login
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: New School Policy Bellevue WA  (Read 11131 times)

Description:

Offline Stinky10

Re: New School Policy Bellevue WA
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2014, 01:05:31 PM »
Stinky,

I have to believe that you've contributed to this avalanche, and by association, so have we at FAS.

Thank you for sharing!!

:smooch:

Absolutely it was people from here who informed my philosophy (which wasn't easy - I thought he should buck up and deal with it) and then informed my argument.   SO many people from here and the places we called home before here.....many that aren't around anymore and some that are - too many to mention but Macabre handed me her DS's 504, letter and arguments that served as my template and I will forever be grateful for that!

I do think that we helped Bellevue see the issues, I know I helped them KNOW that LTFA qualified for a 504 (LOL) - and my DH was always pushing for FOOD FREE.

Honestly I'm still in shock and worried that something bad happened. 

But EVERYONE here helped me - whether they argued with me, helped me, gave a different POV, moderated, etc......    :happydance:
Spanking cats for 40 years!

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2014, 05:14:49 PM »
:smooch:
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2014, 06:11:30 PM »
 :smooch:  Again-- don't forget to pat YOURSELVES on the back, Stinky.  You and your DH, I suspect, have been a huge part of this day coming to pass.

Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Offline Stinky10

« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2014, 12:00:01 PM »
Well, the stinks hitting the fan.  :(

People are blaming the School Board who apparently had nothing to do with this.  Meeting is on Tuesday

and here is what one board member thinks:

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=758413937539400&id=230650703649062

Offline devnull

« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2014, 01:09:36 PM »
A challenge was destined.  Be prepared to counter it successfully.

Based on the opinion expressed in the link you provided this particular board member does not seem to acknowledge that anaphylaxis is increasing, not decreasing, so the number of incidents of accidental ingestion because of curricula or classroom use of food would be not be reduced if the use itself is not curtailed if she is truly interested in investing herself into greater education and examination.  Neither does she seem to embrace her position as an education board member the responsibility to safety, inclusion and FAPE.  Certainly I could anticipate her coded response that she wants to "learn" how to "safely" include food, which really and truly the horse trade she's after despite the evidence before all that students were put at risk by use of food and have had life threatening reactions to which the district has responded promptly to.

Ms. Chew certainly has a challenge before her in this role: Adapt. Innovate. Lead.

I would think the greater challenges are to come in the form of organized resistance and potentially national attention.  This is a bit of a petri dish in terms of policy test.

Offline Stinky10

« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2014, 07:03:01 PM »
erg
trying to find out what drove the policy.   ds's principal said he had no idea, but is worried about the impact to low income kids.  I've asked him how this would impact them. 

I'm drafting my letter.

might post in off topic for now

Offline Stinky10

« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2014, 12:30:07 AM »
this is from a teacher I know....

I would like to share my thoughts about the recent action taken by Bellevue School District leaders regarding food in school.
On the professional level, I support the action taken for the following reasons:
(1) Clarity
The action taken holds all members of the BSD community (staff, students, parents, and community) to the same clear standard.
(2) Inclusivity
The action establishes a genuinely inclusive tone. All students can now have the same experience at each in-school celebration.
(3) Equity
Regardless of socio-economic and cultural background, all students in BSD can now have similar experiences in school.
(4) Safety
The action taken allows BSD greater confidence in our mission to ensure the health and safety of all children in our care.
On the personal level, I support the action taken for the following reasons:
(1) First-hand relationship with children with life-threatening food allergies and their parent(s).
Hearing the (elementary-aged) child’s experience (and what their parents do to support their child) is heartbreaking. These individuals, many of whom are quiet, regularly feel subtle exclusion because of previous practices. Why subject children to repeated exclusion?
Unexpectedly learning it was my dentist’s daughter who was the child at Puesta.
(2) Personally, as a “minority” who has allergies and chronic medical conditions cause me, a middle- aged adult, to feel excluded and marginalized because I am unable to fully participate despite my desire to do so. I’m often left (quietly) feeling like a “weirdo” when I can’t do something or I need special accommodations. All I really want is to be “like everyone else.”
(3) The party was far easier to clean up! Less mess!
(4) Provides people planning events opportunities to be more creative. I have my students plan parties and they solved the problem immediately and the party was great.

((love))

Offline Janelle205

« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2014, 01:03:46 AM »
I would think that no food would be preferable for low income kids.  For someone coming from a food insecure household, I think that it could be very upsetting to see how another student's parents can bring in tray after tray of extravagant goodies.

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2014, 12:11:36 PM »
I would think so, as well-- and in spite of the warm-fuzzy-happy theoretical "inclusivity-ethnic-diversity" PICTURE that administrators and even some teachers have re: food sharing and inclusion within the curriculum...

let's face it, a certain percentage of kids-- esp. elementary kids-- are VERY picky eaters, and they are very definitely not shy as-- er, well, "food critics" let's just say.

So if a lower income child in a classroom, whose parents are ethnically different from other classmates, brings in "treats" to share, is that going to be positively received by children who are used to upscale cupcakes from the expensive local bakery?  Or is it more likely to be paradoxically divisive and a point of shame for that child?  I'm guessing the latter-- from experience, let me add.

FA children often experience that even when Mom/Dad do bring in (expensive) or home made treats to share.  The kids with a palate for the commercial, highly-processed stuff?  Yeah, they turn their noses up and mock.

I can't imagine the shame of bringing in something that one's classmates will openly treat like roadkill after having seen them snarf down "Ritzy Bakery" cookies or cupcakes that the more privileged classmates have brought in.  KWIM?

