What is your day like with non-PA FA?

Started by LaurensMom, November 05, 2014, 10:41:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LaurensMom

So I was explaining PA and how easily it can cause a reaction, and used the example of a shared keyboard with PB oils on it.  The response was, "Yes, we need to be more sensitive everyone with all kinds of food allergies".  I didn't get the sense that a PA issue was addressed after that statement so in an effort to press the PA issue, I said something to the effect of, " Well, take milk allergies for example. While just was dangerous on ingestion, PA has a higher chance exposure due to amount of PA products eaten by hand, as snacks. Oils are just so very likely to get transferred"

Then I realized I had absolutely no basis for that statement. So what I am curious about is how difficult "normal" day-to-day activities are for those who have FA instead of or in addition to PA? I am not looking for "My allergy is more severe than yours" debate. I'm truly trying to learn. A potential opportunity exists for helping a community become educated about what it is like to live with PA. However, if I know more about other FA, I'd rather broaden my message.

I know PA. We have the "peanut radar", which turns on any time we're in a place without an easy escape (bus, elevator, movie theater, college classroom). With PB discovered nearby, we watch seats, buttons, arm rests, desks/keyboards, respectively, for example.

Do you with other FA go through the same thing? Do you have a FA-specific radar?

What is the most difficult part of your allergy experience that you wish others understood?

[modified to add]
If you could answer the question....

Life would be easier for my FA loved one if people did/did not____________________.

Me? I wish people handled PB like they do raw chicken. Put knives directly in dishwaser. Use plates. Wash hands after touching. Eat candy bars like a banana, peeling the wrapper as the go. Enjoy it to their hearts content, but carefully.

Janelle205

I have the generally rare experience of having a non-top 8 allergy with ridiculous sensitivity and relatively severe reactions.  I've reacted to trace amounts of residue from juice.  I've had a contact reaction that sent me to the ER and this summer started having asthma flares from airborne exposure.  (Which I actually wouldn't have believed myself, except that it happened twice, and each time was a blind exposure - I didn't know that large amounts of apples were being cooked until after I reacted.)

I generally try not to touch much of anything in public.  I try to wear a sweatshirt most of the time so that I can open doors, push carts, and pick up things with my sleeve instead of my bare hands.  I'm super careful with placement of products in the grocery store.  Obviously I never purchase prepared fruit or veggies from the store. 

Apples are in WAY more things than you would expect.  The popular thing to do now is to try to make your product sound healthier by sweetening it with fruit juice concentrate instead of corn syrup.  This is usually apple juice (or another fruit that I'm allergic to).  It is not uncommon to find apple in potato chips or meat products.

I think that in general, life is pretty similar for anyone who has a severe food allergy with a low reaction threshold and serious reactions.

I do think that one of the benefits of PA as opposed to non-top 8 is that there is generally good labelling for nuts.  With non-top 8, you have to make a lot of decisions about what to trust and what to skip, since they don't have to be on the ingredients list.

TT

The point is you caught and saved yourself from your own solipsism.  No harm, no foul, KWIM?

That speaker who ignored the important points you were attempting to transmit... different ish. 

As far as allergens, I'm agnostic.  Janelle covered the important factors: threshold, severity and history. 

lakeswimr

My child has MFAs including peanut.  Peanut and seeds like sesame in general can cause reactions from a far smaller amount than most other allergens (and nuts are close to peanuts and seeds).  That is according to the Peanut Allergy Answer Book.  However, there are people who have ana from contact ingestion from other allergens, too.

My son had contact ingestion reactions many times including times when we should have given the epi and a time he ended up in the ER even though he didn't eat anything.

I don't want to get into a my child has it worse than yours or any thing like that and am rushing right now but do want to say that I appreciate your asking this.  I get turned off by peanut only focus I see sometimes.  It seems so blind to me as though other FAs don't exist or only peanut is important which as you know is not the case.  So, I really appreciate you asking this.

DS was contact ingestion sensitive to seemingly all his allergens so we treated them all the same.  Recently he doesn't seem to be contact ingestion sensitive anymore or not very sensitive and it is a wonderful thing to not worry about every little thing he touches. 

becca

In preschool, a child developed total body hives from contact with spilled milk, and it was just droplets of a droplet.  He was not wet by the spill, as he was deliberately already placed away from children with milk. 

When we also had egg allergy, and we still deal with raw egg allergy, I find mayo to be a pretty high risk for cross contact.  I worry about knives at out sub shop, which is otherwise safe, and hands that may hve put mayo on another sandwich.  So, again, the handle it like raw chicken would be good there.  I do not deal with milk allergy, but i think cheese and milk products are more prevalent than PB, especially now that many schools are educated and reducing peanuts and nuts in schools.  Cheese on tacos and nachos, cheese on burgers, pizza, milk itself, yogurt and yogurt parfaits assembled in the cafeteria.  I would be very concerned if my child had milk allergy. 

So, I do not and have never thought the peanut/tree nut allergy was worse or more difficult to contain.  Threshold matters as well.  That is highly individual. 

My own child with a PA does quite well around others eating PB, granola, etc... with no reactions.  we have never had any accommodation addressing shared keyboards at school.  She is going for allergy testing today (environmental issues)and interestingly, she says she feels best at school!  I am guessing they have decent hepa filters and are pretty closed off to outside allergens.  and keep it clean.  It always seems very clean to me, given there are 2000 students there everyday, plus the faculty to teach them.  But, clearly the presence of PN/TN in lunches or snacks does not bother her.  But, that does not give me any ground to stand on in suggesting it does not bother another student.  It very well may be a challenge for others with very low thresholds. 

