eggplant

Started by becca, September 10, 2014, 11:07:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Macabre

I haven't made baba ghanoush recently. I should do that. Here is a link to some eggplant recipes. The croquettes look great.

Eggplant Recipes
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

becca

dd with peanut, tree nut and raw egg allergy

Macabre

That is really, really funny.

*No parakeets or seventh graders were harmed in the making if this blog post. Or my autocorrect.

PurpleCat

REALLY!!!!!!!!

Next time warn me to put my coffee down, I can no longer read my screen until I wash it!

Hysterical!

Macabre

PC I made your dish. We loved it! It  ended  up very stew-like. I used  a poblano instead of the Bell low-pepper and I forgot the lemon. But it was so good.

PurpleCat

It is very stew like.  Most likely because I toss the whole can of beans and chick peas instead of measuring plus the olives.  So nice to know you liked it!

I take that chili to picnics and parents can not believe their kids love it!  I've converted many non egg plant eaters with it too!  I always wonder what the lemon juice does as I toss it in.

Macabre

Oooh. Also forgot the olives. We are low on kalamatas, but I did intend to use what we have. I also changed up the spices a bit. I used  fresh  oregano, thyme and Foxpoint from Penzey's. A bit of nutmeg, too.

Janelle205

I have never had eggplant before, but some of these recipes look really good.  The camp cook made it a lot for vegetarians.  I bet that DSD would really like trying it though.

Macabre

I made an amazing Eggplant Parm Casserole the other night and have to share. Itbwas sooooo easy. DS and DH loved it. So did I!

Eggplant Parmesan Casserole  http://allrecipes.com/recipe/eggplant-parmesan-casserole/

My adaptations:
I had one eggplant (and I did have to look at the video to see how he cut it)
I didn't have ricotta but had cottage cheese
I didn't measure anything
I used an 8" or 9" square Pyrex dish

We'll definitely make this again!

nameless

Quote from: Macabre on June 27, 2015, 08:50:38 AM
I made an amazing Eggplant Parm Casserole the other night and have to share. Itbwas sooooo easy. DS and DH loved it. So did I!

Eggplant Parmesan Casserole  http://allrecipes.com/recipe/eggplant-parmesan-casserole/

My adaptations:
I had one eggplant (and I did have to look at the video to see how he cut it)
I didn't have ricotta but had cottage cheese
I didn't measure anything
I used an 8" or 9" square Pyrex dish

We'll definitely make this again!

I would totally make that, but baked eggplant brushed with olive oil and maybe use panko.
40+ years dealing with:
Allergies: peanut, most treenuts, shrimp
New England

Macabre

Well, you do use some light olive oil when you are making them tender in the pan. But it's very little. They need this step so they can be folded like a taco for the ricotta mixture. I'll say that 1% cottage cheese worked quite well for this. I'd have to compare it to ricotta for  calories and fat when making it in the future, but this week I went purely with what we had on hand. 

becca

That looks yummy!  Will have to try it.
dd with peanut, tree nut and raw egg allergy

krasota

Do you like sour /pickled/relish-type things?  I can dig up some Russian eggplant recipes. 
--
DS (04/07) eggs (baked okay now!)
DD (03/12) eggs (small dose baked), stevia
DH histamine intolerance
Me?  Some days it seems like everything.

krasota

Let's see if google books search results copy. 

Edited--didn't copy. 

So here's my old lj version: 

http://krasota.livejournal.com/110681.html

That may not work, but I'm on the ipad at the moment. 

I've made this with tomatillo, since I can no longer do tomatoes.  I rarely make it, though, due to the histamine load.   Sometimes make the mentioned baklazhannaya ikra, eggplant "caviar".
--
DS (04/07) eggs (baked okay now!)
DD (03/12) eggs (small dose baked), stevia
DH histamine intolerance
Me?  Some days it seems like everything.

Macabre

Oh wow. That sounds great!  I've got some tomatillos that need using.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 365 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Three blonde, blue-eyed siblings are named Suzy, Jack and Bill.  What color hair does the sister have?:
Spell the answer to 6 + 7 =:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview