Newbie question? Can an allergic reaction cause a fever?

Started by fuji, September 08, 2014, 07:59:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fuji

My DD (PA) was sick last week, not sure if it was a flu, some other virus or an allergic reaction to something cross contaminated with peanuts. 
Monday - cheer practice, came home feeling fine but hungry. (She's been dealing with some low blood sugars lately.) I gave her the rest of my chicken (came from the neighborhood grocery store deli) I did ask what they fry in and was assured it was not peanut oil. She's eaten their chicken plenty of times before and after diagnoses. Then I made dinner - Brats (checked the label), Kraft Homestyle Mac and Cheese 4 cheese (checked the label) and Hot Dog Buns (made from scratch). Within about an hour she was puking, over and over until 4am! I kept asking her if she ate anything at cheer and she assured me she did not and her coach and team mates said there was no food at all. She went from 60mph to 0mph in about 2.5 seconds! It was so sudden, from feeling fine to throwing up! The only thing I can think of is that the chicken may have been cross contaminated. Doctor was thinking so too, either CC of peanuts or some sort of food poisoning until I told him that Tuesday night about 9pm she started running a fever. It was about 103, which is high for her, her normal is about 97.5. She slept all of Tuesday and most of Thursday and Friday. She was finally better by Friday night and has been fine since.
Can a reaction cause a fever like this or was this just a random virus? I'm new to this and am feeling very lost!
Good news, I found someone in this little community of 1200 that has a child with PA, and we are meeting Wednesday morning!
Me: Mild hayfever, asthma
DH: Mild hayfever
DS24: Grass allergy, very mild hayfever
DS16: Severe grass allergy, mild hayfever
DD14: Peanut allergy, very mild hayfever

rebekahc

My body reacts to trauma (giving birth, surgery, broken bone, allergic reaction) with a fever, but I've never gotten one that high from it. Usually the fever lasts 24 hours or less.

With a fever that high, I'd probably lean more toward a virus.  I always dread these times where you just don't know (and probably will never know for sure).  It's frustrating to not know whether you're avoiding something for no reason!
TX - USA
DS - peanut, tree nut, milk, eggs, corn, soy, several meds, many environmentals. Finally back on Xolair!
DD - mystery anaphylaxis, shellfish.
DH - banana/avocado, aspirin.  Asthma.
Me - peanut, tree nut, shellfish, banana/avocado/latex,  some meds.

momma2boys

peanut, treenut, sesame
Northeast, US

hedgehog

With 103 it sounds like a virus.  And on two occasions I can think of I have had a stomach virus start that quickly out of the blue.  No feeling yucky first, just straight to throwing up.
USA

Macabre

Although it's interesting that the fever started 24 hours-ish after the vomiting.

I would lean toward a virus for the fever. But I don't know about the vomiting.

It's great you found someone! That can really help. Or in some cases when they handle it very differently, not help (we've had it go both ways--sigh). I hope in your case it's a huge relief. :yes:
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

ajasfolks2

Could be virus or food poisoning . . . often the body vomits all it can out, then there is some diarrhea for whatever wasn't expelled originally . . . and then high fever for short time to burn off the rest in the body and nuke it.

Hand washing is so key -- before and after eating, immediately upon entering the house . . . and we have wipes in the car that we use when we get in car after an event or being in a store. 

For you, if cheer practice involves stunts and other physical contact, hand washing is SUPER important.

Is this where I blame iPhone and cuss like an old fighter pilot's wife?

**(&%@@&%$^%$#^%$#$*&      LOL!!   

fuji

Thank you for all your helpful replies! I was leaning towards virus also, due to the fever. I'm new at this, so I was just wondering. I was a maniac with the bleach all week and even part of this week! I wiped doorknobs, light switches, cabinet doors/handles, faucets, everything I could think of that she may have touched! So far, no one else in the family has become sick! (There are 4 of us and a house guest.)
Hopefully, the family that I'm meeting will have helpful hints, the child is much younger than my daughter so I'm not thinking of "play-dates" or anything like that. Since I'm rather new to this town, I mostly want to know about our community - EMS, School cafeteria, bars, etc. (We only have 1 restaurant, 1 diner(only open breakfast and lunch), 1 drive thru, 1 coffee shop, 1 sandwich shop and all the rest of the eating establishments are bars or the grocery store. (Kids are allowed in bars here, to eat of course!)
Thanks again!
Me: Mild hayfever, asthma
DH: Mild hayfever
DS24: Grass allergy, very mild hayfever
DS16: Severe grass allergy, mild hayfever
DD14: Peanut allergy, very mild hayfever

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 365 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Please spell spammer backwards:
Spell the answer to 6 + 7 =:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview