Jury Duty and Epi Pens

Started by gufyduck, February 08, 2015, 04:52:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gufyduck

Does anyone have experience with Jury Duty and carying epi pens?  On my local court's website, I found this statement, and I'm worried.  I plan to call tomorrow but hoping for some experience.

QuoteSecurity
You will be required to go through a security check point and metal detector. Any item that may be considered to cause personal harm will be confiscated by Security Personnel and will not be returned.

The idea of possibly being around my allergens without them is frightening!

Janelle205

I haven't done Jury Duty, but went through courthouse security several times when DH and I were in family court (same building here).  I had no problem getting through security with 4 epi pens and syringes for my nebulizer medications.  They did look through my purse once and I just warned them that there were capped syringes so they would be careful.  Same thing when I went to court for my SS disability hearing.

guess

That's a concern if they are total tools.  But I would be concerned about the allergen portion and committing to duty because you would need some sort of ability to execute your emergency action plan if one of your fellow jurors turns out to be a tool disregarding the needs for avoidance.  There should be a way to request a medical waiver should you wish it.  Otherwise it's still ADA and even law enforcement must comply.

Between the lines that quote means don't bring stupid stuff like batons, baton-like, weapon like, OC spray, pen knives, tactical pens that are really batons with nib stuck on to have a secondary function to write, stun gun, flammables, unlabeled meds, mystery items, etc.  It'd have to be something more blatant than a well labeled autoinjector of adrenaline prescribed to the individual.

Macabre

I've had to go through security at a federal building, and they were totally with it as far as my epis went.  I don't think you'll have anything to worry about there.  The worry, as guess stated, is staying safe later.  Especially if you get put on a jury.
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Janelle205

I did just remember that I did have trouble at one courthouse, but it was a tiny, tiny town, and I am pretty sure that the guy had never seen them before.  Once I explained what they were for, and asked him how fast he could run up three flights of stairs if I stopped breathing, he let me through with them.  But I have never had an issue in a reasonably sized city.

The same seems to be true for airports - I never have issues with multiple nebs, liquid meds, epis and syringes at a regular airport.  The one time I had trouble was at a small, regional airport.

gufyduck

Thanks everyone!  Feeling more reassured about the epis coming in.  I also thought to check with a diabetic friend who told em she hasn't had issues with her meds.  Everyone is right staying safe will be my biggest challenge.  From what I've heard from local friends nuts will be plentiful.  I will be wearing my medic alert bracelet (I usually only wear it when traveling), will probably pick up another set of epis to have 4 on me. I have had one airborne anaphylactic reaction, but it was when the allergy cup was very full, off zyrtec for allergy testing, and I was covered in hives before even heading into the grocery store.  I'm not too worried about a repeat.  However, since then I've never been in a situation where I can't just walk out if I feel unsafe.  This will be interesting.

spacecanada

I'm not sure how it works in America, but in Canada every person selected has the opportunity to express their concerns to the judge before they are accepted onto a jury.  These may be reasons why someone cannot (or does not want to) be on a jury: schooling, vacation plans, close ties to the case, medical treatments/conditions, etc.  If your reason is valid enough, the judge can dismiss you from eligibility for that case.  This depends on the individual judge of course, but if you say 'putting me in a room where items in that room pose a risk to my life' or 'can you guarantee that you can provide an environment completely free of my allergens, and the ability to leave if I am exposed to my allergens, for the duration of my jury duty' should be reason enough.  You have to have the option to walk out of an unsafe situation - so either they have to guarantee your safety or let you opt out of jury duty.  Definitely bring your medical ID, auto injectors, and other supporting evidence of your medical condition in case they require proof.  (Can they even ask for proof of a disability?  Perhaps they can ask for proof of what accommodations may be required?)  It would be awesome to be able to be part of a jury but not if it poses a risk to your life.

I'm hoping America has something similar.  I know my call to jury duty was extremely stressful for these reasons too.  Thankfully, the case was dismissed before my jury selection date came up.  As for EpiPens (or Allerjects) through security, I have been to the court house for work and went through with up to six of them (long story) and nobody blinked.  They cannot harm anyone unless they have that heart condition listed on the exceptions.
ANA peanuts, tree nuts, wheat, potato, sorghum

SilverLining

If you get as far as speaking to a judge, you have to go through that security first though.

And they definitely have the right to require proof of disability for getting dismissed from jury duty, otherwise most people would just make stuff up.

When they were looking to get a full jury pool for the Bernardo case and I got the first letter, I spoke with my doctor. We both felt sequestered jury would be to dangerous for me. He filled out the medical forms advising why.

Macabre

QuoteThey cannot harm anyone unless they have that heart condition listed on the exceptions.

Since my son was five or so, I have told him that if he ever gets kidnapped to use an epipen as a weapon if he needs to.  Jab in the neck. The eyeball.  Whatever. 

I think it can certainly be used as a weapon.
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

spacecanada

Quote from: Macabre on February 09, 2015, 08:20:12 AMI think it can certainly be used as a weapon.
Obviously, my brain cannot come up with ideas like that...
ANA peanuts, tree nuts, wheat, potato, sorghum

guess

That's not what is meant in this instance.  There's a term for the type of improvisational weapon where virtually anything is a weapon and that sort of classification is not meant for Joe Citizen performing jury duty not subject to those sort of security measures. Those are more for inmates.  I have floated back and forth between the court room and jail.  In no way are you subjected to the same security restrictions as inmates. 

I appreciate how one may be concerned but this isn't going to land you in jail.  There should be ample opportunity and avenues for you to disclose, negotiate or otherwise make accommodations assuming (1) you want to serve (2) THEY want you to serve (3) you make it all the way through voir dire. 

Anything you could do with an autoinjector you could do with a pencil (the pencil being the more dangerous of the two circumstantially) so conjecture won't help.  What will help is working through the system.  Whoever had cited the similarity with TSA--close enough, except you may have tighter restrictions on communication devices than a flight.  That in itself may be a deal breaker.

This is from a mass .gov site but the template should serve.  Read your summons and the court's site for details on how to initiate the medical disqualification if that's what you wish to do.  It's not just about your EpiPens but where you must go, the schedule, the food, the management, the ability to excuse yourself if you have a reaction, the ability to make sure you get assistance, all for the duration of a trial you have no way of predicting.  Otherwise start initiating the request for ADA accommodations now. 

http://www.mass.gov/courts/docs/jury/sample-letter-permanent-medical-disqualification.pdf

krasota

Security at our small city courthouse has asked how likely I am to come in contact with something requiring me to use it, but the sense I get is that they want to be prepared for likely emergency scenarios--there's never been a question of me keeping them on my person.  I usually respond with, "depends.  How many sandwiches have you seen come through?" 
--
DS (04/07) eggs (baked okay now!)
DD (03/12) eggs (small dose baked), stevia
DH histamine intolerance
Me?  Some days it seems like everything.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 365 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Spell the answer to 6 + 7 =:
Please spell spammer backwards:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview