login
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Our luck ran out  (Read 8874 times)

Description: DD suffered anaphylaxis tonight.

Online YouKnowWho

Our luck ran out
« on: November 13, 2014, 01:59:35 AM »
Tonight, just before bed - Em saw DH's new jar of macadamia nuts and wanted to try one.  No big deal, right?  She eats peanuts and other tree nuts.  Her first reaction was yummy and then I saw her scratch her tongue.  Brushed her teeth and spotted hives.  Brought her downstairs to keep an eye on her and gave her a Benadryl.  At that point she complained about her throat and ears itching.  I no longer have an Epi Jr in the house - the boys have been on the adult version for almost two years.

I drove her to the ER and she was happily chatting with me from the backseat, made me reassure her that she wasn't getting a shot in her toe.  When we got to the ER, her eyes were swelling shut.  Answered questions for the security guard (Ebola related) and went back to the peds ER which was jam packed, standing room only full.  I said allergic reaction and we were in the back ASAP.  Doctor came in right away and ordered epinephrine, Benadryl, Tagamet, and steroids.  Within five minutes, all were on board.

Dr came back about ten minutes later and the change was amazing.  Em also told him that hospital bracelets need more bling  :misspeak:

Before we left, nurse came in to train me on the Epi pen - Em grabbed the trainer and showed her how to do it (we do random training around the house for the boys benefit, guess Em paid attention).  Nurse was impressed.  I have to say, I was too.

I brought Em home and printed out my epi coupon and headed to the 24hr pharmacy...four scrips later. 

I am dazed and confused right now.  And frankly a little sick to my stomach.  I had hoped she avoided the dreaded food allergies but I guess that was too much to hope for  :'(
DS1 - Wheat, rye, barley and egg
DS2 - peanuts
DD -  tree nuts, soy and sunflower
Me - bananas, eggplant, many drugs
Southeast USA

Offline Janelle205

Re: Our luck ran out
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2014, 02:21:16 AM »
Ugh.  Ugh ugh ugh.  So sorry YKW. 

Hoping that nothing else pops up for her and you have a quiet rest of the evening.  You need a break.  :grouphug:

Offline my3guys

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2014, 05:41:53 AM »
Yikes YKW! What a time you've had lately :-/ Hope she did ok for the rest of the night.  I love how she grabbed the epi though from the nurse.

Offline becca

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2014, 05:51:49 AM »
Oh no!  So sorry YKW.  :(  I hope she is over the reaction.  How disappointing and scary. 
dd with peanut, tree nut and raw egg allergy

Offline MaryM

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2014, 06:09:25 AM »
YKW. I hope you are both feeling better today.  Thank God your sweet littl girl is ok  :heart:.  Please take it easy today and try to take care of yourself too.   We are all thinking about you  :grouphug:.

Offline SilverLining

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2014, 06:14:33 AM »
Really sorry she and you went through this.  And I hope you both got to rest through the night.

I'm glad the hospital knew how to deal with it, rushing you through and even showing how to use an epi-pen.

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2014, 06:14:57 AM »
Ay yi yi, what a couple of weeks you are having!  :disappointed:  Thank goodness she is OK, and I'm sure the ER doc went home and told everyone about the spunky little girl who wants to upgrade the hospital bracelets.  ;)  I'm sure she made their day.  :smooch:
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2014, 06:16:40 AM »
Oh YKW what a week for you.   :heart:

You recognized the reaction right away. :thumbsup:   I hope you are throwing away the tooth brush.

I also hope you get some sleep today and take the day off from school as much as you need. Poor Em--but wow the kid has got it together. More bling is right!

Take care of yourselves today. (((Hugs)))
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline Penny

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2014, 06:19:01 AM »
What a bummer - poor Em and poor you.  But at least you are equipped to handle a food allergy but still....   :heart:

Online hezzier

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2014, 06:19:39 AM »
Sorry!  She just couldn't be the odd man (girl) out.  I guess the good news is that your are already an expert so at least you aren't learning how to deal with some new problem/issue/diagnosis, etc.

Offline rebekahc

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2014, 07:31:13 AM »
So, so sorry YKW!   :grouphug:
TX - USA
DS - peanut, tree nut, milk, eggs, corn, soy, several meds, many environmentals. Finally back on Xolair!
DD - mystery anaphylaxis, shellfish.
DH - banana/avocado, aspirin.  Asthma.
Me - peanut, tree nut, shellfish, banana/avocado/latex,  some meds.

Offline Mfamom

• Global Moderator
  • Committee Member Hermes
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2014, 08:04:17 AM »
Glad she is okay!  Good job recognizing what was happening, hang in there!  Tough few weeks for your family.   :heart:
When People Show You Who They Are, Believe Them.  The First Time.

Committee Member Hermes

Offline GingerPye

« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2014, 09:13:35 AM »
I'm so sorry about the allergy and reaction; what a horrid few weeks you are having.  Thank goodness she's fine and y'all know how to handle this stuff.  But still -- another allergy .... just UGH.  I'm sorry.   :grouphug:
DD, 25 - MA/EA/PA/env./eczema/asthma
DS, 22 - MA/EA/PA/env.
DH - adult-onset asthma
me - env. allergies, exhaustion, & mental collapse ...

Offline Scout

« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2014, 10:19:02 AM »
im glad she handled it so well, and I'm sure you will be so tired today...from stress.

Im so sorry....but now you know, and thankfully all is well....sending many hugs your way :grouphug:

Online YouKnowWho

« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2014, 10:49:28 AM »
Oh YKW what a week for you.   :heart:

You recognized the reaction right away. :thumbsup:   I hope you are throwing away the tooth brush.

I also hope you get some sleep today and take the day off from school as much as you need. Poor Em--but wow the kid has got it together. More bling is right!

Take care of yourselves today. (((Hugs)))

Mac - I didn't even think about the toothbrush.  And probably would not have tonight either - thank you for pointing that out!  (Some allergy expert, huh?)
DS1 - Wheat, rye, barley and egg
DS2 - peanuts
DD -  tree nuts, soy and sunflower
Me - bananas, eggplant, many drugs
Southeast USA