Off to College with Allergies and Asthma

Started by LinksEtc, August 06, 2014, 01:05:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yelloww

What if schools was renamed to "schools and secondary education" and we put college as a subforum in schools?

LinksEtc

I think that "college" and "teens" probably shouldn't be combined.

1. Not all teen issues are college related.  Many teens won't even go to college.

2. Not everybody interested in FA college info will be a teen.

I'm not crazy about putting it in "adults" either.  For a lot of college teens (or those starting to think about college), that just doesn't seem an intuitive place to look.

--------------------------------------------------

My opinion is to put a "college/higher ed" forum under schools or as a stand-alone forum.

In the "college" & "teens" forums, have a stickied thread explaining that related info (for many people) will be found in the other section.  This way people looking in "college" will know that they can find more helpful info in "teens" and vice versa.

There's overlap, but there are probably enough differences not to entirely merge.

Where people post will depend on their perspective ... I don't think we need to be overly rigid with the categories.  If they're in "teens" and the topic turns to college ... no big deal ... if there is some lesson or great point made about college, we can always reference that with a clearinghouse or index college thread.  I pull things together from different areas of FAS all the time.

--------------------------------------------------

Just my opinion - take it or leave it - I don't feel strongly about this issue & will be fine with whatever you decide.

ajasfolks2

Is this where I blame iPhone and cuss like an old fighter pilot's wife?

**(&%@@&%$^%$#^%$#$*&      LOL!!   

Macabre

I'm with you Links. I don't think folks would tend to look in Adults.

I think a subforum in schools (maybe renaming that forum to include college) is our best bet. We need a subforum because all the threads need to be in one place we already have quite a bit of duplication because people don't know there's already been a thread created.

And we might ought to break off this discussion into a separate thread, though I don't have time to do it this morning. If someone else gets to it before I do, go ahead.
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

nonuteen

When I wanted help with college here, I first thought to look in schools and then in teens before I did a search and then created a new thread (which I started in teens?).  I don't think people would think to look first in adults because often parents/kids start researching colleges at 16 and are still in teen/school mindset.  I think a sub forum in schools (or it's own category) would be nice as college can be so different than k-12 and there are also  many here that will probably be heading off to college soon.
Just my 2 cents...

CMdeux

Good insights, everyone.  Sounds like a subforum either in teen or in schools is the best bet, with a sticky clearinghouse/redirect in the other two (adult/teen/schools-- the two that the forum is NOT in, I mean).  If that all makes sense.

So which is preferable?

A.  rename "schools" to be "Schools-- Daycare through College?" 

B.  Rename "Teen" to be "Teen/College?"

I'm almost thinking that the latter could be better-- there is just SO much stuff that is different from daycare settings for toddlers, public or private elementary settings, versus a collegiate environment.  The law treats them radically differently.   I worry a bit that what schools often push into IHCP/504 plans in late elementary-- self-reliance, etc. as a way to absolve school staffers of duty-of-care-- is confusing there because that is actually appropriate for secondary students as they transition to college.  KWIM? 

It also seems (to me) as though this area-- educational settings in a general sense-- is one of the real specialties of the FAS community-- and there is a massive amount of information in that broadest category (option A).

Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 365 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Please spell spammer backwards:
Spell the answer to 6 + 7 =:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview