login
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: COFFEE- PN/TN safe - Store bought??  (Read 3136 times)

Description:

Offline nonuteen

COFFEE- PN/TN safe - Store bought??
« on: July 24, 2014, 09:24:25 AM »
DD would like some safe coffee options for college.  She is PN/TN/soy.   Looking into using a my Kcup with the Keurig and brewing her own store bought OR even Kcup pods.
Not sure how labeling would be on coffee especially with x-cont.
Anyone have any experience or safe options for store bought ground coffee or keurig cups??
Thanks!

Offline hedgehog

Re: COFFEE- PN/TN safe - Store bought??
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2014, 09:27:44 AM »
I have never called on it, it is not in k cups, and I know some here do not trust foreign brands.  But I do know that illy does not have flavored coffees.  It is also very good, but expensive.
USA

Offline SilverLining

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2014, 10:59:27 AM »
I found two threads about this, which I'll put links here for you.  But I also wanted to mention, you can buy a reusable pod and use your own jar of coffee.  Do not use fine grind, it makes a mess.  Use the coarse grind.

Re: Keurig machines

Re: Are there nut-safe keurig k-cups?

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2014, 11:09:33 AM »
My pa DS has had no trouble at Starbucks, Caribou, or Dunn Brothers (DB is a twin cities phenom and they so have PB in a jar onsite).
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2014, 11:20:54 AM »
There are also refillable k-cup baskets now.

We've thought about getting a Keurig now that we could do that-- the waste of the individual packaging was really bugging us otherwise (no judgment about those who are okay with it-- in part this is a frugality thing on our part, as well).

Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Offline nonuteen

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2014, 11:40:11 AM »
I use the refillable Kcup for myself  rather than buying the individual but am not sure what ground coffee is even safe for PA/TNA.  I use Caribou but have zero food allergies so not sure if it would be safe for PA/tna dd??

Offline SilverLining

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2014, 12:35:10 PM »
I've called about several kinds of k-cups and they all say the nut flavoured coffee uses Artifical flavours and are safe.  personally, I can't drink them anyway, just cannot drink something nut flavoured.

One of the links has a post about some k-cups having soy.

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2014, 02:09:52 PM »
I use the refillable Kcup for myself  rather than buying the individual but am not sure what ground coffee is even safe for PA/TNA.  I use Caribou but have zero food allergies so not sure if it would be safe for PA/tna dd??

WHOLE beans that don't come in fancy flavors should be safe (think Starbucks or something similar)-- then just add a coffee grinder, and use the excuse that you're a snob who likes only FRESH ground stuff.

DD likes Sumatra and Columbian coffee.  I personally LOVE Costa Rican or Javanese coffee, myself.  I do not like African coffees.

Western U.S.

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2014, 03:01:26 PM »
We buy Fair Exchange, Brotherhood Brew (roasted and sold by a nonprofit--young African American men in the Twin Cities who have gotten out of gangs so the work and the marketing--and the coffee is amazing AND anyone in the country can order it). We also have recently bought coffee at the St Paul Farmer's Market grown in Guatemala by the family of the person selling it. Wowza it's good.

PA DS drinks all of that. No problems. But he's not TNA.

Offline SilverLining

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2014, 06:14:37 AM »

WHOLE beans that don't come in fancy flavors should be safe (think Starbucks or something similar)-- then just add a coffee grinder, and use the excuse that you're a snob who likes only FRESH ground stuff.

DD likes Sumatra and Columbian coffee.  I personally LOVE Costa Rican or Javanese coffee, myself.  I do not like African coffees.

Bold added by me.

Are you suggesting our kids be taught to hide their food allergy?

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2014, 09:09:26 AM »
I don't think they have to mention FAs all the time. Many times at church (live every stinkin week) I turn down food. I don't always mention my FA. People think they can accommodate when they can't. And *I* don't always want to talk about it. Sometimes it's best for me or for conversation to say I'm not hungry or something else. I just don't want to get into it sometimes.

Neither does DS. It's easier not to get into the FA stuff sometimes.

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2014, 10:30:15 AM »
 :yes:  Exactly.  This is an easy one to retain control of, so there isn't a huge NEED to make it about FA's.

Western U.S.

Offline nonuteen

« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2014, 10:02:22 PM »
So having never called(since I haven't needed to), do coffee companies have to disclose the same information as food manufacturers?  If so, guess I will start calling tomorrow and see what they say:)  Thanks everyone