login
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Biscuits  (Read 4592 times)

Description:

Offline RudderBird

Biscuits
« on: August 15, 2014, 03:39:53 PM »
Hey all. The other day I made some biscuits using the Bob's Red Mill mix. I was not impressed! They were very dry and crumbly. Do you all have any other favorite biscuit mixes or recipes that are free of gluten-containing grains and buckwheat? I was really disappointed because Bob's always has good products. :( Thanks.

Offline YouKnowWho

Re: Biscuits
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2014, 02:17:04 PM »
I like Bob's All Purpose Baking Mix (not the biscuit variety), Pamela's Baking and Pancake Mix (contains almonds and milk, no buckwheat) and King Arthur's baking mix - all with good results. 

I just checked Pamela's and Bob's - no buckwheat.  MIL makes the best biscuits using Pamela's.  I have only ever successfully made biscuits by popping open a can and causing my own personal heart failure  :evil:  I do other baking with those brands though.

This is my personal recommendation (and I cannot remember if you have been longterm GF or if this is recent), the further down the list that brown/white rice is in the ingredient list, the more likely it will taste "gluteny" and less gritty.  I struggle as someone who eats gluten on a regular basis to stomach some of the experiments - these are much better options. 
DS1 - Wheat, rye, barley and egg
DS2 - peanuts
DD -  tree nuts, soy and sunflower
Me - bananas, eggplant, many drugs
Southeast USA

Offline krasota

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2014, 04:40:53 PM »
I make drop biscuits and cheese biscuits with the Pamela's.  The almond-based baking/pancake mix, not the all-purpose one.

For flaky biscuits, 1-2-3 GF has a good mix.
--
DS (04/07) eggs (baked okay now!)
DD (03/12) eggs (small dose baked), stevia
DH histamine intolerance
Me?  Some days it seems like everything.

Offline RudderBird

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2014, 10:16:24 PM »
Thank you for the reccomendations. :) I will try Pamela's!