FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: IS THERE A STANDARD ICON FOR FAMILIARITY FOR ALLERGY AWARENESS?  (Read 2094 times)

Description:

Offline Theme Park Food Operator

I AM PUTTING UP ALLERGY AWARENESS SIGNS ON THE FRONT DOORS OF OUR RESTAURANT THAT INDICATE THAT WE HAVE CONDENSED MENUS AVAILABLE FOR PEOPLE WITH SPECIAL DIETARY NEEDS, EACH BEING SPECIFIC FOR DIFFERENT TYPES OF ALLERGIES.  IS THERE AN ICON OR SYMBOL THAT WOULD HELP PEOPLE IDENTIFY THIS SIGN?  I.E. GLUTEN-FREE.  IT SEEMS THAT MANY TIMES WE PUT UP SIGNS, PEOPLE DON'T SEEM TO READ THEM UNLESS THERE IS SOMETHING THAT GRABS THEIR ATTENTION. 

Special Dietary Needs?
We’ve got you covered. Please
notify a manager or supervisor and
we will be happy to assist.
Restaurant Dietary Guide Menus
available upon request.

Any and all feedback welcome.
Thank You. 

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
Re: IS THERE A STANDARD ICON FOR FAMILIARITY FOR ALLERGY AWARENESS?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2016, 03:36:12 PM »
There probably isn't anything like what you're seeking-- the problem is that these are very different conditions/requirements:

a) special diet out of preference/philosophy/belief-- Kosher, vegan, etc.

b) special diet required by intolerance (celiac, lactose intolerance, etc.)

c) food allergies

So that is three different populations.    This forum/community is primarily a resource for the last of these, and for our community, the color TEAL and  teal awareness ribbon are common, though far from widely recognized, symbols such as you seek. 

I'd think that anyone IN one of those groups, however, should be expected to read the fine print-- in terms of signage and menu notes. 

It is really great that you are making such an effort to make sure that your note doesn't go unnoticed.  :)
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Offline rebekahc

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2016, 03:40:37 PM »
I agree with what CM posted above, but wanted to add this link for you in case any of their resources or posters could be of benefit to you.

http://www.foodallergy.org/resources/restaurants
TX - USA
DS - peanut, tree nut, milk, eggs, corn, soy, several meds, many environmentals. Finally back on Xolair!
DD - mystery anaphylaxis, shellfish.
DH - banana/avocado, aspirin.  Asthma.
Me - peanut, tree nut, shellfish, banana/avocado/latex,  some meds.

Offline spacecanada

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2016, 03:54:35 PM »
Hurray for more awareness!  Great question.  Unfortunately, there isn't yet a standard symbols to represent all special dietary needs.  (The teal ribbon is gaining popularity, particularly with the rise of the teal pumpkin project.)

I'm not sure I have much to add, other than to echo what has already been said by CM. 

If I were a guest at your restaurant, however, I would want to see this notice on your website, main door, and within the regular menus, along with how you manage to prevent cross contact with allergens in the preparation of such meals.  I would recommend this additional detail be on your website and on the allergy-friendly menus themselves.
ANA peanuts, tree nuts, wheat, potato, sorghum

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2016, 04:53:19 PM »
Nothing to add wrt advice - all of the above are great answers.  Just wanted to say thank you for caring for our community!  We are a loyal bunch.  ;D
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

Offline PurpleCat

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2016, 09:43:39 AM »
I also don't have any suggestions for an eye catching symbol, but I do appreciate your efforts.  More than you can imagine.  I echo the request to include the information on your website.

I can tell you it is a lot of work to find out food information in advance.  I always start with the website before our trip.  If I can't find the information there, I will call and ask to speak directly with the food service manager.  It can take days to speak directly to someone.

I won't go to a park without knowing some food will be safe or that we can bring our own food in because none of it is safe.

I am a planner.  We don't wing excursions.  But there are other families that are comfortable just showing up expecting to find something safe.

Thank you for asking!  And thank you for caring!

Offline SilverLining

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2016, 10:04:23 AM »
What about a sign with the standard  :nocupcakes: ? Maybe a peanut, wheat, fish, each in a red circle with a line through it, and the sign saying if you need a special diet please speak to a manager.