FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Roasted corn and zucchinni tacos  (Read 3356 times)

Description: Vegetarian

Offline Janelle205

Roasted corn and zucchinni tacos
« on: October 21, 2014, 03:27:49 AM »
http://www.budgetbytes.com/2013/12/roasted-corn-zucchini-tacos/

I made these for dinner tonight, and they were super easy and very popular.  Only thing that I changed is that we used guac instead of sliced avocado, because I had a container from the discount grocery.

Offline GoingNuts

Re: Roasted corn and zucchinni tacos
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2014, 05:58:25 AM »
Looks delicious!
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

Offline hedgehog

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2014, 06:23:41 AM »
OMG that looks good!!!
USA

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2014, 08:56:35 AM »
I have everything on hand but did toss Squishy avocados yesterday. We might do these with tostadas.
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2014, 08:58:21 AM »
I do sautéed veggies frequently for soft tacos, tostadas, hard tacos, or quesadillas (quesadillas happen at least 3-5 x a week at our house for dinner or a snack). Also good in this--diced sweet potatoes

Offline ajasfolks2

• Global Moderator
  • Committee Member Firebird
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2014, 05:12:10 PM »
Yum to see this with the added zucchini -- I typically do a fajita-veggie type sauté (including corn) and I really brown/carmelize/char the veggies.  So versatile and yummy!!

In next couple of days I had planned a "Mex stir fry" as we call it (oh, some of DH's family would shudder at that name) . . . usually included with the meal is Mex Rice (homemade) and/or beans in some form.  Beans might be homemade pinto (charro) or out-of-the-can and then doctored black beans or other.

If I had a lime tree and constant supply of cilantro, I'd be in heaven.   ;D
Is this where I blame iPhone and cuss like an old fighter pilot's wife?

**(&%@@&%$^%$#^%$#$*&      LOL!!   

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2014, 06:03:49 PM »
We did QChipMoes the other night (our version of Qdoba/Chipotle/Moe's) and served up sautéed veggies in gorilla tortilla bowls or flour tortillas.  I did a quickie black bean dish--just added drained rotel to rinsed black beans. Added adobo sauce to both the beans and the sautéed veggies. Yeah--carneliZed onions are the bestest. :) I didn't have a poblano (which is unusual for me), but I did add a serrano and a jalapeño to the veggies. And pickled jalapeño slices that were set out as an option were gobbled up. I could eat them like candy!

Offline ajasfolks2

• Global Moderator
  • Committee Member Firebird
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2014, 06:36:25 PM »
Everybody and anybody who reads this thread and does any sort of homemade Mex should have some

roasted cumin.

If you'd rather make your own, just toast / roast whole or ground cumin in fry pan with or without oil . . . and add to the dish.

Pretty much any herb or spice can also be improved by the same method.

But, cumin is heavenly when improved.  And the new shortcut version (yeah, I know, McCormick, may not be on approved list) is so great.

;D

Add a Shiner Bock and perfection.   ;D ;D
Is this where I blame iPhone and cuss like an old fighter pilot's wife?

**(&%@@&%$^%$#^%$#$*&      LOL!!   

Offline Janelle205

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2014, 12:55:24 AM »
After leftovers twice this week, DSD has decided that she likes these better than 'regular' beef tacos.  DH is not as sold, but he likes them enough to repeat - he just wants the other kind every once in a while as well.

Offline hedgehog

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2014, 06:06:25 AM »
Thinking of doing this as a side for thanksgiving.  That is, a side for some, a main for my vegan mom and her vegetarian husband.  I won't do as tacos, just the yummy filling, maybe with lime wedges served on the side.
  Question: is it better when it is first cooked, or as leftovers after the flavors develop and blend?  If it is better as leftovers, I can do a day ahead and reheat. But if better the first time, I can still cook while everything else is cooking, but it is not as convenient.
USA

Offline Janelle205

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2014, 08:49:24 PM »
I didn't actually eat any, because I was super nauseous when I made this, but DH and DSD ate leftovers and loved it both times.  I'm not sure that it was better, but they were just as excited about it the second time.

Offline hedgehog

« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2014, 05:40:59 AM »
Thanks.  Maybe I will do ahead then.  One less dish to do on the day of.
USA