So, I have always had some issue with singling out the PN/TN as the most important or dangerous one to address in schools, or the one most easily spread around.  I think milk is also quite a high risk for those allergic to it.   
dd with peanut, tree nut and raw egg allergy

LaurensMom

Please dont thank me for the question. Want to make sure im understood though because I have been actually a HUGE supporter of all FAs.  The issue at had was teacher passing out PB candy in post-secondary classroom. Because of experiences past, I actually expected a "sure, lets babysit every possible celiac, PA, TN, milk, soy, watermelon, etc allergy person AND teach your kids. Do you teach them to take any responsibility". That was unfair on my part and I jumped in defense trying to explain that not all allergens pose the same risks, emphasizing opportunity, if you will. But i didnt like my blanket thought.

So im trying to gather info to be able in prep formthis educational opportunity.

Thank you all for the input. Let me ask a different way though....
If you could answer the question....

Life would be easier for my FA loved one if people did/did not____________________.

im going to modify the original post and add this question bcuz it more to the point of what im looking for.

becca

The usual response.  If people did not always give food/candy for rewards, incentives in the classroom and'or school environment. 

And, if people did not react with disdain when I need more information about the food or preparation of it.
dd with peanut, tree nut and raw egg allergy

Macabre

Oh goodness. A person with dairy or wheat allergy would have such a time at our house. And treenuts. And egg, but we are more careful with that. I woukdn't worry about egg protein being on my couch. But dairy? We eat a lot of cheese.

What I don't know is the persistence of other proteins. A study was (finally) done about the persistence of peanut protein and the same study states that Lysol/Clorox wipes effectively remove it.

But we don't know how long milk protein stays on a surface and if wipes eliminate it.  I would assume based on no real knowledge that egg protein would not break down so easily but that dairy might. But I don't know.
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

SilverLining

If people did treat sesame like they treat peanut.

My reactions to sesame are much worse than my reactions to peanut. And people don't always "get" that. Sesame seeds are healthy. People put them in salads and somehow assume that makes them safe.  :insane:

And while a lot of companies are labelling for cross contamination with peanut....not so much with sesame seeds.

TT

What is your day like with non-PA FA?

It's MFA.  The "mf" is a nice double meaning there for us.  Seriously, I can't do the non-PA, PA thing.  :dunno:

Macabre

Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

MaryM

Life would be easier if people realized that dairy is not just milk.  Can't tell you how many times people have said oh dairy allergy, your kids can have butter right?

PurpleCat

Mary - LOL!  When DD was in preschool I always got....but it's a brownie/cupcake/cookie/whatever....it's not an egg!!!  She's not allergic to brownies is she????

Really, people in the general public are a bit more educated these days and I do hear less of that silliness.

I chime in with it's MFA.  They are all life threatening.  There are many risks of exposure. 

Now in HS, DD is her own advocate, but she has come home with more weird contact reactions in HS than ever before.  I no longer have to argue with her to cover the back of her legs!  She is happy it is cool enough for long sleeves too.

CMdeux

Our life would be easier if people didn't eat everywhere, all the time.

If people washed their hands compulsively, the way they do when they are afraid of ebola.   ~)

The other thing is that no exposure is really "free" exposure when you're someone like DD, or Janelle, or one of our other members who live with that evil trio of non-PA, low-threshold, severe reaction history...

so even exposures that you kinda get away with fill that cup up, and make "the big one" that much more likely from a different exposure.  We're currently living that one, too, with DD in post-secondary. 

I'm starting to understand how it is that a student could find him/herself spiraling out of control in a post-secondary setting, honestly-- the lack of control over one's surroundings is really a-- a-- well, okay-- MFA, indeed.  The residue is SERIOUSLY pervasive, and it's a constant barrage of low-level exposure.  DD's allergy cup is so full that she really has almost no buffer for the occasional exposure via a more concentrated environmental source. 

A single reaction that is more major, recall, ALSO leaves one primed for weeks or months afterwards, too-- so this is a major worry for us right now.   :hiding:  It's probably inevitable.  But I sure don't find myself being very happy about it.

Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

YouKnowWho

Life would be easier if people took other allergens as seriously as peanut.

Short and simple and to the point.

There were guidelines in school in regards to my PA kid (who has never had a known reaction, but tests positive) that I thought were overkill for him but I knew others who had PA children appreciated so I was quiet because ultimately it would cause him no harm but if I was to confuse the issue, it could bring harm to those who do need those precautions, kwim?

There were no precautions for my wheat, rye, barley and egg allergic child and it was the whole attitude that this is totally on him and not on us attitude that pissed me off. 

So my child who has had no known reactions gets a better grade of care than my child who has suffered from anaphylaxis because well, it's just easier.

Yes, after all these years, this is a hot button topic for me.
DS1 - Wheat, rye, barley and egg
DS2 - peanuts
DD -  tree nuts, soy and sunflower
Me - bananas, eggplant, many drugs
Southeast USA

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 365 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Three blonde, blue-eyed siblings are named Suzy, Jack and Bill.  What color hair does the sister have?:
Please spell spammer backwards:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview