Many kids with FA and/or asthma don't have school health plans

Started by LinksEtc, September 14, 2014, 12:44:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LinksEtc

Tweeted by @AllergieVoeding

"Too many kids with asthma, food allergies lack school emergency plans"
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/09/140908135427.htm?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+sciencedaily%2Fhealth_medicine%2Fallergy+%28Allergy+News+--+ScienceDaily%29

QuoteOnly one in four students with asthma and half of children with food allergies have emergency health management plans in school, leaving schools inadequately prepared to manage daily needs and handle medical emergencies related to often life-threatening medical conditions, reports a new study.

CMdeux

I can name (off of the top of my head) FOUR children who have paid for this gap in communication-- with their lives.

It's discouraging that so little has really changed in over a decade.  Nathan Walters should have served as the world's biggest wake-up call for schools.  He so very clearly did not.   :'(
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

LinksEtc

:'(

------------------------------------------------------

I know a way in which FARE could make a big dent in that #.

On the FARE FAAP/ECP, have a check box the allergist could check saying something like it's their opinion this child should be evaluated by the school for a 504 plan ... that the child has a major life activity that is affected ... that the CDC guidelines should be referred to ...

make the wording bold.   :evil:

The school wouldn't be able to claim ignorance & if they choose not to follow docs' orders/recommendations and something happened ... well, that just wouldn't be a good situation for the school.

See, I love forms ... there's so much potential for good.

ajasfolks2

Links, that is great suggestion . . .

but I've also dealt with docs (and I know some still are today) who either didn't get what a 504 was (not a surprise, they are docs not attys) or who actually didn't believe the child would qualify . . . thought an EAP was good enough.

*sigh*

Might be worth a try for FARE to do this . . . or parents could just add that little gem onto form & ask doc to initial/sign and date there too.

:evil:

Is this where I blame iPhone and cuss like an old fighter pilot's wife?

**(&%@@&%$^%$#^%$#$*&      LOL!!   

ajasfolks2

As to the numbers of students with no emergency plans, etc . . . how about this?

Atmosphere conducive to a fatality
Is this where I blame iPhone and cuss like an old fighter pilot's wife?

**(&%@@&%$^%$#^%$#$*&      LOL!!   

LinksEtc

Quote from: ajasfolks2 on September 15, 2014, 04:17:52 PM
Links, that is great suggestion . . .

but I've also dealt with docs (and I know some still are today) who either didn't get what a 504 was (not a surprise, they are docs not attys) or who actually didn't believe the child would qualify . . . thought an EAP was good enough.

*sigh*

Might be worth a try for FARE to do this . . . or parents could just add that little gem onto form & ask doc to initial/sign and date there too.

:evil:

Most docs respect FARE as the allergy org imo.  We parents don't always have that same credibility/respect  :P.   Now that FARE is on board with 504s, why not take this next step?  If it was on the plan, a lot of docs would get up to speed fast regarding the basics of 504s.  Maybe a lot fewer eligibility letters would have to be written.

While we're on this subject, AAFA/KFA could do something similar for asthma ...

and, when both FA & asthma, I still dream of coordinated allergy & asthma plans wrapped up in a 504.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 365 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Please spell spammer backwards:
Three blonde, blue-eyed siblings are named Suzy, Jack and Bill.  What color hair does the sister have?:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview