FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: DS has 5 new food allergies? Can this be true?  (Read 7481 times)

Description: NEED MORE HEADS ON THIS PLS

Offline lilpig99

DS has 5 new food allergies? Can this be true?
« on: September 22, 2014, 05:54:51 PM »
DS was IgE blood tested for his  very new EE/ED diagnosis. They tested 8 foods. His EE symptoms are vomiting and chest pain....and are a bit inconsistently occurring, yet with increasing frequency if that makes sense. Now EE is usually not always an IgE mediated issue, but for whatever reason,  the gastroenterologist started looking for IgE food allergies rather than beginning with IgG delayed skin patch testing (although he did mention doing that at some point):

Egg
Peanut
Walnut
Corn
Soy
Milk
Wheat
Tomato
Cod

Of those 8 foods tested, (we already knew he was allergic to egg, peanut and tree nut), all came back moderately high or high, except cod being negative. I don't have the actual numbers yet, but the nurse on the phone was completely shocked that so many were high positives.

I'm a little sick thinking about this. And I'm thinking that maybe these results just cannot be true? Aside from his egg and nut allergies, I don't see him having classic and CONSISTENT IgE allergic reactions to these 5 new foods.  DS DOES have behavioral issues for sure....and I am well aware that behavioral symptoms can most certainly be symptoms of food allergies....I guess I'm coming to grips with the fact that maybe behavior (lack of focus, attention, hyperactivity....adhd) may very well be what is actually the consistent symptom here.  :-/  ???

His total IgE is over 400 if that helps....

What on earth do I make of this? Maybe I'm in denial. What on earth am I going to feed this child? :-/

Gastro nurse says we need to consult and work together with our allergist. Naturally :-/

« Last Edit: September 22, 2014, 05:57:26 PM by lilpig99 »

Offline catelyn

• typing is not exercise
    • my diy blog
Re: DS has 5 new food allergies? Can this be true?
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2014, 06:42:41 PM »
I feel for you but I'm not any help.

Offline TabiCat

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2014, 07:47:55 PM »
Oh dear :heart: I don't know what to say is there any chance that these are false positives.
Ds - Peanut and Tree nut and a  host of enviro

Texas

Offline my3guys

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2014, 07:49:30 PM »
At one point one ds was allergic to milk eggs soy peanuts and tree nuts. We got used to it. Few questions pop into my mind though first.

Was he skin and blood tested? Do you think he's eaten these foods without a problem? I don't think behavioral issues with food would show up on ige testing?

Could vomiting and chest tightness be symptoms of ige reaction?

I occasionally get those symptoms when I'm constipated (sorry if tmi) tums relieves symptoms.

Since he tested ige positive are they planning any food challenges?

My friends son has ee and he does test positive to many foods...they eliminate then do endoscopes to rule foods in and out.

Kwfa.com may be great resource to check out right now.

Sorry I can imagine this feels very overwhelming right now. Best of luck sorting it out!

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2014, 08:11:26 PM »
I don't know a thing about this, just wanted to say  :console: and  :grouphug:.
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

Offline lilpig99

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2014, 08:50:16 PM »
Only blood tested so far.

He used to be allergic to soy, dairy, and wheat as a little guy. He eats them now because he "outgrew". The chest pain and vomiting had gotten more frequent in the past 6mo. I guess that could be IgE. Some vomiting occurred within 10min of ingestion. But other times no vomiting. ??! But vomiting and chest pain ARE def a symptom of EE...and yes he was scoped and biopsied...so we KNOW he has it and therefore we know there is another food culprit(s)--hence this recent blood work.

Thank you friends💕

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2014, 10:17:35 PM »
Ughhhhh...

yeah, unfortunately, with the ee, you're sort of stuck assuming that they are a problem until you can verify that they aren't.   :-[

I'd definitely eliminate the ones that he was previously allergic to posthaste.  At least you already know how to avoid those. 

(Don't know if you remembered, but this happened to us with milk for a few years.  My word, it's hard to go back to avoiding something that you think you're free of worry with.  {sigh}  I'm so sorry.)

Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Offline GingerPye

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2014, 08:44:31 AM »
I don't know anything about EE; I hope that those are false positives. 

Hang in there, and keep us updated.   :grouphug:
DD, 25 - MA/EA/PA/env./eczema/asthma
DS, 22 - MA/EA/PA/env.
DH - adult-onset asthma
me - env. allergies, exhaustion, & mental collapse ...

Offline lilpig99

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2014, 10:48:02 PM »
SPT showed positives to 50+ foods. :/ Followed up with serum IgE which showed positives (class 2 and 3 mostly) to 45+ foods. Ugh ugh ugh. Tomato, chicken, and sunflower the most high. (He's already Ana to egg, and pn/tn allergic. His diet is ridiculous right now.

Hope they decide what and when to reintroduce sooooon!!

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2014, 11:01:46 AM »
Oh, Lilpig.   :-[  I'm so sorry.   I really hope that things can be turned around quickly with reintroductions happening both soon and smoothly.     :heart:  I am thinking about you.
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Offline cammiec

• Oklahoma Rain Photography
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2014, 03:38:24 PM »
I'm sorry that I don't have much information to offer, but I was one who had new allergies develop.  I'd had stomach issues my entire life, but it wasn't until I was mid-20s that I became anaphylactic.  After that I was tested positive for many foods.  Trial and accidental consumption has proved that I am in fact allergic to all that I tested positive for.  And just 6 months after my first run of tests, I developed even more severe reactions to things that I had tested negative for and been eating.

I'm hoping that your son gets to feeling better soon!
wheat, buckwheat, rye, oats, flax, plum, kiwi, watermelon, honeydew melon, squash, garlic, pinenuts, pistachio
And now severely lactose intolerant

Offline StridAst

« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2016, 09:19:05 AM »
On the off chance the OP still frequents the forum.  I'm curious. Did you ever get to reintroduce foods with your DS?  Your story sounds way too familiar to me.  EE, IgE total well over 400, food allergies to tons of various, extremely hard to avoid foods. And even fairly similar foods on the list. Most of which were confirmed through IgE testing. As with skin testing, I react to everything saline included (I'm convinced that must mean I'm allergic to needles lol) so the SPT shows nothing less than a 4.  The beginning of November marks one year for me of avoiding foods.  One year later, this still sucks bad.
StridAst

Reactions to: chickpeas, peanuts, onion, garlic, sunflower, safflower, peas, cherry, almonds and probably soy
Tested positive for, allergy unconfirmed:  beef, carrots, beans, milk, apples, raspberry.
Asthma, EE also