Western U.S.

Offline Stinky10

« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2014, 12:48:08 PM »
I got an excellent response from a nurse in town - can't post it.  :(

She agrees - low income families will be helped by this by relieving the pressure to provide bday treats.

Here is the letter I sent to the board.   I'm out of time to edit/re-write so I let it fly.   Must work now.  :)   I am going to the board meeting tomorrow night - so any and all ideas/thoughts are welcome! 

Dear Bellevue School Board,

This is regarding the recent huge step forward in making our district’s schools safe and inclusive for all children.  It has come to my attention that at least one of the Board Members opposes this procedure and has put the topic up for discussion at the upcoming board meeting.

As the parent of a child with a life threatening food allergy I wholeheartedly support the new procedure even though it will not materially affect my son.  It won’t affect him because I have ensured that his rights to FAPE are met through a 504 plan.  One of the basic accommodations is that all rooms that he has classes in are FOOD FREE rooms.   It has never been clear to me why this isn’t the case for all children with life threatening food allergies.   The district is responsible to provide FAPE even if the parents are unaware of their child’s rights.    I have had to advocate year after year for my son’s safety and inclusion, even though it is his right and your duty to provide a safe and inclusive education.   We get there each year, but it takes time educating the educators and attorneys.   

The new procedure is clear, easy and concise.   It is fair, equitable, enforceable and provides a safe and inclusive learning environment for all children.   It is in line with federal disability laws, and health and wellness mandates.  Having food at parties, celebrations, events, etc. is tantamount to having weapons there.   Could your non allergic child enjoy a party when there was a weapon on the table?   Could they then engage in higher learning without impact? 

There have been years at Bennett elementary when the whole grade decided to go food free for a multitude of reasons.  They were fun years led by smart teachers.  But unfortunately, over the years my son has faced the stigma of being the “allergy kid” and the reason why his class can’t have a food party.  He’s attended the Cherry Crest Welcoming party only to feel unwelcomed and unsafe as there was nothing served there that was safe for him.  I thought of the children with dairy allergy as there was ice cream on all of the surfaces and  play equipment.   I’m sure that the dairy allergic didn’t attend the event given the name “Ice Cream Social” but they were put in danger by it none the less given the contamination of the area.  This so-called community building event , held at a school adorned with UNITY signs ironically excludes food allergic children and their families.    The amount of food and parties surrounding fifth grade “graduation” was dangerous (unsafe food served in the dark at a dance) and overwhelming.  There were half a dozen events where food was served.  It was extreme. 

Allowing food parties, personal birthday parties with cupcakes and ice cream, and food reward programs negate the Wellness Policies and go against the Federally Mandated nutritional guidelines and of course the disability laws.  Recently a “nut-ban” was challenged in the courts, the ruling is attached.   

Calling this change in procedure extreme is shortsighted.   Having a child die in your school is extreme and that frankly is the threat that we are faced with.   I’ve met family members of children who have died in WA State schools, with an action plan, and an epi pen in the room, unused while the child is dying on the floor.   We know that teachers, well meaning, in this district have encouraged children to ingest their allergen.   It is not extreme to stop this careless practice and give teachers clear guidance.   It is extreme to wait until there is a death in Bellevue to support this procedure. 

I was honored to meet with Superintendent Randy Dorn to discuss this very issue this spring.  There are dozens of guidelines, hundreds of pages of policy, papers from the CDC the OPSI, action plans, health care plans, 504 plans, state law, federal law, etc.  and yet this one simple policy will stand to greatly simplify them all.  The pages and pages, the training, negotiating, meetings, time and money spent all so we can have cupcakes or culturally meaningful food in a class room is a waste of our precious resources and is not “community building” when it endangers and excludes a growing number of students and families.  Much of that is resolved by this new policy and I for one think it’s brilliant.

I would like to see the School Board understand and support this procedure and focus on implementing the stocking of epinephrine for schools.   http://app.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=28A.210.383.    The wonderful (overworked and understaffed) nurses, families of lower economic means, food allergic children, diabetic children, obese children, and our teachers themselves would be much better served with your support.

Further this takes us off course in dealing with academic performance, emergency procedures, flu,  school shootings,  etc.    The use of food in schools in Bellevue prior to this policy was out of sync with the health, wellness, and academic success of our students.   

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: November 03, 2014, 03:11:55 PM »
{APPLAUSE}

NICE.   VERY nice.   :yes:

Western U.S.

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #26 on: November 03, 2014, 03:23:23 PM »
Wow Stinky. That's great.
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

guess

« Reply #27 on: November 03, 2014, 04:04:36 PM »
Very solid.  I raise my glass (of tea) to you.  :cocktail:

Offline Stinky10

« Reply #28 on: November 03, 2014, 04:35:24 PM »
I'm concerned.  I'm very concerned.

guess

« Reply #29 on: November 03, 2014, 04:57:23 PM »
Stinky, this is all you can do.  It's working towards resolution, it has to withstand challenges.  Will it?  We've seen backlash before we all know what it looks like so if this is coming down to a public relations court of opinion trial then all who stand with the new policy need to step forward in a united front.  On the bright side this is policy and not law so it doesn't take quite as much to alter, AND whatever comes it needs to be compliant with federal and state laws.

Regardless, well structured argument in my opinion.  The more I read of legal writing clarity always wins the day.  It is a very coherent letter.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2014, 05:19:26 PM by guess »