login
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Broccoli  (Read 2877 times)

Description:

Offline becca

• Global Moderator
Broccoli
« on: September 17, 2014, 12:39:09 PM »
Broccoli salad for lunch today:

Yummy! 

So, I do not use recipes, exactly, so I will guesstimate:

About 6 or so cups of bite sized broccoli florets
2 very large, or 4 small green onions(lol, the ones I had were local and huge)
about a cup or so of sliced or halved grapes, or more to taste.

Dressing:

1/2 to 2/3 cup light mayo(or vegan version)
2T cider vinegar(adjust to a bit more if you use more mayo)
2 tsp sugar(I did not measure but added raw sugar to taste, the grapes add sweetness, too)
about 1/3 cup of crumbled bacon(I used packaged bacon crumbles, real ones)

Mix the dressing and let sit for a bit while you wash and do the veggies.  The bacon and sugar flavors will blend in better. 

Toss veggies with dressing and chill for 1-2 hours.  Adjust amounts of dressing/veggies to desired moistness.  I tend to like these sorts of things on the drier side.  Not sloppy wet.  It is like a slaw dressing, but with the broccoli and bacon, a nice twist!  Sweet and savory. 

I will say this made about 4 lunch sized servings, or 6-8 side servings. 
« Last Edit: September 17, 2014, 12:40:55 PM by becca »
dd with peanut, tree nut and raw egg allergy

Offline YouKnowWho

Re: Broccoli
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2014, 02:00:20 PM »
I will have to try your recipe Becca which is much healthier than mine.

This is the one I use but I sub Greek Yogurt for mayo.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/paula-deen/broccoli-salad-recipe.html

DS1 is okay with mine but in all honesty he prefers plain veggies.
DS1 - Wheat, rye, barley and egg
DS2 - peanuts
DD -  tree nuts, soy and sunflower
Me - bananas, eggplant, many drugs
Southeast USA

Offline ajasfolks2

• Global Moderator
  • Committee Member Firebird
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2014, 02:44:42 PM »
I like this version -- I'm going to try it soon.  (My version is raisins instead of grapes.)

I also love very thinly sliced red onion instead of the green, which is nice contrast against the sweet raisins / grapes, and the sugar in the dressing.

I've also subbed part low-fat sour cream for some of the mayo.
I like the even lower fat Greek yogurt sub idea too -- I've subbed low-fat sour cream for some of the mayo before.

This salad can be done with combo of 1/2 broccoli and 1/2 cauliflower too . . . or all cauliflower.  The white is pretty with red onion, raisins, and bacon bits.  (And if do all-cauliflower, the green onions are pretty too -- just depends what you want the salad to look like, if that matters.)

I'm wishing I'd never discovered the applewood smoked bacon bits.   :hiding:

« Last Edit: September 17, 2014, 02:47:25 PM by ajasfolks2 »
Is this where I blame iPhone and cuss like an old fighter pilot's wife?

**(&%@@&%$^%$#^%$#$*&      LOL!!   

Offline ajasfolks2

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2014, 02:48:31 PM »
For non-pork eaters, some fine-diced smoked turkey is great substitute too.

Offline becca

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2014, 02:52:01 PM »

I'm wishing I'd never discovered the applewood smoked bacon bits.   :hiding:

That is what I used!  I discovered them when I used them as a shortcut for the sandwiches I had to make for the teacher luncheon 2 weeks ago. 

I could do the yogurt to cut some calories up the pretein a tad, but dh is not a fan of plain or Greek style yogurt.  But that does appeal to me.  Also the cauli does too.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2014, 02:56:49 PM by becca »

Offline PurpleCat

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2014, 03:32:30 PM »
That looks so yummy!  I wish I had a magic sub for dairy and mayo.

Offline becca

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2014, 04:25:04 PM »
PC, for mayo can you use vegannaise or nayonnaise?  They are egg free subs for mayo.  But not lower calorie, I do not think, not sure about that.  They taste good in salads too.  I had a coworker years ago, who used to use them.  She was vegan and used to make this amazing beet/apple salad with it.  I cannot for the life of me find the recipe, and I no longer know her. 

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2014, 07:21:45 AM »
I've always wanted to make a vegetarian version of this for DS but am loathe to use raisins in the salad. Don't ask me why. I like raisins.

I make a chicken salad with grapes and pecans for our Easter picnic to spread on water crackers (everything else is vegetarian--we also make hummus). DS asked if I could make a vegetarian version. I think if the florets are small enough, this could work.

Also, this broccoli salad--or the one with raisins--shows up frequently at church potlucks with bacon. DS has always wanted to try it but obviously won't.  Becca your recipe looks like such a good option. I will make this without the bacon.

Thanks for posting!
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline ajasfolks2

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2014, 07:44:45 AM »
I am wondering about topping this salad with those French Fried onions -- especially if leaving out the bacon/ham.  This might give some salt and crunch that would sub for the loss of the bacon? 

Yes, I know those FF onions are not exactly a healthy sub (oh, the ingredient list is scary) . . . but once in awhile, or for special occasion might be good, if ok for specific allergies?

Trying to think of other smoky/salty/chewy/crunchy substitute.

Mac -- if you all can eat nuts, then I would think some of those smoked Blue Diamond almonds would be excellent in this salad -- chopped or whole.

Offline becca

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2014, 09:29:40 AM »
I do think there are vegan bacon bits type things. 

Also, there is a different broccoli salad with a sweet and sour dressing and crushed up ramen noodles.  Not light by any means, but a yummy treat.  I can post it.  I always lighten up the sugar in these.  If not for sesame allergy, the sweet and sour one could be done with a bottled light dressing as well. 

This is the basis for the one I have made, but I use way less dressing overall, and way less sugar.  You need to fiddle with it to your palate:  Obviously you can omit nuts, and I have subbed sunflower seeds.  very nice.  Really, any Asian flavored/style dressing works on this.  As a leftover, the noodles soften, and it is still good that way, just different.  I do not make this nowadays, but did love it. 

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Easy-Broccoli-Slaw-Salad/Detail.aspx?prop24=RD_RelatedRecipes

Offline becca

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2014, 09:30:58 AM »

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2014, 10:30:58 AM »
Oh that's right. Sometimes we keep that around.

Good idea about the smoked almonds.  I personally am not fond of them (I really don't like smoked things that taste like smoke flavor), but DH loves them.
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts