Pink Peppercorns and Thanksgiving

Started by thejteam3, November 24, 2014, 12:21:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thejteam3

We are supposed to go to a relatives house for Thanskgiving and have found out the brine they use for the turkey has pink peppercorns in it.  Our son is allergic to cashews (as well as peanuts and some other nuts) and with pink peppercorns recently in the news as being related to cashews, we don't want our son to eat the turkey.  They used the same brine last year and he didn't have any reaction, so not sure if we were just lucky?  So thinking we would just cook our own turkey breast and bring so he can eat that, but do you think the risk of cross contamination in their kitchen with the peppercorns is too high for all the other stuff they will be preparing?  Or since it isn't an actual nut but just from the same family, is it less of a risk?

SilverLining

I am not allergic to walnuts. I am allergic to peanuts.  I eat other foods in the same family as peanuts. 

I cannot tell you what you should do, but for myself, I would not be concerned about cross contamination from a different food in the same family; especially since he had eaten it before with no problem.

CMdeux

DD is allergic to cashews-- I'd skip the turkey and not worry about the rest.  That's me.

Does your child have a history of cross-reactivity within the same family/related allergens?  That is, is he also allergic to mango and pistachio?  DD is, so that plays into our decision-making there.

Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

thejteam3

Thank you for the replies.  Our son is allergic to pistachios but no clue about mangos.  Good news is that they are no longer using the brine so we don't even have to deal with it!!!    :-)

SilverLining

Glad to hear it.  It's always nice when people put family first. :)

Hope you have a great Thanksgiving.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 365 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Three blonde, blue-eyed siblings are named Suzy, Jack and Bill.  What color hair does the sister have?:
Please spell spammer backwards:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview