NEED INPUT: Allergens in the classroom

Started by Mookie86, October 07, 2014, 01:06:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mookie86

I don't know if the rat thawing entails submerging in water, under a heat lamp, or just thawed being at room temperature.  There are multiple ways to do it.  He doesn't remember if there was a heat lamp or any liquid in the bowl.

I am asking about the bedding.

Thanks for everyone's thinking about this.  I know it's not a fun subject.

becca

Of course, there is a big problem here for your ds if his eye or eyes swell shut in the room each day!  So, it is important to figure it out or change his room if he has never had this problem before.  But it does seem to be puzzling.  How often they feed the snake, vs bedding and other allergens seems worth exploring.  But in the meantime, he is having issues.  Does he take an antihistamine?  I presume he does and this is not being managed by that. 

Very frustrating to figure out.  I know, becaue I am trying to do this in my own home for dd. 
dd with peanut, tree nut and raw egg allergy

Mookie86

He doesn't want to change his schedule, so I've got positive attitude helping guard against psychosomatic response.  The plan is to have him reenter the room on a day the rats haven't been there and make sure he's fine.  He has a field trip tomorrow.  Thursday was feeding day last week, so I'm guessing rat thawing occurs again on Thursday.  If that's correct, ds either will get to the room early Thursday morning before the teacher takes the rats to the classroom -- assuming the teacher still plans to thaw in the classroom -- or he will go to the room on Friday to make sure he's ok next day.  I can't believe they won't be willing to thaw the rats elsewhere, so let's eliminate that variable and see if there's still an issue.  It doesn't seem a big deal to ask him to set a bowl of thawing rats someplace else.  I'm sure they could find another appropriate location.

becca

That seems very reasonable, to try thawing somewhere else.  If he reacts without the rats there, then you know to explore other avenues. 

Macabre

Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Mookie86

You got it, Mac!  Wouldn't that be distracting to learning for numerous students?  It's at the front of the room! 

Side note:  How ironic is it that I am the parent stuck dealing with this issue?  I feel sick thinking about any living being killed or eaten.  DS doesn't even acknowledge what this is doing to me.  :disappointed:

Janelle205

Or just thawing them in a ziplock bag?  That is how I always did it - didn't take them out until immediately prior to feeding.

ajasfolks2

I'm wondering if there is something else about the other critters, their bedding, and their food that is in the classroom.

About how big is the actual room (please repeat for me if I missed it) -- how many feet by how many feet?

Does the school need a really good HEPA filter / air cleaner? 

Are the ducts to that room full of mold?
Is this where I blame iPhone and cuss like an old fighter pilot's wife?

**(&%@@&%$^%$#^%$#$*&      LOL!!   

becca

How is this going, Mookie?  Has he been back into the room?  Today was snake feeding day, right? 

Mookie86

I told ds not to go to class unless we got confirmation the rats weren't in the room today. I didn't hear anything. I don't know if anyone talked with ds. This situation is really dragging along.  :-/

Thanks for asking, becca.

daisy madness

Would it be possible for the rats to be thawed somewhere other than in the classroom, and for the snake to be fed after school, with the custodial staff cleaning the room before the next school day?

Mookie86

Quote from: daisy madness on October 09, 2014, 04:31:45 PM
Would it be possible for the rats to be thawed somewhere other than in the classroom, and for the snake to be fed after school, with the custodial staff cleaning the room before the next school day?

That's exactly what I've asked for:  rats thawing elsewhere, not coming into contact with the bowl and instruments that come into contact with the rats, and washing hands with soap and water if anyone touches the rats.

Feeding always is in the afternoon and he has class in the morning, so I don't have to negotiate that one.

Mookie86

I have a resolution on this matter.  He's moving back to the original teacher, where he had no allergy issues in her room (he'd moved out of that class due to another schedule change, but we re-arranged it again to put him back with her  ~)).  It's unclear their exact reasoning why they picked this solution:  teacher wouldn't thaw the rats outside the classroom, school wasn't willing to assume the rat was the issue and not something else in the room, or some other reason.  I merely was told he's going back to the original teacher.  The change will go into effect tomorrow (no school today for students, but teachers are there for professional development).

becca

Well, glad it is resovled.  He must be very behind in that class, now.  :(

ajasfolks2

I'm glad there's a solution, but something still doesn't add up there.

However, you may have to settle for the "we'll never know" answer.  Frustrating!

Hoping things settle and that his learning isn't permanently compromised in this class now . . . (and other class, what with the schedule change).

Is this where I blame iPhone and cuss like an old fighter pilot's wife?

**(&%@@&%$^%$#^%$#$*&      LOL!!   

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 365 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Spell the answer to 6 + 7 =:
Please spell spammer backwards:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview