesn't play a role in most of our day-to-day management outside of our plan, yk?

I may have mentioned it to him as a matter of fact thing at a visit. Maybe. 

But I know from an earlier age DS's doc (different one than in 4th grade), would have wanted DS to self administer if he were having anaphylaxis and no one else was able to administer. We certainly would have and told him to.  If a trained adult he is with freaks out and can't do it and he is experiencing signs of anaphylaxis, do it. It won't hurt to have it.

The first time he had to have a form filled out for self carry at school was in Minnesota. And the school has that form for everyone. It requires his doctor's sig. But it's also in his 594, so the form is not really necessary.

But again, there's a big difference between self carry and self administer
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

maeve

Quote from: CMdeux on September 01, 2014, 10:51:05 AM
I think that the problem here, is that there is a fundamental confusion regarding permission to self-administer, and the expectation of sole responsibility for doing so.

The latter may NEVER be an entirely realistic scenario for some individuals, quite frankly, and there is definitely no bright line which smoothly demarcates the transition between no expectation of self-administration, and expectation of sole responsibility.  I'd consider this one of the most difficult things to explain to others, in fact-- that a ten year old may well know HOW to self-administer, but probably cannot be relied upon to do so under the conditions that anaphylaxis presents.  Maybe so, and maybe not.  KWIM?  For individual children, this state of affairs may be a transition that lasts a decade or more.

Honestly, I don't think even adults should be expected to self-administer.  That's like asking a person in cardiac arrest to perform chest compressions on themselves.

DD got permission to self-carry in fifth grade.
"Oh, I'm such an unholy mess of a girl."

USA-Virginia
DD allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, and egg; OAS to cantaloupe and cucumber

CMdeux

Right-- and I do think that reaction history has some significance in terms of just HOW crucial it is for:

a) a child to have the epinephrine ON his/her person continuously-- not "a minute or two away", and

b) to have a trained adult nearby at ALL (no really-- ALL) times.

DD's reaction history is such that I'd worry substantially about her living by herself, quite frankly-- she really NEEDS to have another person around much of the time, just in case.  She can become incapacitated really rapidly, because we've seen that this is fairly typical for her in anaphylactic reactions-- that is, her judgment and awareness are often the FIRST things to go, and when it goes, it goes QUICK.

Our allergist was the one who exhorted us to strap them onto our then-toddler.  He put the fear of God into us over it, in fact-- stating rather baldly that given how fast she anaphylaxes, we needed to basically ask ourselves just how long we were comfortable with her being in cardiac arrest or completely anoxic-- seconds?  Or minutes?  No brainer at that point, KWIM?  The thing is-- if you see a child in distress, you don't "grab the medicine bag from the hook, and go to check on the child."  That's not the way that process is going to work-- instinctively-- in a caring adult.   EVERY adult that I've ever talked to about this agrees-- 1.  child is in distress, 2.  quickly GO TO THE CHILD to investigate and offer assistance.  Best to make that the right procedure in the event of anaphylaxis. 

So she's been wearing them since she was two-ish, and full-time since about age 4.  I don't think that she's forgotten them in years, and honestly?  She's a fairly absent-minded kid.  It's all those years of reminders and the sheer consistence of things that has done it.  She feels odd/naked without them.

She knew how to self-administer (theoretically) since she was three.  It's only in the last two years that I have any hope that she might actually do so, however-- but she is capable at training others, and has great awareness of the need to do so.  She is also suprisingly wise about who she trains-- she doesn't train ALL of her friends, only those that she has a sixth sense about "getting" it.
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 365 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Spell the answer to 6 + 7 =:
Three blonde, blue-eyed siblings are named Suzy, Jack and Bill.  What color hair does the sister have?:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview