FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: beets  (Read 2341 times)

Description:

Offline becca

• Global Moderator
beets
« on: September 09, 2014, 08:58:44 AM »
I thought I had a topic on these.  I cannot find it. 

I for the first time, bought golden beets.  I roasted them last night and tossed them with a mild viniagrette with some white balsamic dressing, EVOO and a touch of dijon.  Little salt.  They are yummy and none of the mess of red beets, which I never cook myself, due to the mess. 

So, I have a lot of beets and only I eat them, lol.  Going to get some goat cheese and make them into a salad with some of that, and added some to my trila of a "massaged kale salad."  working the raw kale with some lemon or vinegar and oil for a bit with the hnads to soften and sweeten it, then adding whatever strikes your fancy.  So far, there is golden beets and a few dried cranberries in there.  I was going to put sunfower seeds, but I added a bit too much salt and my seeds are salted.  Maybe I can find some salt free seeds today.  Maybe chop an apple and add it in there for crunch. 

They are good with just the dressing too.  It sort of gave them a mild pickled flavor overnignt. 
dd with peanut, tree nut and raw egg allergy

Offline hedgehog

Re: beets
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2014, 10:22:11 AM »
Beets go with orange if you have one.  Just cut the sections out of the membrane and toss into your salad.
USA

Offline becca

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2014, 11:31:42 AM »
Funny, I salted the kale a bit too much, and was trying to sweeten it up and I instnctively added a bit of orange juice to the dressing.  It is good after sitting for a few hours.  Having the kale/beet salas with some goat cheese, dried cranberries and sunflower seeds on it. 

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2014, 11:50:53 AM »
Yea!  I'm glad you like golden beets!  We typically just roast the beets--red or golden--skin them and out a little butter on them (sometimes dress them). DH typically sautées the greens with a shallot and adds balsamic. So yummy.

Here's a recent post I made on beets.
This:

DH roasted them. Oh, he roasted without peeling, in foil for an hour. After that you just use the foil to help slip the skin off and it comes right off.

He made a sauce (but it wasn't visible as a sauce) of orange juice and butter, salt and pepper. He put those in a bowl and set the peeled, sliced beets in and it melted. 

And whenever the greens are happy looking, we eat them. Yesterday's looked amazing--and tasted amazing.

He sautéed a shallot and the chopped stems with butter, EVOO, salt and pepper. When they softened, shallots became translucent he added a tablespoon or so of balsamic and also maple syrup.  Then he tossed a small handful of dried cranberries and pecans. Then added chopped leaves. Covered it. We topped it with goat cheese.

I've seen lots of large yellow beets lately and have bought some. They are a little sweeter and don't make your pee pink. :)

Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2014, 11:56:33 AM »
For the first couple of years I saw/we bought yellow beets, they were smallish. As I alluded to above, I'm now seeing them much larger, which is great. I'm also seeing them for a longer period.

Offline becca

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2014, 12:20:01 PM »
These just looked so beautiful, I had to try them.  I still have the greens too.  I need to try cooking them.  I picked a bunch with really good looking greens. 

I have so much food here right now, that only I eat.  But trying to increase my veggie intake.  I have the kale an those beet greens, the beets, a head of cauliflower all cut up in the fridge, lol.  Cucumbers off of our own plants.  I cannot eat it all.  I thought eating well in front of children is supposed to make them want it?  LOL.  Not in my house.  Although, dd will munch on some kale chips.

Offline nameless

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2014, 05:50:44 PM »
40+ years dealing with:
Allergies: peanut, most treenuts, shrimp
New England

Offline buttons

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2014, 06:49:59 PM »
Haha, that's hilarious.  My DD recently sent me the put a bird on it clip - a commentary on my decorating.  ;D

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2014, 08:14:55 PM »
Oh that is brilliant. I remember the first time I had that conversation with DS. :)

Offline becca

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2014, 08:18:21 PM »
LOL.