login
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: 504 and the Principal  (Read 10053 times)

Description:

Offline ajasfolks2

• Committee Member Firebird
Re: 504 and the Principal
« Reply #45 on: December 23, 2014, 09:40:10 PM »
I think you will have to make up your own signature form . . . I'd be inclined to look at the school "sig forms" for other stuff where the parents must sign and use that as model.  What's good for the goose is good for the gander, right?   ;D

Sounds like teacher realizes the mistake and is not going to admit it . . . maybe ask a couple more kids/parents for data points.

Document everything.

But you know that and then some now.

:coolbeans:
Is this where I blame iPhone and cuss like an old fighter pilot's wife?

**(&%@@&%$^%$#^%$#$*&      LOL!!   

Offline MomTo3

« Reply #46 on: January 22, 2015, 01:48:57 AM »
Teacher wouldn't even look at me through the meeting.  Principal just nodded.  No one really addressed the violations- I just repeated how the #1 thing is DO NOT FEED THE KID. 

And they want to ADD food to the classroom?????   Really?  WTH? "It's the best motivator we have."  I suggest that perhaps that needs to change because there are going to be more and more kids coming through with issues (not only FA's).  She didn't even care. I don't think she was even listening at that point, too busy rolling her eyes at everything.

The districts person who was there also said of the prior 504 "This is set up to be violated!"  Well, your people are the ones who wrote, signed and so on for several years now.  I did manage a note from the Dr. that said they need to keep wiping things down but because he specifically mentioned peanut but the original document say milk, egg and highly sensitized to peanut and tree nut they were balking (well, does it matter which specific allergen he noted?  The remedy is the same so you are being pedantic people!)

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #47 on: January 22, 2015, 06:02:36 AM »
Oh wow. I don't have anything helpful to add until I've had some coffee--and even then--this is unbelievable.  But (((hugs)))

I hope you've treated yourself to some time for you. It can be really hard after a meeting like that.
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline ajasfolks2

« Reply #48 on: January 23, 2015, 09:30:59 AM »
In my eyes the problem is the principal going maverick like he or she is a one-person Halloween special, peddling sweets and encouraging ingestion in direct opposition of 504 compliance, an unreasonable expectation placed upon the child's age-appropriate ability to self advocate, and common sense

<respectfully snipped>

Oh, how I love this statement!!  Needed to see it big and bold!   ;D

Offline ajasfolks2

« Reply #49 on: January 23, 2015, 09:44:00 AM »
Did you use digital recorder and record the meeting?  Were you the only one at meeting on "your side" and everyone else was school staff? 

Your teacher has been instructed by admin to STFU at meetings and say nothing to you, is my guess.

Offline MomTo3

« Reply #50 on: January 23, 2015, 11:27:45 AM »
Oh she had PLENTY to say.  About how this and that and this wasn't working (which she made NO mention of to us in the last 6 months they've been in the class with him or brought to our attention).  She just wouldn't look at me.

My DH did go too so it was us vs. the 5 of them. We did not record it as 1) we were thinking we were just discussing the violation and 2) DH though that would be to adversarial against my better judgement.

Offline ajasfolks2

« Reply #51 on: January 24, 2015, 09:38:17 AM »
If you record, they must record too so all you must do is notify them ahead and bring recorder next time.  I know it may seem adversarial, but it's necessary for all sides that things be fully documented in order to help avoid "misunderstandings" . . . so couch it that way as a "help" for all and proceed accordingly.

Offline ajasfolks2

« Reply #52 on: January 24, 2015, 09:41:03 AM »
Sit in the quiet of the morning or late evening and try to write down (or email yourself or compose Word doc) every detail you can recall from the meeting.

Keep the emotion out of it, however it's ok to describe if/when certain person's behaved emotionally (including yourselves) and/or to include how you were made to feel.
Then email it to yourself as an attachment so you've got date stamp and put it in your records & documents.  At least you'll have that.

guess

« Reply #53 on: January 24, 2015, 10:46:23 AM »
Have you been provided a handbook on procedural safeguards and your rights in due process from the district?  Meaning, did they give you a copy prior to any meetings?

Prior to meetings do they send you a list of team member attendees?

Did they provide you with the sources they used to come to this decision?  Did you provide them with any sources to confirm or counter theirs?

Did they provide you with meaningful participation in the discussion to alter placement?

It's okay to ask for meeting notes but do ask in FERPA compliant form. 

If the answer to any of those is "no" then take 10 minutes to recall those dates and note that you were not provided said items.  An email to yourself CC'd to your spouse with a title you'll use for all these sort of notes will work but be sure to print it out and put it in the binder that will become the 504 archives.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2015, 10:50:11 AM by guess »