login
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Book for teens newly diagnosed?  (Read 5726 times)

Description:

Offline fuji

Book for teens newly diagnosed?
« on: July 23, 2014, 11:32:03 AM »
I'm looking for a book for my DD(13) who was recently diagnosed with PA. All I can seem to find is books for adults or little kids, these would not be suitable for a teenager. Just as the children's books explain food allergies, anaphylaxis and what to eat/not eat, I would like one that does the same thing only in a more mature (teen speak?) way. Does anyone know of such a book? PS I did see the teen website, I think it was from the UK? I showed her but she was not interested. I think too much searching, links and a busy page was a bit overwhelming for her. If I just had a book, she could browse through at her own pace. She is a very good reader and a bit mature for her age.
Me: Mild hayfever, asthma
DH: Mild hayfever
DS24: Grass allergy, very mild hayfever
DS16: Severe grass allergy, mild hayfever
DD14: Peanut allergy, very mild hayfever

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
Re: Book for teens newly diagnosed?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2014, 01:58:20 PM »
Sicherer and Wood I believe contributed to Foood Allergies for Dummies. They are gurus.
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline rebekahc

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2014, 02:36:54 PM »
That's the book I was going to suggest.  It's not teen specific, but I don't know of any that are.
TX - USA
DS - peanut, tree nut, milk, eggs, corn, soy, several meds, many environmentals. Finally back on Xolair!
DD - mystery anaphylaxis, shellfish.
DH - banana/avocado, aspirin.  Asthma.
Me - peanut, tree nut, shellfish, banana/avocado/latex,  some meds.

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2014, 06:55:22 PM »
Anaphylaxis Canada also has GREAT teen resources-- my DD really likes those, as they are truly aimed at teens and hit the mark rather well much of the time.

Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Offline sneaker

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2014, 11:17:03 AM »
I saw a book mentioned in Allergic Living magazine.  I don't think it would be necessarily for newly diagnosed but it is for teens.  It is My Year of Epic Rock.  It strikes me as very unique as that it has a 7 th  grade girl sitting at an allergy table and from her point of view and not a negative portrayal of allergic teens.  Seems sort of a fun type book as they make a rock band.

I did not read it yet, but hey, it still is so new to have a kid in a book at an allergy table and a good portrayal of the kid too. So many TV shows etc are always making fun of allergies.

« Last Edit: October 16, 2014, 01:50:01 PM by sneaker »