Pls help; How would you say it?

Started by Annasttasiaaa, July 13, 2014, 03:21:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Annasttasiaaa

I am the mother to a 3 year old boy who is starting pre-k for the first time.  I met with the school director and teacher to discuss his action plan and provide them with his medication kits.  According to their parent's handbook, they are peanut/nut free school .  However, as we were discussing the things, the director pointed out that few kids in my son's classroom bring Nuttella sandwiches :misspeak:  She added that she would send the parents en email right away to notify them that Nuttela is not  accepted in the classroom anymore.  I am kinda pissed off but so far this has been the only school in our town that at least seems accommodating. We start off with 3 days a week and 3 hours each while I will be hanging around ~)

I'd like to write the director and the teacher a thank you letter/email only to touch base on what we discussed in our meeting to have it all documented.  I don't want to sound harsh or pushy but just like a sweet reminder note for all of us.  Since English is not my first language would you please kindly help me with a short introduction sentence as to how to bring it up after I thank them in my email...

Thank you millions!

CMdeux

I would write the letter the way that you ordinarily would-- that is, thank them for being so lovely and nurturing, blah-blah-blah, looking forward to being there... excited to start... make new friends.... supportive environment...

you know, all the stuff that you would say anyway.

THEN-- at the last bit, add a sentence:

We are so appreciative of your willingness to inform other parents about the need to keep not only peanuts-- but also other nut-containing foods-- out of {childname}'s classroom!  Thank you for recognizing his need for a safe learning environment-- it means so much to us.

I'd END with it, in other words, not LEAD with it.  Mention that staffer by name, even-- that makes it more of a letter of personal thanks for a very tangible action/statement, but it will also serve your purpose of enforcing what you were promised, or at least reminding them that they DID promise it.

Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Annasttasiaaa

that sounds very smart and appropriate! Thank you SO much!

SilverLining

Now that you have an answer, I just wanted to say, good luck with your son heading to pre-k.  I hope he has a good time, and that it is reaction free for him and stress free for you.

And isn't Nutella, nuts and chocolate?  Allergies aside, they shouldn't be allowing candy sandwiches in class.   :insane:

Mookie86

Starting preschool is a big milestone!  Congrats!!!!

In addition to saying that you appreciate their willingness to inform parents before school starts about the life-saving importance of keeping peanuts and other nuts out of the classroom, you could add that you'd be happy to help them draft something in order to make things easier for them.  Of course, only say it if it's something you want to do!  I did this when my child started preschool, and they took me up on drafting it.  I liked getting to say exactly what I wanted.  They did final edits, but they changed only one small thing.  I detailed checking ingredients and for "may contains" or "made on shared equipment" statements.  I also listed the various tree nuts because a lot of people don't know what's considered a tree nut (my child wasn't tree nut allergic, but others were and the school was peanut/tree nut free).  I also mentioned the importance of checking ingredients every time because products can change, and I ended with thanking them for taking the extra minute or two to check a label because it could be the difference in avoiding someone having a life-threatening reaction.  I'd also include in there that touching something where traces were left behind can lead to a reaction, and that's why it's so important that no nut products be brought into the school.  I think that was in my first paragraph.

If you end up writing something, FAS members would be happy to help you draft it.  That's why we're here.  :) Let us know if you offer to do so and the school wants you to do it, and if you want any feedback.

Annasttasiaaa

Mookie86, thank you for your great suggestion.!  I will definitely bring this up when I see the teacher tomorrow.  My little boy is so excited to go to school.   He played with his lunch box all day. It brought tear to my eyes to watch his excitement knowing that we are going to be facing lots of challenges and dangers for many years to come.   I am so worried...cant even sleep....but it is finally our time to go for it... Thank you for your help & support!

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 365 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Spell the answer to 6 + 7 =:
Three blonde, blue-eyed siblings are named Suzy, Jack and Bill.  What color hair does the sister have?:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview