login
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: CSPI Sesame Petition filed!!!  (Read 33521 times)

Description:

Offline LinksEtc

Re: CSPI Sesame Petition filed!!!
« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2015, 02:04:20 PM »
I need to get a comment in!  Glad you're done with yours!

Homa,

I'm out now, but if you want, I can email you my comment later .... maybe it will provide some inspiration  :evil:.  Try to submit as something other than "individual consumer" ... like maybe your Allergy Project group ... that way your comment will be seen (& perhaps taken more seriously).

Offline LinksEtc

« Reply #31 on: January 22, 2015, 02:14:22 PM »
I got an email about submitting a comment. I clicked link and then had no clue what to write. Any input on what comment would have the most impact?

I tried to think of what industry might argue when I wrote this last comment ... I had my pretend-I'm-a-lawyer-&-regulatory-expert hat on (which of course I'm not   :P) .... & also my I-can-talk-allergy-studies-even-though-I'm-not-a-doc hat  :).

Really, I would write about whatever you feel strongly about ... there is no "right" comment ... each of us will approach it in our own way.  Speak from your heart.   :smooch:

Offline LinksEtc

« Reply #32 on: March 18, 2015, 07:49:02 AM »
A couple of updates ...

FDA has started to process the sesame comments.  To see:

Go to www.regulations.gov

Enter FDA-2014-P-2035

In the "Document Type" area, click "Public Submission"

------------

Currently, there are 11 posted, even though about 400 comments have been received .... that is because FDA doesn't currently post comments from "individual consumers" .... if you want to see those comments you have to file a FOIA request or (I think) go to the FDA reading room.

The comment from a group of us FASers is FDA-2014-P-2035-0006.  For some reason, only the PDF format seems to be working.  Grammar police, go easy on me ... all my close people here were too busy to help out much ... I know there are some mistakes like punctuation ... but overall, I'm happy with the content of the comment.

Brian's petition https://www.change.org/p/fda-add-sesame-seeds-as-an-allergen-to-us-product-labeling-laws-require-them-to-be-disclosed-on-us-food-labels currently has over 5,600 signatures.

------------

FDA is expected to give a response by 5/25/2015 so if you want to be sure to get a comment in, make sure to submit it soon.  Now, it's possible that their "response" might be something like "we need a hearing", but it could also be a full or partial decision ...

so for anybody interested, I'd recommend getting those comments in ASAP.

« Last Edit: March 18, 2015, 11:00:38 AM by LinksEtc »

Offline LinksEtc

« Reply #33 on: March 18, 2015, 08:07:00 AM »
« Last Edit: May 17, 2017, 01:19:46 PM by LinksEtc »

Offline LinksEtc

« Reply #34 on: March 18, 2015, 08:42:07 AM »
« Last Edit: May 17, 2017, 01:24:11 PM by LinksEtc »

Offline daisy madness

« Reply #35 on: March 18, 2015, 09:12:58 PM »
Links,  I just read your comment on the FDA site and I'm doing a slow clap!  It was knowledgeable and thoughtfully written.  Excellent, excellent work. 

Offline LinksEtc

« Reply #36 on: March 18, 2015, 10:09:40 PM »
Links,  I just read your comment on the FDA site and I'm doing a slow clap!  It was knowledgeable and thoughtfully written.  Excellent, excellent work.

Awwww, thank you for your kind words ... very much appreciated.    :heart:    :smooch:

Offline LinksEtc

« Reply #37 on: May 07, 2015, 06:23:37 AM »
Update:

https://www.change.org/p/fda-add-sesame-seeds-as-an-allergen-to-us-product-labeling-laws-require-them-to-be-disclosed-on-us-food-labels/u/10667425

May 5, 2015 — The FDA has replied to our petition! Thanks for all your help with signatures and spreading the word! We're trying to schedule a time to sit down and talk about adding sesame seeds to product labels sometime this month!

Here's how you can still help -- Please spread the word again, so we can go into the meeting with lots of momentum in terms of numbers of signatures still being added to the petition. Post this petition on your social media pages and try to encourage more signatures. We don't want to go into the meeting with a "stale" petition that no one has looked at in several weeks. Thanks!

(bold mine)

Homa told me that she is attending the meeting.

I am hoping that some allergists (Hopkins, Sinai, etc.) will be going also, although I don't know this info.

« Last Edit: May 07, 2015, 06:30:40 AM by LinksEtc »

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #38 on: May 07, 2015, 06:36:09 AM »
Yea. Will post on FB.
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline LinksEtc

« Reply #39 on: May 07, 2015, 07:56:50 AM »
Yea. Will post on FB.

Thanks McC.  Do you think that it would help for FAS to RT @briheller tweet about this?  It's up to you.

Offline LinksEtc

« Reply #40 on: May 08, 2015, 10:49:11 AM »
Was so happy to see Allergic Living tweet about the sesame petition today.   :thumbsup:   :heart:

There's not much time left before the FDA meeting.

---------

I feel kinda like crossing a boundary and asking my allergist to go to the meeting or to make sure a good allergist is there on our side ...

will.be.good ... kind of

will not ask directly.   :hiding:

I have a feeling that my face may turn bright red at dd's next allergy appt.

You know, the goals of "toning it down" & "being a good mom" weren't compatible with this sesame stuff .... i get the feeling that "real" & "honest" are ok.

« Last Edit: May 08, 2015, 11:07:33 AM by LinksEtc »

Offline LinksEtc

« Reply #41 on: May 08, 2015, 02:01:37 PM »
« Last Edit: May 08, 2015, 04:02:19 PM by LinksEtc »

Offline LinksEtc

« Reply #42 on: May 12, 2015, 08:25:47 AM »
Homa is on her way to DC for the FDA sesame labeling meeting!

You can follow her on twitter at @woodrumlaw

:thumbsup:

Offline momma2boys

• Global Moderator
« Reply #43 on: May 12, 2015, 06:34:37 PM »
 :thumbsup:
peanut, treenut, sesame
Northeast, US

ninjaroll

« Reply #44 on: May 13, 2015, 03:11:20 PM »