General Mills Acquires Annie's Homegrown

Started by maeve, September 09, 2014, 04:31:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

maeve

I'm curious what people think of this. There's a spirited discussion on the No Nuts Moms group on Facebook. Many are really upset because General Mills has opposed labeling for GMOs (and many there believe GMOs cause allergies).

Many on that thread assert that Annie's labels well, particularly for cross-contamination. I have not found that to be the case as I fed my daughter their microwave mac and cheese for years and the warning about cross contamination for egg appeared on their web site before it appeared on packages a couple of years later. One poster feels that General Mills labels poorly and that Kraft and Mondelez does a better job of labeling (which is the opposite of the experience of many posters here).
"Oh, I'm such an unholy mess of a girl."

USA-Virginia
DD allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, and egg; OAS to cantaloupe and cucumber

Macabre

We've been fine with Annie's and our allergens. Haven't really bought any Annie's things for a few years. We used to get bunny things. :)

I am happy with General Mills. If Annie's had to be bought out, I'm not unhappy with GM at all.
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

YouKnowWho

My bigger concern is actually for the GF Annie's items - they are a staple in my house (cannot go wrong with gf/ef/pf products).  I use the Bunnies for so much more than just snacks - they are the basis of my graham cracker crusts, they are the secret ingredient in my Saurbraten, I use them for cookies and cream ice cream, etc.

I am sick thinking about it and hope that they will continue to make safe GF affordable cookies. 
DS1 - Wheat, rye, barley and egg
DS2 - peanuts
DD -  tree nuts, soy and sunflower
Me - bananas, eggplant, many drugs
Southeast USA

Macabre

Macabre

YouKnowWho

Quote from: Macabre on September 10, 2014, 10:49:27 AM
Bunnies smushed by a rolling pin!

:o

Nope - my current rolling pin is contaminated and I have yet to replace (does that tell you how little baking I do from a complicated standpoint?)

Plastic baggie and metal mallet.  It's DS1's favorite job :)  He did it yesterday for the saurbraten.  And while he likes Enjoy Life ginger cookies, the Bunny Gingersnaps have a far superior flavor especially for crusts and the flavoring profile I need for Saurbraten.  Not to mention with our Amazon subscription, are priced just over the cost of a regular box of cookies which I love (I don't begrudge him cost because it is harder to find his treats but I do try to save where I can, kwim).
DS1 - Wheat, rye, barley and egg
DS2 - peanuts
DD -  tree nuts, soy and sunflower
Me - bananas, eggplant, many drugs
Southeast USA

Janelle205

Nothing like a conversation about which kitchen utensil is better for crushing bunnies.

I love this place.   :)

Also, to make this post slightly on topic, I love the strawberry Annie's Bunnies fruit snacks.  One of the only kinds of fruit snacks I can have.

maeve

I hope they continue the gluten free products as well. I know how hard it is to find items that work for your family YKW.

I am hoping the acquisition will be a good thing. I'm hoping General Mills' labeling methods will be used by Annie's and I hope GM adopts Annie's commitment to the gluten free community.

"Oh, I'm such an unholy mess of a girl."

USA-Virginia
DD allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, and egg; OAS to cantaloupe and cucumber

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 365 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Spell the answer to 6 + 7 =:
Please spell spammer backwards:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview