Anyone have recs for Allergists on the East Coast?

Started by ctmartin, September 11, 2015, 07:33:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ctmartin

HI, All,

Since we have "stumped" our local allergist, I am looking for recommendations for any East Coast pediatric allergists.  In the past, we have seen Dr. Burks, but he is no longer at Duke (I believe he is now dean at UNC Med School?).  We have also been up to Mt. Sinai Jaffe Food Allergy Institute... at the time of our last visit, Sampson/Sicherer were not accepting new patients, so we saw another doctor there, who has since left.  Now they are accepting patients, so I was wondering if anyone has had an experience there with either of these doctors that they would be willing to share?  We're open to anything east of the Mississippi ;)

THANKS!

ajasfolks2

What about Robert Wood at Johns Hopkins?

We don't see him but there are some here who do or have in past . . .
Is this where I blame iPhone and cuss like an old fighter pilot's wife?

**(&%@@&%$^%$#^%$#$*&      LOL!!   

GoingNuts

My elder son saw Dr. So here about 7 years ago. I really liked him, and he was able to tease out that my son's reactions to sky and hazelnut were just really bad OAS and not newly acquired allergies (his younger brother has the PN, TN, Sesame and Chick Pea allergies). 

My younger son saw Dr. Nowak there until aging out. I really like her as well.

Good luck!
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

GoingNuts

N.E. US

MaryM

We see Dr. Nowak at Mt. Sinai too.  We saw Dr. Huang first but she moved to the west coast.

yelloww

We see Dr. Schuberth at Hopkins. However, we see him at his office in a pediatric center down the road, rather than at the hospital. Super easy to get appts with him there, and the wait for food challenges is just a few weeks max.

TwoDDs

We see Dr. Wood.  LOVE him.  Came to him late when current allergist wouldn't talk about baked milk and egg with us.  I really think his expertise allowed us to expand her diet sooner than anyone else would have.  That said, the wait for IOFC is currently over a year.  But, regular and emergency appointments are easy to get.

ctmartin

Thanks for all of your responses!  I have spent the morning calling these suggested doctors to see who participates in network for our insurance ... thankfully, most of them do.  The problem is, we would be traveling a pretty great distance without an immediate ability to return.  Also ... I don't know how many of you saw my post from a few weeks ago, but we are dealing with something pretty unconventional at the moment.  Although my daughter does have FA (peanut and sesame), she recently had an ana episode after exercising, and we have no idea what to think (and neither does our local allergist).  Hence, the need for an extremely experienced doctor.  I may try to contact some of these doctors and see if they would be open to a phone consultation to at least figure out how we would proceed with treatment.  Has anyone had any experience with a phone consultation first?

GoingNuts

I've never done a phone consult, but I think exercise induced anaphylaxis would be quite familiar to any of the folks at Mt. Sinai/Hopkins.  I could definitely see a more local MD not  being as well versed or familiar. 
N.E. US

ctmartin

Yes, GoingNuts ... they all seem to be knowledgeable.  Unfortunately, no one will do a phone consult :(  Problem is we can't get up there (nor are there any openings) until after the 1st of the year, which means my daughter will have to sit out of PE all semester unless we are willing to do some mighty risky experimentation.

TwoDDs

I did see your posts about exercise induced.  Sorry you can't get in anywhere sooner.  Here is the name of a less popular doctor who, when we were seeing her, was organizing a mobile asthma unit in an effort to get more care to city residents who were suffering needlessly.  This is the only basis on which I allow myself to believe that she might be able to work with a patient experiencing exercise induced ana.  YMMV.  I did like her when we treated with her, but she was the doc who wouldn't talk baked challenges with me for my dd because of an ana reaction to dried egg white.  Again, ymmv and if you're stuck sitting out PE, she might be worth a roll of the dice.  Mary Beth Bollinger - UMMC - the number I have for her is just the main appointment line, I think 866-408-6885.

ctmartin

Thanks, everyone ... I made an appt at Mt. Sinai for 1/4 ... sure hope they can help us!

GoingNuts

N.E. US

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 365 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Three blonde, blue-eyed siblings are named Suzy, Jack and Bill.  What color hair does the sister have?:
Please spell spammer backwards:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview