login
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Dare labeling?  (Read 2637 times)

Description: Do they label for possible cross-cont.?

hk

Dare labeling?
« on: December 01, 2014, 09:13:15 PM »
Is anyone familiar with Dare's labeling policy?  I'm doing a peanut free planet order and noticed that their Wagon Wheel cookies don't contain egg.  Just wondering if severely egg-allergic dd might be able to have them.  We don't do shared lines or facilities and I can't tell if they label for that or not.  Thank you!

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
Re: Dare labeling?
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2014, 12:38:36 AM »
As far as I know, they do NOT disclose shared lines for egg-- on the other hand, their cleaning policies are very very good, because DD has tolerated Dare cookies from the time she was about six, and she very definitely couldn't do salad dressings or pastas on shared lines at that point.

HTH!

Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

hk

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2014, 08:09:44 AM »
As far as I know, they do NOT disclose shared lines for egg-- on the other hand, their cleaning policies are very very good, because DD has tolerated Dare cookies from the time she was about six, and she very definitely couldn't do salad dressings or pastas on shared lines at that point.

HTH!

Thank you!  That is very helpful.

Offline hezzier

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2018, 01:51:03 PM »
So I am horrible about rechecking with companies other than online.  Someone on my NH allergy website was looking for cracker recommendations so I looked up Dare. They are only saying they are peanut free now, and I thought they used to say pn/tn free, but I could be mistaken.  Anyone know what the situation is?  SL?

Offline rebekahc

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2018, 02:02:58 PM »
Hopefully it's just because coconut was forced onto the tree nut list.  :crossed:
TX - USA
DS - peanut, tree nut, milk, eggs, corn, soy, several meds, many environmentals. Finally back on Xolair!
DD - mystery anaphylaxis, shellfish.
DH - banana/avocado, aspirin.  Asthma.
Me - peanut, tree nut, shellfish, banana/avocado/latex,  some meds.

Offline spacecanada

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2018, 05:19:55 PM »
Oh yes, this was a HUGE stir with the Girl Guide cookies, and it makes me furious that it's all nonsense.  It has NOTHING to do with coconut.  Here's the official word from Dare:

I can assure everyone that there has not been a change of policy at Dare Foods. Their production facilities are still peanut and nut free. The reason the declaration was changed is because for some types of tree nuts there are no analytical tests available. Dare was advised to remove the claim because there is no way to prove it. Dare still demands raw materials from nut free facilities and doesn't allow nuts of any kind in their bakeries.

I know this won't completely remove the anxiety for everyone, but the claim is now more accurate than it was historically with no change to the products or the process.

I have more detailed information, too.  Totally bollocks if you ask me.  We don't go around testing eery single product or ingredient we buy at home if we know it comes from a nut-free facility with sourced nut-free ingredients, and if they have certificates from each of their suppliers saying their ingredients are tree nut free, why isn't that good enough?  Their former allergen claim of 'manufactured in a peanut-free and tree nut-free facility' would still be 100% accurate!!

Other people had replies that included 'new rules' and 'labelling laws', none of which are true since may contains are completely optional.  This all sounds very political, like someone stirred up some trouble with something and now Dare is covering their butt for some reason.

Really, you don't want to get me started.  And I cannot even eat Dare products to begin with.

:rant:  So mad!!
« Last Edit: November 28, 2018, 05:22:22 PM by spacecanada »
ANA peanuts, tree nuts, wheat, potato, sorghum

Offline hezzier

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2018, 07:48:10 PM »
Thanks Space

Offline SilverLining

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2018, 10:25:13 AM »
I suspect Dare was advised by their lawyers to remove the nut free claim.

I eat their cookies. But I’m a bit more careful with crackers because s9me have a sesame warning.