Restaurant Suggestions - Salisbury & Ocean City Maryland

Started by PurpleCat, July 15, 2014, 03:32:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PurpleCat

We are going for a week of Softball World Series and fun.  DD has a long list of allergies.

I know there is a Giant Supermarket in Salisbury so I can get Boars Head Deli and safe bread for lunches to pack for the softball field. 

Breakfast will be at the hotel, most likely fruit and cereal in our room. 

Need Dinner places.  So far I have found that there is a Bob Evan's (never eaten at one) next to our hotel in Salisbury and their website has allergen menu info.  There is a Longhorn Steak House (never eaten at one) that had the same info on their website.  Can't find any Red Robin's which were fantastic for us the last time we hit the other side of Maryland.  Seems to be lots of smaller eating establishments, less chains.  Olive Garden is out.  We can't eat at those here at home due to garlic in everything.   And with a shellfish allergy included....all those cute looking crab places are most likely not safe.

Any suggestions?

Macabre

If peanut is in the list, do NOT go to any place that has a Texas/Lone Star/Lone Star/Lomg Horn + steak/road + house in the name. They typically have shelled peanuts in the floor. At least call them before going.

We do well with Chipotle, Qdoba, Moe's.

Maggiano's is amazing about FAs.

For an alternative to bread, you can maKe tortilla roll ups. We do fine with Cruz, Mission, and a few other brands. You can use Laughing Cow cream cheese or Swiss cheese, spinach, shredded carrots.  Also a can of refried beans works well with a wrap and shredded cheese.
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Macabre

YouKnowWho

Our Longhorns doesn't do peanuts on the floor - have not been to one that does (there are several other steak houses that do - Logan's, Texas Roadhouse).  I find them to be great menu wise with cross contamination risks and emailing them to get back to you (ie, if you have a chance to ask now about sesame prior to visiting that would be best).

In regards to Bob Evan's - I have never gotten the warmy fuzzy feeling as to what is on the allergy menu is translated to the restaurant.  My inner Spidey senses tingle and I have refused to eat there.  I prefer Denny's personally.  But again, this may have more to do with the allergy set we are dealing with rather than a global safety issue.

DS1 - Wheat, rye, barley and egg
DS2 - peanuts
DD -  tree nuts, soy and sunflower
Me - bananas, eggplant, many drugs
Southeast USA

PurpleCat

Yes, sesame is class 6 for DD.

I did a search for those chains to see if they are in that part of Maryland.  Only Chipotle is. 

I'm sad Bob Evans may not be OK since that is right next door to where we are staying.  And yikes!!!!  Peanuts, airborne peanut dust, and shells...........................I did not think there were any restaurants left that would do that!

This area of Maryland could be quite a challenge.  We had such a great experience on the Western side of the state 2 years ago.

I'll have a 5 day cooler packed like a fridge for sandwich stuff, snacks, and drinks and can bring King's Hawaiian rolls, but really, this kiddo needs a good dinner after playing 3 games of softball a day.  We will be out all day and tired so I was hoping not to drive too far away for food at dinner.

Seems this area is off the beaten path for standard chain restaurants.  Any other suggestions?

Macabre

Wendy's. If they don't have the flatbread menu item (and to my knowledge they don't right now) I eat their hamburger, fries, garden salad, and baked potato. 

Taco Bell--I eat their burritos and hard tacos

KFC--they have a potato bowl that has corn and chicken in it. I've also just eaten the potatoes there (without gravy).

PurpleCat

Chipolte is out.  Just looked through the menu.  Too much garlic.  Boo Hoo!

DD is all about potatoes!  She will like the potato suggestions and I just searched and those 3 fast food places are in Salisbury.  Now to dig into the menus.

Macabre

When Wendy's has flatbread (twice in the last two years), I do fine with the potato and salad. I avoid sandwiches there when they have flatbread because of sesame.

I've not eaten or called about the pretzel bun yet at Wendy's.  I just get the regular one.

YouKnowWho

So is Long Horn's out because of the garlic?  Just wondering if she could get a plain steak or burger and a baked potato.
DS1 - Wheat, rye, barley and egg
DS2 - peanuts
DD -  tree nuts, soy and sunflower
Me - bananas, eggplant, many drugs
Southeast USA

PurpleCat

Quote from: YouKnowWho on July 16, 2014, 10:10:08 PM
So is Long Horn's out because of the garlic?  Just wondering if she could get a plain steak or burger and a baked potato.

I hope not.   I am hopeful she can get a steak there.  It depends on their grill and if they have peanuts on the floor.  When we were just out of state, we went to a family style steak house and she was able to get her steak cooked on a grill pan in a conveyor oven.  She loved it!  Said it was one of the best cooked steaks.  The manager was worried about the grill being contaminated by their different steak sauces so he suggested this cooking method.

We are there for a full week so I am hoping to find a few options for her.

yelloww

Lone star is different from longhorn. Lone star does peanuts in bins, longhorn doesn't. We've been to a number of longhorns and they didn't have peanuts. Just don't go to lone star. Call the longhorn first, but it should be ok for NOT having shelled peanuts in there.

Can she eat shellfish? There's bound to be plenty of blue crab mom and pop places down there.

PurpleCat

She is allergic to shellfish.  I love crab!  Hoping to get some for me at some point.  I think if we can eat outside at a crab place, she'd be OK being there.

Macabre

I have to worry about steak being cooked on the same surface as shrimp. If your dd is that sensitive, ask if they have a separate grill for shellfish.

Oh wait--she's going to need hers done in a pan anyway, right?

PurpleCat

Places that worked for us:  One local pizza shop, Applebee's, Longhorn Steakhouse, and The Greene Turtle!

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 365 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Please spell spammer backwards:
Spell the answer to 6 + 7 =:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview