login
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: KFA/AAFA - Parent advocacy / schools / changing laws  (Read 4587 times)

Description:

Offline ajasfolks2

• Committee Member Firebird
Re: KFA/AAFA - Parent advocacy / schools / changing laws
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2014, 12:51:49 PM »
Not sure if they'll get to any questions before it is over . . .

Is this where I blame iPhone and cuss like an old fighter pilot's wife?

**(&%@@&%$^%$#^%$#$*&      LOL!!   

Offline ajasfolks2

« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2014, 12:52:58 PM »
Questions . . .

some answers . . .

not full of a lot of meat.

« Last Edit: October 21, 2014, 01:03:04 PM by ajasfolks2 »

Offline ajasfolks2

« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2014, 01:05:18 PM »
There was a question re: peanut bans,

but they'll add the Q&A for that onto the published webinar and/or blog later.

There was a question re:  school bus drivers and epi-admininstering, but they were not all that helpful as to answer / advice.  I did not feel that they truly understood some of the issues many in this nation are facing with school bus and epi.  JMHO.

Offline ajasfolks2

« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2014, 01:14:14 PM »
Overall impression:

Not very dynamic.

Not a lot of new information.

Lost opportunity.

guess

« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2014, 11:52:15 PM »
Now connect the dots with you--and your organization--in the broader picture.

This webinar brought you in contact with a framework of people, organizations and parallel work in progress. You're one of the head administrators of a non-profit with thousands of members, one that has been recognized as a resource by a very well-respected legal advocacy establishment.

Pump the brakes a bit before chalking it up as a lost opportunity.

You're the head of an advocacy based organization that is weighted heavily towards disability civil rights ADA primarily in education. What's missing can be brought to the table if it's not there already, and it can be done by identifying partners for collaboration. There are likely quite a few potential allies and colleagues heading kindred organizations that would love to partner with another specializing in an area they have not yet developed, or are weak in.

In all fairness the bus issue is a tough one to crack I would not hold it against them to not have much of a response mounted. I do think it's a positive sign that it was brought up.

As much as I do offline, online there's a lot more that can be done if I may say suggest. There's a few here I would identify as persons likely to suit up for ADA roller derby style, yourself included. To that end there's a few resources to mine before going to special education based training that is going to be geared to address the IDEA Part B about 80% by volume, maybe 20% 504 and ADA.

ADA National Network Overview of Disability Rights Laws

Welcome to a free, self-paced course on federal disability rights laws.

The course will take approximately 90-120 minutes to complete. All you need is a computer and an internet connection.

The information below provides details about the course and will help you determine if this program is right for you.

ADA Training

Bookmark and reference these comprehensive training resources on the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and disability-related topics from the ADA National Network and collaborative efforts by national, regional, and local Networks and Partners. For questions and customized training, contact your ADA Center: 1-800-949-4232

Northeast ADA Center Online Learning

The ADA and accessible transportation (Title II and Title III)

Wednesday, February 11, 2015
01:00 PM - 02:00 PM EST

Presented By:

Employment and Disability Institute

amongst others

Imagine if a team of individuals here take every opportunity free and available at a self-directed pace for a considerable amount of time. That's the honed specialty you inject into the system, making sure not to overlook the single most powerful leverage for opportunity that's here: a registered non-profit that can sponsor individuals (or send key administrators/staff) for advanced training not available to stand alone individuals without organization sponsorship, and group training offered to established organizations.

Do that and you start networking with key ADA people.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2014, 11:54:27 PM by guess »

Offline ajasfolks2

« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2014, 02:51:34 PM »
This is supposedly the link.

have not watched yet (but I did participate)

How Parents Can Change Laws to Protect Students with Food Allergies