What about the 504 do you not understand?

Started by Macabre, December 03, 2014, 08:24:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Macabre

I was going through my email to find something, and I ran across this.  Yes, I know I'm an email packrat.  I thought it might be good to have a thread where we can have little vents about folks not understanding what the 504 says. 

Here's a first go:

Sent: Sunday, March 07, 2010 7:36 PM
To: <SpanishTeacher>.; <504C>.
Cc: <Principle>.; <Myworkemail>; <DHemail>
Subject: Class Party Concern
Dear Ms. <Spanish Teacher>,

We understand there is an end of class party planned in the next few days.  We are concerned about several issues related to <DS>'s 504 plan.

First, we were not made aware of this party except through <DS>.  In order to plan for a safe event, we need to be involved in advance. The 504 plan indicates we will be notified of any special occasion where the school will permit food to be consumed. 

Second, the way the food discussion was handled is contrary to the way we discussed handling his allergy in the August 19, 2009, 504 meeting and also is in violation of FERPA.  We discussed being sensitive to <DS>'s privacy in dealing with his food allergy in front of his peers.  We also discussed handling things in such as way that <DS> does not get blamed by his peers and that he is not put in the middle or on the spot because of his food allergy. 

This is the incident as we understand it: It was announced to <DS>'s Spanish class that there would be a party with food.  He talked with you and indicated you should take this up with Ms. <504C>. Students started asking <DS> about the foods he is limited to and tried to negotiate food for the party with him. Eventually you asked him in front of the class about whether he could have certain food.  We understand you suggested the class do another activity instead of the food-oriented party, because the party would be too hard. The other children were not happy with that idea.  One child asked <DS>, "What's wrong with you?"

Discussing a classroom food-oriented party with him in front of the other students puts him in an awkward position.  It pits his needs for FAPE and his 504 accommodations against the other students' wishes.  And if they can't have something they want because of <DS>'s life threatening food allergy, it will appear he is to blame.

Third, one of this year's goals discussed in the August meeting was to protect <DS>'s privacy.  As he gets older, privacy regarding life threatening food allergy, which is a hidden disability, is critical.  We have to think about his safety, and he's frankly safer with fewer children aware of his Achilles heel. 

As you know from his 504 plan, food items are not to be consumed in <DS>'s classroom, so we assume if there is food at the party, it will be consumed elsewhere.

We're happy to work with you to ensure that the party occurs in keeping with <DS>'s 504 plan and our discussion at the August meeting. If food is to be provided, it should be inclusive, and we need to be consulted.  We will need to read labels and need advance time for this.  We are more than happy to provide some of the food so that <DS> can have what his other classmates are eating.  If it is to be Mexican-themed, we have experience cooking Tex-Mex and Mexican cuisines, and we would gladly contribute an appropriate treat (perhaps a tres leches cake, pumpkin empanadas, pumpkin tamales, or another food). 

If you would like to talk with one of us on the phone or meet with one of us, please let us know.  Our contact information is at the bottom.  Know that <DS> has absolutely loved taking Spanish.  It's a language we've missed hearing since moving to <City> from Texas, and we've been thrilled <DS> has had such a good introduction to it. We'd like the end of class celebration be something that helps him think of the class fondly, not something that causes him to feel different and excluded.  We're sure steps can taken to make it accessible and a good experience for all the students.

Sincerely yours,

Macabre

This is the email I got back:

Sent: Monday, March 08, 2010 6:35 AM
To: Macabre@home.email
Subject: RE: Class Party Concern

Good morning! We are not having a party, we are just going to watch a movie and maybe have some popcorn.  Do you think popcorn is going to be ok with <DS>? Please let me know.

Thanks

Um, what about
QuoteAs you know from his 504 plan, food items are not to be consumed in <DS>'s classroom, so we assume if there is food at the party, it will be consumed elsewhere.
indicates that
Quotewe are just going to watch a movie and maybe have some popcorn.  Do you think popcorn is going to be ok with <DS>?
is okay?

:rofl:

And I see there was no mention of bargaining with DS in class

Crazy.  No wonder he moved to German.
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

daisy madness

You prepared such a well-worded, considerate letter.  Her response is almost laughable, if it wasn't so sad. 

tigerlily

Thanks for posting. Going through this right now and I'll be channeling the same tone and logic.
DS1-PA, TNA, SFA
DS2-NKA

ajasfolks2

For our family's purposes, I am almost thinking a version of the (top) letter prepared as statement for the Aug/Sept 504 meeting -- and put "into the record" at the meeting as part of the  504? . . . Hmmmm . . . perhaps over Winter break I'll have some time to wordsmith and post this in thread . . .

Of course, by then, there will have been at least *2* stupid "party" attempt 504 violations (at least 1 per kid per school) in our family, so I'll be peeved and aggravated, so will need the calm, polite words here to fall back on.

Otherwise . . . well . . .  :paddle:

Is this where I blame iPhone and cuss like an old fighter pilot's wife?

**(&%@@&%$^%$#^%$#$*&      LOL!!   

ajasfolks2

guess

The shorthand version is accommodation implemented with fidelity. It won't register with teachers but it should bring administrators to attention.

ajasfolks2

Where is "like" button?!

I think I could write a poem . . .

accommodation implemented with fidelity

vs

atmosphere conducive to a fatality

guess

I can't take credit for it.  It's a standardized term.  What it should do for food allergy related 504 accommodations is cut a swath through the foodfoodfood infinite loop by bringing the conversation back to compliance, and whatsoever is in need of enforcement to fulfill that obligation.

ajasfolks2

Thank you, guess!! 

(Want you to know I wasn't making light of the phrase!)

Truly fabulous to have that in our, um, quiver of arrows?
It has been so hard WAY too long for many of us as we had our 504s and then dealt with the crapola of "fuzzy lines" (or so the schools thought . . . and they wanted us to think).

Thing of beauty!

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 365 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Please spell spammer backwards:
Spell the answer to 6 + 7 =:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview