login
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Beware of store brand alphabet cookies.  (Read 2652 times)

Description:

Offline daisy madness

Beware of store brand alphabet cookies.
« on: July 14, 2014, 10:33:20 AM »
I used to regularly purchase Weis Alphabet Cookies which were egg, dairy and nut free.  The label now has egg listed as an ingredient.  It is listed as the final ingredient rather than as a "May contain" or "made in a facility with."  I emailed Weis to inquire as it seems strange for egg to be present as the last ingredient, meaning the smallest quantity ingredient in the product.  More salt than egg??

The response is

I received your question about the Weis Alphabet Cookies and reached out to the manufacturer to find an answer for you.  They stated “They are powdered eggs.  Due to our new clean out procedures, egg had become a common allergen in all of our products.  It is added as the smallest ingredient in all formulas that previously did not contain eggs, as just putting it on the label as a potential allergen is not allowed by the FDA (Food and Drug Administration).

I'm sure that many stores other than Weis carry these cookies under their own label.  It might be a good option for those doing baked egg.  It's still milk and nut free.  It sounds to me like it is more of a "May contain" rather than an actual ingredient.

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
Re: Beware of store brand alphabet cookies.
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2014, 11:53:03 AM »
Yes-- that's exactly my interpretation-- but it's probably not something to just try without an allergist's input.  Yes, for those who tolerate shared lines and certainly for anyone who tolerates baked egg...  should be good, though! 

Thanks for posting what you found out!!  :)
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.