FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Best alternative milk for cooking  (Read 5495 times)

Description:

Offline MaryM

Best alternative milk for cooking
« on: December 13, 2014, 08:23:46 AM »
We have been dealing with a dairy allergy for 10 years.  The kids drink soy milk and its great for baking but I find even plain soy milk has a sort of sweet taste in things like mashed potatoes.  Hedgie posted a recipe for me and I am wondering what milk alternative you use for savory dishes.  If you use soy and find it doesn't taste sweet, what brand do you use?

Offline Linden

Re: Best alternative milk for cooking
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2014, 12:50:59 PM »
I've had the same trouble with soy milk in non-sweet foods.  I've had somewhat better luck with unsweetened (as opposed to plain) soy milk.  I've also drained (makes it less sour), and then whipped (using the stick blender) tofu and used it instead of soy milk.  The "soybean-y" taste usually comes through, however, and I have never figured out how to neutralize that.  Sometimes I just use chicken broth and "fake butter" for flavor instead. 

In terms of shared lines, I have found everything depends on the plant the soy milk was produced in.  One brand/product can be in multiple plants some of which are nut free and some are not. And whether or not the plant is "safe" changes constantly as nut milks are so popular right now. I just call the manufacturers directly and ask them specifically about the plant number to find out.  You can find the plant code stamped on top of the carton. 
DS TNA/EA, avocado, environmentals, asthma

Offline joanna5

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2014, 07:46:50 AM »
For mashed potatoes, I mash them with chicken stock, EB margarine, Tofutti sour cream, salt, pepper, and chives.  None of the sweetness you'd get with soy milk.  Same general idea with chicken pot pie- I use chicken stock, extra margarine, and some extra flour for thickening. 
David (10/04): Allergic to milk, eggs, peanuts, tree nuts, and mustard
Allison (9/06): NKA
Ryan (3/11): Allergic to milk and eggs

Offline krasota

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2014, 08:03:58 PM »
Unsweetened coconut milk--the kind in cartons, not cans.  Or unsweetened almond milk.

For mashed potatoes, though, I just skip the milk.

For mashed sweet potatoes, culinary/canned coconut milk is awesome.
--
DS (04/07) eggs (baked okay now!)
DD (03/12) eggs (small dose baked), stevia
DH histamine intolerance
Me?  Some days it seems like everything.

Offline spacecanada

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2014, 11:24:35 AM »
Another vote for unsweetened soy milk.
ANA peanuts, tree nuts, wheat, potato, sorghum