imagelogin
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Ventolin shortage in Canada  (Read 4431 times)

Description:

Offline SilverLining

Ventolin shortage in Canada
« on: March 05, 2016, 03:38:53 PM »
http://www.ctvnews.ca/health/asthma-drug-shortage-prompts-concern-over-generic-substitute-1.2800528

Tried to get a refill today. Passed on generic as it actually does not work as well, however, considering going back and getting it because we fear there will a shortage on generic soon too.

Offline spacecanada

Re: Ventolin shortage in Canada
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2016, 04:31:36 PM »
Oh no, mine expires at the end of the month.  Our old pharmacy wouldn't even stock, yet alone dispense the generic because it is so poor. I find it tastes horrible too.  I guess I need to stop by the pharmacy first thing on Monday to see if I need to order it now or if they will have some later this month... Thank you for the heads up!

Thankfully, we always have a handful of EpiPens in case Ventolin isn't available and teouble arises. 
« Last Edit: March 05, 2016, 04:34:18 PM by spacecanada »
ANA peanuts, tree nuts, wheat, potato, sorghum

Offline SilverLining

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2016, 09:35:58 PM »
I hope you're able to get it.

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2016, 10:09:40 PM »
This is really awful-- drugs that are literally life-and-death rescue meds really ought to be a national priority, particularly when they impact a high percentage of the population, as asthma most certainly does.   :-/

Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Offline spacecanada

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2016, 03:22:59 PM »
I just got back from several stops today.  Our local pharmacies haven't had Ventolin in stock since before Christmas.  Eek!!!

I rarely ever use mine, but with my recent track record of systemic reactions, I have used it more in the past month than the past two years combined.  I hope my inhaler will have a few worthwhile doses left in it until replacements arrive.  I'm the notification list for when it's back in stock.  They didn't say anything about end of the month, either, jut that they haven't had any indication of when it will be back.  The generic doesn't work for me.   :disappointed:

Anyone know if the generic contains dairy?  Was that a thing?  I remember being taken off a generic of something (possibly an inhaler?) because the dairy in it was giving me such horrible side effects it negated the use of the medication.

Offline rebekahc

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2016, 08:02:39 AM »
I'm not sure if you can order Ventolin online for delivery into Canada, but you can in the US.  When we didn't have insurance, it was so much cheaper to get it that way (~$3.00 per inhaler - well, looks like prices have gone up, but still inexpensive at $4.88). 

Several years ago (in the US) when they made the inhalers go CFC-free, we couldn't get the blue packaged Ventolin only a red other brand one.  We found the red one didn't work as well for DS and neither did the other generics they came out with.  The ones we're able to get from overseas are the blue ones (but still CFC free).  I'm guessing they eventually brought the blue Ventolin back here, but we were already using mail order by then.  Here's a link to the ones we buy.  http://www.reliablerxpharmacy.com/ventorlin-cfc-free-inhaler.html  I've always had good success with them.  BTW:  salbutamol = albuterol and Ventorlin = Ventolin (in Europe, etc.) 

« Last Edit: March 08, 2016, 08:05:56 AM by rebekahc »
TX - USA
DS - peanut, tree nut, milk, eggs, corn, soy, several meds, many environmentals. Finally back on Xolair!
DD - mystery anaphylaxis, shellfish.
DH - banana/avocado, aspirin.  Asthma.
Me - peanut, tree nut, shellfish, banana/avocado/latex,  some meds.

Offline spacecanada

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2016, 10:08:30 AM »
Thank you for the information, Rebekah.  I don't feel comfortable ordering medication from another country or online, especially since it looks different. Much like ordering food in other places - too many unknowns. I guess I just have to wait.

Offline rebekahc

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2016, 10:52:57 AM »
Yes, SC, I generally feel the same way about it.  But sometimes you do what you have to.  Without insurance I would have paid $125 for the kids' doctor to write their prescriptions plus another $125 for my doctor to write the rx for me and then $50 per inhaler.  With DH out of work, it just made more financial sense to get 6 inhalers for < $50 including shipping.  The ones we bought were made by GSK and looked just like the ones we had, so that was comforting.  Luckily, we never had any issues with the inhalers we got over the years.  Now that we have insurance, I'll go back to getting them here (unless there's a shortage) once ours need replacing.   
TX - USA
DS - peanut, tree nut, milk, eggs, corn, soy, several meds, many environmentals. Finally back on Xolair!
DD - mystery anaphylaxis, shellfish.
DH - banana/avocado, aspirin.  Asthma.
Me - peanut, tree nut, shellfish, banana/avocado/latex,  some meds.

Offline SilverLining

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2016, 09:47:46 PM »
Oh no, mine expires at the end of the month.  Our old pharmacy wouldn't even stock, yet alone dispense the generic because it is so poor. I find it tastes horrible too.  I guess I need to stop by the pharmacy first thing on Monday to see if I need to order it now or if they will have some later this month... Thank you for the heads up!

Thankfully, we always have a handful of EpiPens in case Ventolin isn't available and teouble arises.

I got a call yesterday that ours were ready for pick up. They are the real Ventolin.

Offline spacecanada

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2016, 10:53:03 PM »
Great, I will call our pharmacy tomorrow.  Thank you for the update.

Offline spacecanada

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2016, 04:08:19 PM »
Our pharmacy just got Ventolin again.  I have my refill order in to be picked up tomorrow.  Wowzers.

Offline SilverLining

« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2016, 03:09:21 PM »
Wonder why it took so long.

Offline spacecanada

« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2016, 05:51:38 PM »
It's an island...  ???

Anyway, I can finally get rid of the expired one.  I use an average of 12-14 doses per year... I wasn't too concerned.